2014 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by ceezmad, Aug 19, 2013.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm sure Casey Short will be a fine addition to this team. According to the FSU site she was an ACC Academic Honor Roll all 4 years of school. I like that. Her soccer resume through college is impressive. And I as a fan of this team welcome her back home.

But the big news for me would be if the announcement comes that Christen Press has been allocated to the Red Stars. Then I will do cartwheels and scream with delight. We can only hope.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm sure Casey Short will be a fine addition to this team. According to the FSU site she was an ACC Academic Honor Roll all 4 years of school. I like that. Her soccer resume through college is impressive. And I as a fan of this team welcome her back home.

But the big news for me would be if the announcement comes that Christen Press has been allocated to the Red Stars. Then I will do cartwheels and scream with delight. We can only hope.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    "We are in a bit of a holding pattern with our roster as we await details of our 2014 allocation,” Red Stars coach Rory Dames acknowledged in a statement.

The big thing is they need to know by the college draft. Having Press or not may determine how they pick at #2.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you know for a fact that she is "sight unseen," that Chicago has not done any due diligence to see if she's recovered from her surgery and is going to be able to play?

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Casey Short should have been the #11 pick last year, not the #5 pick.
    She's good, but not a Top 5 rookie (even in last year's draft).
    The #11 pick in this draft is about as equivalent to the #5 pick in last year's draft (where Short was drafted).
    So basically, Boston got that pick back.

But Chicago has a lot of quality draft picks, and they decided to trade that #11 pick for Short (while retaining the #2 and #3 picks). Short is a local player, and can step in and be a quality role player for them, if healthy. She could eventually develop into a solid starter for them down the road.

Overall, this could end up being a good trade for both teams.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I read she is doing her rehab at Florida St with her college team. I wouldnt be surprised that she has had contact with the Red Stars at least thru a third party. The other thing is it's kinda soon. She was injured in March which makes it 7 months or so. While they can certainly gauge how the rehab is going I doubt she is at a high enough percentage to be sure at this point.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not to really get off track but in other Chicago news, the Chicago Fire let go of coach Frank Klopas and President of Soccer Operations Javier Leon today. The official news is they are stepping down. Doesn't surprise me. I'm a Fire fan as well and go to all the Fire home games. I just don't post on the Fire thread as much even though I know many of the posters.

Maybe the Fire can get some top execs that will also be willing to work with the Red Stars.

8. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Short has been at FSU for 5 1/2 years (Freshman in fall '08, hopefully she has her undergrad degree, she could even have a grad degree by now). Maybe she wants to live at/close to home for what ever reasons (including rehabbing), instead of going to Boston for what they will pay (we know its not much either place). The teams may have been able to come to a trade in order to accommodate her (Chicago could use her and Boston gets a pick instead of rights to an unhappy player).

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Money is the great equalizer. If they give u absurd money to sign as they do in some sports, u can over look a lot of stuff. If they arent paying u much, then things like friends and situation enter into it more.

JanBalk repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Maribel is out, Quon goes from regular player to allocated player and we get Press as new allocation.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Garza is out as well, though unlike Dominguez she's solidly allocated to another team. I could see Chicago picking up Dominguez as a free agent; at least I seriously hope that's what happens.

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    They really should pick her up and if not I can see her landing in Houston

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I believe Dominguez will be resigned by Chicago.

Let's not forget we are in the trade days between today and Monday. there could be some trades happening.

There is only one, well two now players that are sacred for the Red Stars. One of course is Press. The other is Lori Chalupny. The others as far as I'm concerned can be traded or released for the betterment of the team.

If the Red Stars get DiBernardo in the draft she can play alongside Lori with Adriana Leon and Bywaters on the outside mids. With Lepielbet at Center D, Rachel Quon, Taryn Hemmings and Santacaterina or Julie Johnston as draft pick on defense. Press and Hoy at forwards. Solid team.

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Don't see Casey Short on the Red Stars roster??

16. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably just not officially signed yet.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Alright, so I was worried when I heard that Canadian allocation would be eligible for the draft. That said, a closer reading of the rules shows that there are no limits to protecting Canadians as there are to protecting USWNTers. So, as a thorough look, I want to tease out what the Red Stars' list might look like, which is hard since I don't know (aside from allocations) who definitely was planning on returning to the team this year....

Of the six allocations, I would think they leave either Boxx of LeP unprotected, and should protect the other five. (Although if the Red Stars were the team Angerer was aiming for, I could see them potentially leaving McL exposed. Also, I think they would be required to protect Angerer if that was the case.) If the Red Stars are trying to keep Maribel, then I think the rules require her to be protected as well.

That'd be either five or six players protected. That leaves the Red Stars four or five protection slots left, assuming there aren't any "hidden" players that require protection. With that note, here's my list of players to protect assuming they're eligible to being with, in order of importance:
    -Lori
    -Jackie
    -Ella
    -Jen
    -Taryn
    -Alyssa
    -Julianne

18. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LePelbit
    Press
    McLeod
    Hoy
    Masar
    Bywaters
    Quon
    Osborne
    Leon
    Chalupny

I don't think Hemmings or Short will get picked coming off of major injurys. Boxx won't get picked because of obvious reasons. I say Mautz gets picked, then pull back Sitch or Vancil and see what happens.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    First Chalupny and Boxx, now Tanc! It really is Athletica north! ^.^

...Though I could easily see Boxx exposed and taken in the draft, exposed because she's likely going to be 'out' most of the year and taken because she's Fightin' Irish.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #95 MRAD12, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    I just hope Alyse Lahue and Rory Dames know what they are doing.

I am an engaged fan. I cheer loudly for the Red Stars and I will give the front office the benefit that they know what they are doing and I will support them.

But as a paying customer and season ticket holder ever year the Red Stars have been in the pro leagues, I WILL hold Arnim, Rory, and Alyse accountable for the success of this team.
    And to me nothing less then playoffs will do this year.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So is Rory now going to push Taylor Vancil to become a starter?

22. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    McLeod was awful last season, so it seems like a good trade to me. Even if they don't get Angerer, there are plenty of other quality keepers in the league.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm not second guessing this trade. For all we know this trade may have had to happen. . Maybe Mcleod wanted out of Chicago and maybe Tancredi didn't want to play for Waldrum again? Who knows??
    Vancil did a good job when she went in last year. But we'll see about the goalie situation.

I'm talking in general though.

As far as I'm concerned as long as Lori Chalupny is protected, trading everyone or anyone else for the BETTERMENT of the team is fine with me.

Having said that, I like Adriana Leon. I think she fits well with the CRS. I hope the Red Stars keep her.

I also believe they made a mistake last year by signing Leslie Osborne instead of going after Jen Buczkowski.

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh yeah, many people on different blogs have Ella Masar as protected. Why? I like Ella. Good kid. But she has been inconsistent everywhere she has played in the pro ranks. I don't recall Ella tearing it up last year or scoring a bushal full of goals.

And this thing about local girl and being the face of the team. Not for me. Lori Chalupny is the face of the Chicago Red Stars now.

I say leave Ella unprotected along with Shanon Boxx and see what happens. Use the protected slots for players that will be here and potential starters. Ella is not a starter.

25. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Because even though she wasn't great and didn't start every game, she was still the 2nd best offensive player on the team? (when going by goals+assists. Sitch had the same total, but played 371 more minutes and had less goals so I give the edge to Masar)