2014-2015 NBA Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by os_mutante, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

MatthausSammer repped this.
  2. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    The GSW and Memphis will face off in a few days, which will IMO be the deciding game for the no. 2 spot. As it stand the Grizzlies, Spurs and Clippers all have the same record, with the Rockets just .5 games behind.

I hate divisions. Since when does a team that has won 3 games less than 3 other teams deserve to have homecourt?

3. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They don't hold homecourt, they just don't have a lower seed than 4

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't watch college ball. Just highlights etc

Can't judge a college player till I've seen them in the nba really

Sometimes players become really good who aren't top 10 picks so it very much is a lottery

Waliatiger repped this.
  5. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Duncan is the best PF of all time if I had to start a franchise I would pick Duncan first from all past or current HOF players and yes that includes Jordan and LBJ. To have A big who is that talented offensively, great defender but overall a great leader and person cannot be matched. To even compare Oakafor to Duncan at this point or any point is crazy!!! Oakafor got schooled by Kaminsky a guy who won't even last 3 years in the NBA.

6. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So I know Portland is locked into the 4th seed since they will win the Northwest divison but because they will have a lower record then the 5th seed does that mean they do not get homecourt in the 1st round.​

7. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep, whoever has the best record holds homecourt. The 4th seed is just locked so they can't drop into a 1vs 8 matchup.

8. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You don't seem to be responding to my posts - like discussions where someone evokes a great player in describing someone's developing game and then the argument can't get away from the comparison. I didn't say I think he will be as good as Duncan - but I'm telling you that people think his offense is ahead of where Duncan was at a similar stage in his development. He should be a very effective offensive pro player if he has the work ethic to go with the talent - that's a big if. So is whether he can stay healthy.

But a big man with size and offensive skill can go far in the playoffs.

9. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okafor is the best player in this draft. I worry about Towns.

10. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    What's not to get? A guy with post moves who can play with his back to the basket.

11. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Without wanting to re-read paragraphs on Okafor, what are the problems people find with Okafor? He's the best player in the draft IMO.

12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He sucks on defence and is a meh defensive rebounder and we're not sure to what extent the defensive problems are fixable. He also currently has problems with scoring on NBA-calibre athletes at center like Utah's Poetl, although IMO these problems are much more fixable. I'd say he projects as something like Al Jefferson in the NBA. Is Al Jefferson worth a 1st overall pick? Particularly when you have a much better defensive prospect with almost as much offensive potential as Okafor in Towns?

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    First of all, you definitely can be elite in this league without being crazy good on defense - just ask guys like Amar'e Stoudemire, Melo, KD, or Nowitzki.

I've never heard this theory that offense is easier to learn in the pros than defense? Really? Defensive improvement is usually about effort - even guys like Melo can be passable when he cares to try. And Harden apparently has been better than awful this year.

Try teaching big men what Okafor can do with either hand on offense - let's see how far you get. Teach Tyson Chandler to do anything but dunk? How about Dwight Howard?

Here's another example of a big man improving on D:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...in-the-east-with-an-assist-from-patrick-ewing

Catracho_Azul, zohee and P to the Wee repped this.
  14. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And what defensive issues do you see with him

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    WTF? onefineesq is a cool guy - and even if he wasn't we don't allow personal attacks if that's what that was.

16. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Does Tim Duncan become as great as he is as a player without Pop?

17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Yes and no. I think he was extremely good early on in his career - whether he would have the titles and longevity? I'm not so sure.

19. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    His lack of lateral quickness and slowfootedness, which makes him generally a step behind the play, whether it's getting burned on the pick-and-roll, or being slow to help contain dribble penetration. His lack of awareness and effort at times compounds the problem. He's not a great rim protector, despite his wingspan and size, and he particularly struggles with guys that are able to face him up and drive past him. He's also not a very physical defender and often doesn't use his strength to its full extent when defending in the post.

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Lol slime = bro. That reaction is priceless.

All this Okafor hate. Shameful. Towns is the reverse Okafor, good D, has like one move on O (the hook) with a decent to below average mid range shot and pass. Can't create his own space or shot down low and goes cold for stretches a lot.

benni... repped this.
  21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do you believe that Towns has more potential on offence than Okafor on defence, out of curiosity?

22. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yet you don't doubt Towns' defensive ability? Why not?

I also strongly disagree that Okafor is slow footed. He can get to the baseline whenever the hell he wants on offense because he is quick. He can make multiple moves happen in the low post because of the agility and light feet. You can't be agile and quick on one end and not the other. His issues are mental in terms of understanding how to play there etc..

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Ooooo that's rough. Man, that's tough.

24. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Im curious did you watch Okafor come out of HS? After all he is from The Chi.

25. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, he isn't able to pull off the stuff he did at Whitney Young at Duke, but probably will in the NBA.