2014-2015 NBA Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by os_mutante, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Pretty much everything I said about Atlanta before .... forget it. They lose a pretty decent match-up guy off the bench, and every team needs them. What a buffoon.

2. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Keep winning Toronto, we want the 4 seed!

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hilarious ...... but only because it is true.

4. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Can you plz go in-depth as to why Okafor will never be as good as Timmy?? I dont think you've really made yourself clear.

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't really get the Duncan comparison with Jahlil. I like the comparison of Andrew Bynum without the attitude/injuries and less defensive potential personally.

6. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    hack a josh smith ftw!:cool:

rockets shot almost 60 free throws. lol

7. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I guess I was wrong about the old man tired Spurs got to eat a big plate of crow @dark knight. They are surging, rockets having that typical April collapse.

dark knight repped this.
  8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Lolol. I guess Harden could create enough contact on that last blocked shot?

dark knight and Rossonero23 repped this.
  9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1934 onefineesq, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    I don't' know if you are kidding, so I will answer you (semi) seriously. Tim Duncan, FOR ME, is the best player of the post-Jordan era. Yes, I said it. His utter defensive DOMINANCE and offensive efficiency (including being a very good passer as a big man), plus his leadership is something you don't just walk into. So effectively, TO ME, you are complaining about me poo-pooing the comparison of a random big man out of college to the greatest player since the late 90's. If I were to compare the latest hotshot shooting guard out of college to Kobe Bryant, what would most people here be saying? The guy hasn't played a game yet and we are comparing him to Tim freakin' Duncan? Seriously? This reminds me of when guys got all overhyped about Harold Miner at USC, and started calling him "Baby Jordan." Pump the brakes man. I'll say it now (and of course this is only MY opinion), but Okafor is never going to challenge to be a top big man in the NBA. He won't be an Anthony Davis, Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett level player. He will be a couple rungs below that tier, AT BEST. I'm sorry, but when you compare a college player to one of the greatest NBA players of all time, it's up to YOU to justify why that's true ....... not for me to explain why it is not.

os_mutante and benni... repped this.
  10. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like Okafor, but Duncan is Duncan. You don't learn to play defense like Duncan at this point in your career.

11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Freshman in college is Okafor's "point in his career". Gives you perspective when you think of it. Crazy how polished he is already in the post.

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Let me make myself clear... Im not arguing any of the Timmy comparison stuff, comparisons are stupid, what im arguing is that fact you haven't elaborated on this part. "He won't be an Anthony Davis, Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett level player. He will be a couple rungs below that tier, AT BEST. "

Why? You've just kinda been berating his talent, at least Mathaus came with analytics. So again, why do you think he wont be an elite big man ever?

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1938 onefineesq, Apr 11, 2015
    Where have I been berating his talent? I think you have me confused with someone else. Others have ripped him as slow, poor lateral movement, etc. I have not. I was just responding to the fact that darkknight started the comparisons to Tim Duncan, which is absurd. I don't have to elaborate on why a college player shouldn't be compared to the greatest player of the last 17 years. That sentence I just wrote speaks for itself ...... it's a comparison of a guy who hasn't played a pro game to the greatest player of the last 17 years. I need to explain something so ridiculously basic? Guess what, I don't think Aaron Harrison is as good as Michael Jordan either. Do I need to explain that too? Do you think that statement means that I am "berating" Aaron's talent as well? C'mon now. And you WERE arguing the Duncan issue, because you started asking me for my reasons PRIOR to the statement of mine that you quoted above. In fact, that quote of mine was an answer to your previous request, so you obviously had an issue with my answer to darkknight in which I stated that the comparison to Duncan was ridiculous.

Bottom line, forgetting the completely unwarranted (and unfair to Okafor) comparisons to Tim Duncan, Okafor simply does not defend well enough to be elite. And I alluded to that in my first reply to darkknight. And while I have seen big time players improve their offensive games quit regularly in the NBA, you very rarely see a middling defender at the college level turn into a beast at the next level. Hell, I'm struggling to find more than a smattering of examples to support your position. On the other hand, Anthony Davis is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. A defensive beast in college who was able to hone his offensive game. Patrick Ewing did the same. Olajuwon did the same. Even Shaq (who wasn't necessarily a defensive stopper in college) honed his offensive game big-time in the pros (note that his offensive game improved far more than his defensive game in the pros). Where are the major examples of big men in college who didn't have decent defensive games who became beasts at the next level?

14. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Bruh, you just said at best he'll never be an elite talent, Timmy or any goats aside, you haven't given any reasons as to why he'll ever be elite other than the fact that he's not Tim Duncan or any other great big.(well no shat, Sherlock). Why will he never be elite bro, answer the question. Stop sliding. What kind of response Is that?? "okafor will never grow to be a great big cuz, he's not a great big." Wow im so enlightened, slime.

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying that someone isn't going to be ELITE is not berating them. I mean, if I don't include you amongst the very elite of all the people who do your job, that means that I've berated you? You have quite a different take on the English language than I do. I just answered you, and you didn't like the answer. That's your own problem if you don't want to accept my reasons for why he isn't in the category of elite players before him.

16. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    #1941 Catracho_Azul, Apr 11, 2015
    Get used to rooting for him, he'll be a Knick come this summer. #NYK

Btw I just noticed YOU EDITED YOUR PREVIOUS POST after I had already commented on it. Smh slimeball move, yo.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he is, of course I will. Just like I rooted for Tyson Chandler before him and Marcus Camby before that. And neither of those guys were elite either, but I loved them both.

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jesus, let's see how he does next year

Timmy is the best 4 ever so let's see this kid play at least 10 nba games before we judge him

P to the Wee repped this.
  19. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What are your thoughts on Okafor?

20. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You'd think coming off of 3 knee surgeries, refs would be a bit kinder with the whistle on Rose, but they're doing the exact opposite tonight. Very, very happy with his defensive effort which has been an issue all year.

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    What are your thoughts on his knee going into the playoff where rest will be few and far between as you guys progress??

22. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's just gonna have to stay healthy. The good news is there are no back to backs in playoffs, which is where he had his most struggles. His athleticism has always been the same, he just needs to play his game meaning not worry about shooting too many 3s, or forcing the drive, etc..

I thought the 4 games prior to the ASB were perfect from him and would make us a contender in the playoffs. He's going to have to do that and play defense if the Bulls will make any kind of run. Very pleased that he's finally trying on D though, now he just needs to trust himself and get his timing right. That's why I rather play the Wizards in round 1, it's going to go deep giving him a lot of game time and he will be challenged.

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  24. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rose was filthy tonight

25. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Anyone see what happened with Marc Gasol? I tuned in only to see him limp off with some kind of injury.