2014 FC Kansas City Roster

Discussion in 'KC Current' started by Forgedias, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    http://www.fckansascity.com/2014/04/07/fc-kansas-city-announces-2014-opening-day-roster/

[​IMG]

FC Kansas City announced today the team’s Opening Day roster for the 2014 National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) season. The team also announced the signings of goalkeeper Sara Keane and midfielder Mandy Laddish to complete the roster. Per team and league policies, the terms of the contracts were not disclosed.

2013 NWSL Coach of the Year, Vlatko Andonovski has adopted the motto “Finish It” for his team this year, and feels that he has the roster to improve on last season’s efforts. He returns all of his NWSL Award winners last season: Lauren Holiday (MVP, Golden Boot), Becky Sauerbrunn (Defender of the Year), Nicole Barnhart (Goalkeeper of the Year) and Erika Tymrak (Rookie of the Year).

The team also added U.S. Women’s National Team players, Amy Rodriguez and Amy LePeilbet, along with Polish National Team defender, Nikki Phillips (nee Krzysik) to bolster their lineup. All six of the team’s 2014 College Draft picks also earned a spot on the roster.

In June, the team will add two more world-class players in Sarah Hagen and Katrina Gorry. Hagen will return to the United States following the completion of her season with FC Bayern Munchen of the German FrauenBundesliga, where she’s played since 2012. Gorry is currently in Australia helping her national team (commonly known as the ‘Matildas’) earn a spot in the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup. The Matildas will be competing in the Asia Cup from May 14-25 in Vietnam.

FC Kansas City opens the NWSL season for the second straight season. The Blues will play Sky Blue FC at 7:00p.m. CT on April 12 at Verizon Wireless Field at Durwood Stadium on the UMKC campus. Tickets start at $14 and are available by calling 855.4KC.GOAL.

DETAILED ROSTERGOALKEEPERS (3) – Nicole Barnhart (FC Kansas City), Sara Keane (West Virginia University), Cecilia Santiago** (Boston Breakers)
    DEFENDERS (6) – Kassey Kallman (Florida State), Amy LePeilbet (Chicago Red Stars), Nikki Phillips (San Diego Sea Lions), Leigh Ann Robinson (FC Kansas City), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Nia Williams (FC Kansas City)
    MIDFIELDERS (10) – Jen Buczkowski (FC Kansas City), Katrina Gorry* (Brisbane Roar), Sarah Hagen* (Bayern Munchen), Lauren Holiday (FC Kansas City), Maegan Kelly (Marquette University), Mandy Laddish (Notre Dame), Merritt Mathias (FC Kansas City), Jenna Richmond (UCLA), Frances Silva (West Virginia University), Erika Tymrak (FC Kansas City)
    FORWARDS (4) – Liz Bogus (Seattle Reign FC), Melissa Henderson (FC Kansas City), Morgan Marlborough (Santa Clara University), Amy Rodriguez (Seattle Reign FC)
    * – Will report to team in June 2014
    ** – Injured

2. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  3. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  4. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    That is a very interesting article. That 4-1-4-1 formation is basically the formation I was looking at to fit in 2 forwards for FCKC. Its the 4-4-2 diamond midfield. Use one defensive midfielder, 3 attacking midfielders and 2 forwards. So FCKC are thinking of changing up their go to formation to incorporate the size of their 2 target forwards. I like it. I means more playing time for Melissa as well since she could get on the field more.

5. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  6. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    So is Amy LeP going to play tomorrow?

7. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I doubt it, I can't recall her being anything but out on the injury report. I will be more hopeful once she moves to questionable or probable.

8. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Maegan is a great player and we'll miss her, sorry I can't say more than that FCKCEvans.

LeP is getting closer every day. When I've seen her at training, it is exciting. I expect her to be back sooner than later. Not as soon as tomorrow though.

9. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm a fan of Kelly, she was a fantastic area high school player. It just seemed she was one of FCKCs weaker attackers. All the best to her, great family too.

