2014 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by ceezmad, Aug 19, 2013.

1. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Tancredi coming in late like Press?

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hey Alyse, Hey Rory, who's going to score goals for you until Press and Tancredi get there?...3 months into the season.

3. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yes

4. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Protected - Zakiya Bywaters, Lori Chalupny, Taryn Hemmings, Jennifer Hoy, Adriana Leon (CAN), Leslie Osborne, Christen Press (USA), Rachel Quon (CAN), Casey Short, Taylor Vancil

Unprotected - Shannon Boxx (USA), Amy LePeilbet (USA), Ella Masar, Alyssa Mautz, Jacqueline Santacaterina, Julianne Sitch, Melissa Tancredi (CAN), Lindsay Tarpley, Lydia Vandenbergh, Michelle Wenino

So Chicagos list makes sense, not too far off from what I had. Boxx, LePeilbet, and Tancredi won't get picked. I think either Masar, Mautz, or Sitch gets picked and when one does pull one of the two back and see if they get picked.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So the Red Stars leave both of their USWNT allocations unprotected. They also leave Tancredi unprotected.

So...... let's deduct from what we see here.

Boxx won't be picked up because no one knows when or if she will be back.

Amy Lepielbet - I don't know what's the deal here. I do know that not once since she has been allocated to Chicago did she ever mention that in her Twitter. Maybe she just doesn't want to be here. If that's the case, let her go.

Tancredi- Either yesterday's trade was just to get Mcleod out of town or they know Waldrum will not pick her back up. Hmmmmm????

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Or it could mean that part of the McLeod deal involved Houston not picking any other allocated player. Either that or Amy do want to move.

7. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Press and Tancredi weren't there last year and they still scored 32 goals (Which btw was as much as Portland). I know you were extremely disappointed in Grings so it's not like they are losing much there. I think with a healthy Bywaters, Hoy, Chalupny, and an improved Leon they will be fine until June. Not to mention whomever they draft.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #108 SiberianThunderT, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    Exactly. For as much as we liked talking about forwards, the big difference between playoff teams and CHI/BOS were the defenses.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm just happy they protected Lori Chalupny, our Captain, the face of the Red Stars, the best player.
    ....and Adriana Leon.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I think if it was possible Chicago would have used all 10 spots to protect Chalupny

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you got them right.

12. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching the u-20 US women vrs costa rica. The US leads 3-0 thanks to a Lindsey Horan hat trick in the first half. This is someone the red stars should look at. She is currently the only one that is not in college. She plays for PSG in France.

13. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    The Red Stars could not afford her. She got a reported six-figure salary from PSG.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Lindsey Horan skipped going to University of North Carolina because Paris St. Germaine women's side offered her a six-figure contract to play pro in France. The Red Stars may better afford to pay for a full season at Toyota Park then pay for Lindsey Horan. :D

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    OK u can have Horan for two years or they can play one game in Toyota Park on ur birthday.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm still hoping the Red Stars can arrange a double header or two with the Fire at beautiful Toyota Park sometime in the future.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Maybe they could bring in WSL team when the Fire play Tottenham

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ella to Houston :(

421695370834767872 is not a valid tweet id

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I like Ella, She has a winning smile. And has been a serviceable player for the Red Stars for several years.

But I am also happy for her as she will now get plenty of playing time and possibly start with Houston.

Ella was not going to be a consistent starter up front for the Red Stars especially when Press and Tancredi get to Chicago.

Ella loves soccer. She just wants to play and she will get that opportunity in Houston with some very good players. a green, grass field and warm weather.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #120 MRAD12, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    A lot of speculation on these boards and on twitters that the Red Stars may be poised to get Karina LeBlanc from Portland.

True or not, as of now it is all speculation by fans who are trying to put 2 and 2 together.

However, if the speculations do come to fruition, please let it not be by trading one of the #3 or #4 picks. LeBlanc, although had a wonderful year last season with Portland, IMO is not worth one of those two picks. LeBlanc is talented but getting older. She isn't even as good as the goalkeeper the Red Stars just traded. I feel she probably fed off the JELD-WEN crowds last season and played over her head. I don't know if she will be able to do the same in Chicago.

If you really want to trade one of your two top picks, go after Kelley O'Hara. I would even take Jill Loyden back to the Red Stars over the aging LeBlanc.

There are plenty of quality goalkeepers out there you can get without trading those all important top picks. Go get one.
    Develop the young but talented Taylor Vancil.

Then take those #3 and #4 picks and go and draft Vanessa DeBernardo and Julie Johnston or Kassey Kallman in the college draft.

DO NOT WASTE the #3 and #4 picks. Too important to the future of this team.
    Just my opinions.

ForeverLOST108 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    totally agree.

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not arguing one way or the other about LeBlanc -- I have my own personal hopes, but I don't think they're relevant. I do think, however, that goalkeepers were a disproportionately big factor in the 2013 WPSL season and are likely to be for several years to come until back lines settle down and the defenders get to know each other better.

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't know about the WPSL season, but I think the NWSL defenses were pretty good overall, at least for the four playoff teams.

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just don't want to see the Red Stars make a big mistake. If you can get LeBlanc for cheap, then fine.
    If the speculations become true, then why would Portland want to replace her in the first place if she was all that??

Getting her in exchange for the 3rd round pick - sure, the 2 picks in the first round - def. not!

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire