Pre-match: (2014.03.05) International Friendly: Japan vs New Zealand [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by naopon, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Keren

Keren Member+

Feb 15, 2013
    France
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    4-0 for Japan in just 20 minutes.

After this, the match had no sense. We didn't play at our full power. I'm a bit disappointed about that. It was not really the same performance than against Netherlands, Belgium or Italy :D

But I understand this, because it's just a friendly against a very average team.

2. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Zaccheroni should have tried Tatsuya Yamashita with Morishige, Konno and Yoshida instead of just Morishige alone. Morishige only possess aerial threat and decent pace. He is really average.

3. c shima

c shima Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Good result on paper but 20 mins of quality followed by 70 of mediocrity isn't a positive. We lacked the quality to convert our build-up play and occasionally had trouble against NZ's physicality, which ultimately led to their goals. As usual, backline disappointed with crap positioning and losses at crucial moments.

For man of the match, I'd say Okazaki even though his second goal was a gift. He doesn't always convert his chances but at least he creates them, unlike Osako through the entire match. Kagawa also had some great passes which is obviously encouraging.

Flop of the match for me was Osako for being invisible the entire match. I honestly can't remember him being involved in any meaningful plays. The entire defense also collectively sucked. Sakai bungled his challenge/clearance before the first goal and Yoshida's positioning wasn't great (although Honda's deflection was really unlucky). Morishige just kind of twitched and made way for Wood's second.

Let's hope that that we look sharper with a full squad and that our offence strength is enough to offset the defensive frailty.

4. Keren

Keren Member+

Feb 15, 2013
    France
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #179 Keren, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    It's true but personally I don't worry. We start to know how Japan works.

Remember the awfuls matchs in Serbia and Belarus. Japan was atrocious and didn't play at his best level. One month later, he did big big matches against big teams like Netherlands and Belgium.

Samurai Warrior and c shima repped this.
  5. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Japan also missing Hasebe, Uchida, Konno today. It's true that even against Belgium it was a mixed squad though and yet they pulled it off, so one could've expected more in the second half.

probably not, but you can't ignore that they were up 4-0, it would be stupid. You can rightly criticize the complacency though

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  6. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Why is why I prefer Japan to play against better teams and lose and then improve like what Okada did in 2010. You will improve more if you lose than you win. And Zaccheroni should have tried an additional option than Morishige last year, now it is impossible for any other CBs other than Konno, Morishige and Yoshida to be used in the WC.

7. c shima

c shima Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Haha true, predicting our form's an exercise in futility; we've got to be one of the most inconsistent sides out there.

Still hate how we can't hold a lead without conceding :oops:

8. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Final score?

9. Keren

Keren Member+

Feb 15, 2013
    France
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    4-2 after leading 4-0 at 17'.

10. otsu_Inui_fan

otsu_Inui_fan Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    japan looked good in attack the final pass just wasnt sticking after the first 20
    so much good play in the mid field by kagawa and Honda and okazaki was good too

11. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I guess people just hate the inconsistency

And I kind of already see it possible that JNT shows some nice football in Brazil and perhaps makes the top 16 or that they get hammered by one or two teams and possibly dont even get a point.

We do sound like spoiled brats, demanding JNT to outclass the likes of New Zealand and show them they are but mere cones on the pitch and nothing more. We want defense to be solid without huge mistakes.
    We want the midfield to deal with opponents, keep them off the ball, and pass through them.
    We demand attack to be efficient players to toy with the likes of NT defenders.

Yes we are spoiled and yes we are also being unfair to NZ which is not a joke of a team. Why?

Idk I would say that we are just worried as hack about how this JNT will do and we really really want them to impress and not waste this nice generation of players.

I guess. And I'll be first here to admit that now that I objectively look at it, I really am an asshole. Ok they didnt play well, ok I want them to play tougher opponents I see some things differently then Zaccheroni but in the end I should just be happy that they won no matter how because in WC it will be results that will matter.

The only thing that I will add however is the following. I dont care that much about results. And I personally would rather see Japan amaze with their play and just missing on getting through to top 16 because some bad luck or whatever. Then to see them advance with crap play

Attitude and performance that's what I am after when I watch their games, not the score

12. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The interesting thing about this match, is that compared to the one against Belarus for example, Japan started strong, just like against the Netherlands and Belgium (despite conceding first). By starting strong I mean pretty much what Zac kept demanding to the players : intensity. Runs, lots of off the ball movement, quick passes. When Japan starts like that usually the result reflects it (not always unfortunately, see vs Italy).
    Later in the match, the passes became way more inaccurate, the CBs positioning went a bit into madness, and in general they were kind of sloppy.
    Sure it ain't easy playing with many players rotating but still it's important to keep focus.

13. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh also some of the "questioned" spots on the team

1. I was not particulary impressed with Aoyama, I also believe the midfield defensive wise isnt as tough with him around.
    2. Yamaguchi, I think he did well, I really like his attitude towards game and fighting spirit.

3. Morishige, some aerial duels etc good, some clearances good, but then some less ok moments

4. Osako really didnt get himself involved into the match and I must say it did surprise me a bit.

5. Sakai good runs poor crossing and not really smart defending with mistakes and foolish fouls

6. Kiyo, idk I expect more from Kiyo

7. Saito, I like his attitude in general and direct thinking but the end product was somewhat missing ok if you lead you forgive if you trail I think you would be pulling hairs

8. Toyoda, didnt have much time, wanted to impress he did ok

9. Gotoku. It is as if his twin bother from the opposite world came to be. No offensive play of note, defensively quite solid

Thats how I saw the "contestants"

14. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    They only have one more match before the WC? Cyprus? Can't they add more matches or FIFA doesn't allow it or they can't find opponents?

15. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    no, there are 3 more matches before the world cup. Cyprus and Costa Rica are confirmed

BigDnm01 repped this.
  16. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    This style of play does not suit tournaments. You will score first then concede later. Especially with how hot Brazil is, you will get knackered soon.

17. uhdfkwncvbgtyhu89

Nov 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nah, it's pretty cool in the winter

We even had snow last year

18. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    as if he wasn't gonna come back

19. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    better to concede first then :coffee:

I don't want to check again but I thought the first goal was once again one of his great long balls. Just like in EAFF. Or was it Kagawa?

match resume:

Samurai Warrior and Majster2 repped this.
  20. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    as far as I know it was Kagawa

21. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    anyone with a link to full game? it was way too early in the morning to catch it live :cry:

22. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Wait for someone uploading it at Youku.

23. nakata101

nakata101 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I waiting for it too... i only watch the first half LIVE. :x3:

24. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    How did Hosogai performed?

25. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nakata101 and Samurai Warrior repped this.