I'm highly anticipating LEP return. We paid a high price for her so I hope she works out.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Here's a novel idea to try given the current defensive woes, play Arod as DM along with Bucz.
    In addition to speed, she's very energetic, a very good one on one defender and is capable of holding the ball to relieve pressure and play the easy pass. These are all the things you need in a good DM. Sure she doesn't have the height but Bucz does.
    This partnership will be similar to what you see with Winters and Fishlock in seaatle where one person controls the air (Winters) and the more bigger/physical player while the other roams around putting pressure on opposing players leading to the easy turnovers. To me, Fishlock and Arod are similar players in more ways than one.

11. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

This won't work because everyone thinks A-Rod is a bum, is the reason why FCKC's back-line is currently getting torched.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  12. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    So can NWSL teams just waive players whenever they want? It kind of sucks for players to be told you've made the team roster and then get cut a few weeks into the season.

13. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    Well she managed to appear in the midw
    Yes they can be waived or traded at anytime unless they were able to negotiate prohibitions in their contract.

14. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I kind of assumed Kelly would be cut in June when Gorry/Hagen arrived any way. I'm assuming KC has a pending player move for Kelly to be cut in April or perhaps, like her sister she has decided to go overseas and play.

CometsFan repped this.
  15. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nobody has ever said that, except you. :rolleyes:

16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I remember a time not too long ago when people said she's not a good defender and she shouldn't play midfield...

Anyway... I don't think Richmond is the problem (despite newsouth's many protestations and attempt to turn it into everyone else blaming A-Rod or something). Heck, even Vlatko agrees with me:

17. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Zadorsky has joined Ottawa Fury W-League team. So that already distant hope has been dashed.

18. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Sigh.... Thanks for the update.

19. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    OUT: Kassey Kallman (left groin strain), Amy LePeilbet (left knee soreness), Morgan Marlborough (right ankle sprain)
    DOUBTFUL: None
    QUESTIONABLE: None
    PROBABLE: Liz Bogus (right hamstring strain), Melissa Henderson (right ankle sprain), Erika Tymrak (low back pain)

Leroux vs. Williams? Goebel vs. Robinson? Need to start Silva at RAM and get even more offense.

20. jigsawill

jigsawill Member

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You can figure out ways to get Katrina Gorry on the field but I would love to know what they plan on doing with Sarah Hagan.

21. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    If Arod is smart she realizes she needs to be unique to make the USWNT squad. That probably means being able to play 2 positions affectively. She's proven to be an effective lone forward but that isn't the way the NT is going... She has got to develop at AM. Here's my ideal line up.

Barnhart
    Mathias-Brunn-Kallmam-Robinson
    Buz-Richmond
    Arod-Holiday-Tymrak
    Hagen

With Gorry and Silva off the bench in offensive situations and Phillips or LePeilbet for defense. Tough calls ahead though. I haven't been convinced Tymrak can put in a full 90 min so perhaps Gorry can slot in there? I haven't seen enough of Gorry but could she slot into Richmond/Buz bc neither are destroyers more possession/positioning dmids any way. Who knows....

22. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I just saw Portland waived Sullivan. KC must waive one person but who? My vote is Nia Williams as Merritt Mathias has proven to be effective, if not a little raw at outside back. I just don't think Nia has the speed/athleticism.

Your thoughts?

23. jigsawill

jigsawill Member

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Katrina Gorry has been on an absolute tear for Australia in the Asian Cup. Break out star! They are calling her the Mini Messi for crying out load. lol Her best position is CAM which Holiday already plays so I'll be interested to see what the do. She is very small 4' 8" but she can crack the ball with the best of them.

Either one of them could be cut.

FCKCEvans repped this.
  24. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I still think one of the forwards is gonna end up being traded. If they could get a solid CB for one of them, I think that would be a huge improvement for the team.

25. jigsawill

jigsawill Member

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Trade Sarah Hagan to Houston for Whitney Engen maybe? Wow... that would be a fantastic deal for FCKC. Can you imagine the WNT CB paring on one team? That's scary.