2013 WNY FLASH

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Nov 22, 2012.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy day - I picked up my season tickets and tickets for UNC on Sunday. Had snow showers yesterday and the day before with a few flakes in the air today. Rumor has it that not many tickets for Sunday have been sold. We're still coming out of hibernation here.

2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MZ channeling MJ: Photo c/o @krismurante on twitter.

[​IMG]

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It was a nice day in WNY.
    I'm surprised more fans weren't there.
    Click image for full-size.

[​IMG]

4. rochesterian80

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    There was no marketing for the game, as is usual. (Most season ticket holders do sit on the other side, though.) But, in reality, that was probably a good thing. The city hadn't turned the water on for the facility yet for the season, which meant port-o-potties and no concessions. (Don't fear though, the locker rooms are in the administrative building which obviously has water all winter.) So, charging for the game was a stretch. Heard five from the starting eleven started. Sounded entertaining, I had a conflict myself, but it's easy to see why people weren't lining up to pay $10 for it.

Still holding my breath for just one billboard with Abby on one side and the Flash logo on the other before the regular season. (Or any marketing.) I probably shouldn't, though. Thank goodness the media will pick up some of the slack when Abby rejoins and the season approaches.

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted a game report in the 'Pre/In Season Friendlies Season 1' thread. I estimated there were 400-500 fans there. They had everyone sit on the side across the field from the benches, general admission fashion. You are right, no marketing was done. They did have programs, concessions (beer, too) , but no water for the restrooms. And you are right about Frontier Field - there were 3,200 fans at the Red Wings game down street at the same time who had water service.

I think Flash have planned to wait to market the team until the roster was settled (today). They have 3 weeks until the first home game 4/27 vs. Breakers.

6. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    They should have had a third player model the other jersey.
    Veronica Perez?

[​IMG]

8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am taking bets Joe will be announcing their focus on hot dogs/deli meats in Seattle and Portland. Makes complete sense for him to jersey sponsor his own team. The return for his company is greater than any jersey sponsor can fork up, esp when those California franchises pop up He didnt even bother with a secondary sponsor below the number. :ROFLMAO:

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex Sahlen went up against Kelley O'Hara Wednesday night and Sydney Leroux on the previous Saturday. Neither player broke her down. If you see video of Syd's assist a) it deflected off another player, and b) HAO had been left wide open by the right side defense. O'Hara's assist came from a failed clearance; Sahlen was moving out wide to be a target for the clear.

Right now I nominate her for Most Improved Player.

The following is from the Sahlen's Sports Park web site, so it is self promotion ( http://www.sahlensportspark.com/About/News/NewLeagueNewChallengesStillSahlen ). It is a long article covering her soccer history and off-field role for Sahlen's and for the Flash. Nevertheless I think it gives there is some interesting info. The following excerpt addresses her work ethic and desire to keep getting better.

Alex Sahlen. She was a dependable outside back on the Buffalo Flash and team captain. She missed the majority of the WPS campaign after suffering a painful upper body injury scrimmaging a men’s team. Then in 2012 she again became a mainstay of the defense. Now back in a league with the best of the best, where would Sahlen fit in?
    Turns out right where she left off. Despite the league welcoming back the top players in the world — including Abby Wambach and Carli Lloyd to WNY — Sahlen earned a spot starting at defender in the Flash’s 2013 NWSL opener at Sky Blue FC. There with players who starred at Florida, UCLA and Rutgers was that pesky Purple Eagle.
    “Alex is someone I truly admire,” said WNY Flash midfielder McCall Zerboni. “The average person may not recognize what an incredible accomplishment it is for her to be doing what she’s doing at the highest level possible.”
    There’s no doubting her now, though people will talk and she knows that. The unsavory backroom soccer chatter was motivational early in her professional career, when she felt the need to prove herself to her teammates and the world at every practice, game and function. She would have had to be ignorant not to know that some naysayers claimed she was only on the team due to her lineage.
    “A couple years ago I was so concerned with what everyone else thought of me and proving myself, every day,” she said. “Now I know inside that I deserve it and my teammates know, so I’m just doing my thing.”
    “(Aaran and I) wouldn’t have been successful if we couldn’t do it properly,” Alex Sahlen said of being coached by her husband. “A lot of it comes down to me being honest with myself and where I am. If I’m not there, I need to be honest with myself and not blame anyone else but myself.
    Alex Sahlen went about her business. She ground out every day on the pitch and when the other players went home, she kept grinding. She dragged Lines back to the field to play ball after ball, meticulously working on her touch, her footwork, her everything. He was happy to oblige. Her teammates and assistant coaches may not have been at the workouts, but they saw the results.
    “She’s one of the hardest working and most fit players I’ve ever coached,” said Scott Vallow, assistant coach of the Western New York Flash and former assistant for the Rochester Rhinos. “She has a tremendous drive to continue to improve her game and it amazes me how she is so dedicated and able to balance everything on her plate.”

