2014-2015 NBA Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by os_mutante, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I guess as far as quality, but obviously as you know. They are totally different.

One assist and defends, the other just scores.

2. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sure but someone going at Derrick would speed up his process of finding his best form

benni... repped this.
  3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It's just a weird theory to me. The Heat didn't win because Bosh is a scoring big, they won because they had Lebron James and D-Wade and Bosh is a very good 3rd wheel. Replace Bosh with Tyson Chandler and the Heat probably still find a way to get it done. And Tyson probably gets a lot more points on put backs and dunks. That doesn't make him a scoring big.

And there are big men who score, like David Lee and Elton Brand and Boozer, etc. who may be able to get points, but they just aren't good enough to help a team win a championship as much more than role players.

The things about your theory I agree with are: you need to have a) size mis-matches, length, or someone like Rodman who plays like he's huge, and b) ways to get easy buckets and buckets in the half court which usually comes in the paint -- but Jordan and Lebron (or Popovic) can accomplish this for you as well as Duncan or Shaq. The Pistons didn't win because Rasheed was a scoring big, they won because they had size advantages at many positions, they played great defense, they were physical, and they played like a team. The reason they lost to the Spurs the following year was in part because they had no one who could get easy buckets - the "scoring big" wasn't such a huge scorer.

4. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Congrats to the city where I am from. Playoff ball returns to the 504.

5. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yeah - sounds like they played great to get there. Crazy OKC are out. Sucks that Spurs will drop to 6.

6. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yea, Pels look kinda dangerous, Jrue, Gordon, Tyreke, Anderson/Asik, AD.

Best of luck to everyone in the playoffs. #Lottery

7. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    unbelievable...all of the hardwork at the end for nothing. we went from 7th....to 6th.
    the clippers are no joke. gotta win one of the first two.

the road to repeating will be difficult if not impossible!:D

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Whoa, the Pelicans made it in? Nice.

9. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    The series against the Spurs will be extremely difficult. They're the team I was hoping we would avoid in the first round. Going against the most in-form team doesn't feel me with optimism, but we'd eventually face off.

The team that will progress is basically in the finals.

10. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    i actually preferred houston/memphis instead of the clippers.

********ing pacers....come on. way to get blown out on your home floor with a playoff spot on the line.

jordan better start practicing his foul shots. #hackajordan :D

11. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    As did I with the Blazers/Houston. But I guess the basketball gods wanted atleast one competitive first round series. :D

Waliatiger repped this.
  12. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Houston got so lucky the Spurs and Clips got screwed. The Brow had a monster game that is how you show your a top 5 player on this league play big when it matters vs Big teams. Finally the season is over my Lakers and Kings ugh awful.

13. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The pacers were on the road @memphis playing a much better team who were motivated not to drop to 6th seed.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My bracket. Lets see...

East
    Atlanta over Brooklyn
    Cleveland over Boston
    Chicago over Milwaukee
    Washington over Toronto

Atlanta over Washington
    Cleveland over Chicago

Cleveland over Atlanta

West
    Golden State over New Orleans
    Houston over Dallas
    San Antonio over Los Angeles
    Memphis over Portland

Golden State over Memphis
    San Antonio over Houston

Golden State over San Antonio

Finals: Golden State over Cleveland.

Me homer? Nah. :D

15. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I could see that happening. Well if the Spurs stay as hot as they are I would pick them over the Golden State Warriors, but yeah. I wonder if a first round exit changes anything with the Clippers as far as roster decisions go.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    East
    Atlanta over Brooklyn
    Cleveland over Boston
    Chicago over Milwaukee
    Washington over Toronto

Washington over Atlanta
    Chicago over Cleveland

Chicago over Washington

West
    Golden State over New Orleans
    Houston over Dallas
    San Antonio over Los Angeles
    Portland over Memphis

Golden State over Portland
    San Antonio over Houston

Golden State over San Antonio

Finals: Golden State over Chicago

18. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Reports on Twitter that Brooks job as OKC's coach is uncertain at this moment. I really don't get it and I was one of those who were saying that OKC needed Brooks to improve the most in order for them to really contend. He's won COY has improved almost every young player that has joined his squad and if it weren't for their injury problems this year, they'd probably be the number one favourite in the West.

19. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    my mistake.

20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think a lot of it has to do, for me at least, with Westbrook seemingly being given the green light to do whatever he wants. There's no way he would get away with playing so extraordinarily out-of-control if it were Popovich at the helm, for example. And while Westbrook did win a lot of games singlehandedly, he also lost a lot of games singlehandedly, and I'm shocked at how little his decision-making has improved. Its a damning indictment of Brooks.

21. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    But that's just Westbrook. That's like saying Kobe shouldn't be allowed to do what he wants. I mean, I want to see some of that recklesness in Griffin sometimes. I'm not sure about him losing any games singehandedly though. He and Durant works best when they're given freedom. Could they do better in a Pop like system? Yes, but so could any player in the league. That doesn't mean your coach isn't good enough.

And his decision making has improved, that's why his scoring numbers are up as well as assists and he's always been good on the defensive end.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I thought Brooks was widely considered as pretty bad.

Waliatiger repped this.
  23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You think the Clippers will go to the Finals if they beat the Spurs? Let's all agree this series has a good chance of sucking massively - I'll give you 3 guesses why and the first two don't count.

But if you were going to get the Spurs, I think the first round is probably the best time because the Clippers youth and athleticism will be less worn down than in later rounds + homecourt advantage and some serious hunger to do better - I think the Spurs are a better team but Clippers are really going to be a dangerous matchup - it could go either way I think.

On the one hand, the Spurs have a tough route to go on the road every round, on the other hand, if any team doesn't need homecourt, it's the Spurs who often play better on the road, and if their route is Clips, Rockets, GSW - that doesn't seem too terrible?

24. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I meant the conference Finals. If they progress, I think either team is going to play in WCF.

The Spurs are the favourites and with their current form, I wouldn't be surprised if this ended in 5.

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I wouldn't be surprised either but anything can happen. Especially if Clips can get it to 7.