11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carli Lloyd will be on the road tomorrow. If you are on I-81 between Binghamton and Philadelphia in the morning wave as she goes by. Likewise if you are on the expressways between Buffalo and Binghamton in the afternoon.

What? You don't say? Her car is the one with the license plates that say "Princess" ? Shut up. I don't believe it. Just go away.

12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO:

All joking aside, I'm beyond excited that Carli is finally going to join the team. She most likely won't start against KC, but I wouldn't be surprised if she came off the bench at some point.

13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was not sure how Carli Lloyd was going to fit in. Unfortunately for VP, I think she lost her starting spot last night. There is no way Lines can split up the Zerboni-Salem combo. The Flash played an incredible first half. In lacrosse, it is called a " hard ride," in basketball it is called a full court press, and Lines called it "not giving them an inch." No wonder they were gassed at the end.

My three favorite Alexes: Alex Scott, Alex Morgan, and ALEX SAHLEN! Another stellar outing for our #2.

14. ashorter

ashorter New Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Maryland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Flash vs Chicago Friday night. Abby vs Ella should be fun to watch, after Ella's blog about MJ

15. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    what was the blog about? i know abby sold out all the bottom girls for a condo and a benz. :ROFLMAO:

16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick look ahead.
    June 5 @ Bo's. need to rest Abby and Carli - June 2 v. Canada and June 8 v. Sky blue.
    June 8 @ Skyblue - full team.
    June 15 @ Wash and June 19 @ Chicago - No Abby or Carli.
    June 23 Home v. Seattle - Full team; USWNT played in NJ June 20.

17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough road trip in July. 4 games in 10 days. CRS with the Germans, FCKC per usual, Seattle with Rapinoe and Solo, and Portland with Heath.
    Thursday 7/4/2013 1:00 PM @ Chicago Red Stars
    Sunday 7/7/2013 3:10 PM @ FC Kansas City
    Thursday 7/11/2013 7:00 PM @ Seattle Reign FC
    Sunday 7/14/2013 2:00 PM @ Portland Thorns FC

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still shaking my head at this schedule. This is going to be one tired team at the end of that stretch.

19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here the Flash are, in the Championship game. Earned on the field over 22 regular season games and one playoff game.

I just want to sincerely thank Joe Sahlen and Alex Sahlen for starting the Flash and keeping the Flash going. I am sure it is harder work than I could imagine. The Flash organization is First Class in everything it does.

And thanks to Aaran Lines, the coaching staff, and the Flash team staff for all their Championship efforts.

The players, I love the players, all of them, all the time - thanks to you for being Champions. When do 2014 season tickets go on sale?

sisterluke repped this.
  20. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Do you think it's premature to start to referring Lines as Sir Aaran? If the Flash win out that would be five straight titles in four leagues with massive roster changes between ALL years. If we knighted people in the US, that would be a feat worthy of it.

BTW, my wife and I decided to take the plunge for season tix for '14 on Saturday.

sisterluke repped this.
  21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not sure if typo or if counting regular season titles as well - in which case is should be six (WPS '11 and NWSL '13)

22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only know what I read on the internet, but it appears that the Buffalo Flash played its first season in 2009. They finished second in the league and lost in the semi finals of the playoffs. 2010- W-League First place regular season & playoff champions. 2011 - WPS First place regular season & playoff champions. 2012 WPSL-Elite Second place regular season & playoff champion. 2013 - WPSL - Regular season champion. So if you want to count regular season titles, they have 6 'titles' in five seasons; four leagues.

AND terrific news, BlitzSpiele about getting season tickets - you are going to have a blast.

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Actually not - they finished first in their division with a 10-0-2 record, but second in the league; the Hudson Valley Blues went 11-1-0 to finished first over all divisions in the 2010 W-League. The Flash only have five titles at the moment, though could make it six by winning this weekend.

CoachJon repped this.
  24. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007

But what about Sir Aaran? Too soon?