2013 WNY FLASH

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Nov 22, 2012.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WNY Tryouts - six players invited to pre-season to compete for a spot.

Player bios on http://www.wnyflash.com/wnyflash-news.cfm?news_id=5466

The Western New York Flash of theNational Women's Soccer League (NWSL) has announced the addition of six players to the preseason roster. Erica Henderson, Ashley Walsh, Madison Van Dine, Brigit Reder, Tiffany Hurst and Carson Michalowskihave all been added following the 2013 Open Tryouts.

2. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, Tiffany! Go Aztecs!

3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaran Lines was on “Kick This” WHTK radio this morning (3/16/13 ~11:30 am). I took some notes – any mistakes or misinterpretations are mine. Lines said there were 28 players there. As far as I know, Wambach, Adriana, Lloyd, Perez, Kerr are not there.

What’s happening? Practice starts at noon. Players who played 90 minutes yesterday (scrimmage with Canisius College) will take it easy – Lines is planning on playing a bit today to fill in.

Carli Lloyd? Too early to tell. Flash medical staff is talking to USSoccer medial staff. If it is a simple broken bone with no cartilage damage, the recovery should be straightforward.

Who will fill in for Lloyd? Lines was planning on playing Zerboni along side Lloyd. During the game yesterday: Salem-Zerboni-Yokers - “the little triangle looked good.” Lines said Veronica Perez will be in camp Monday and she could play the midfield. I think Lines said that Yokers came in for Huffman due to injury yesterday.

Any surprises so far? Lines said Vicki DiMartino has had a good start. Did very well at left midfield yesterday. Lines noted she had 2 good years and “vanished” for the next two years at college.

Podcasts of the weekly "Kick This" broadcasts are posted here: http://kickthis.com/kickthis/

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    DiMartino after her 2nd year in college = projected Top 5 overall pick in WPS 2013 draft

DiMartino after her final year in college = 22nd pick in NWSL draft

Huge drop-off.

But she has the talent. She just needs to produce.
    Most in this situation presumably have already peaked, when their worst years in college are their final years. I don't think DiMartino has peaked, at least not yet.

newsouth repped this.
  6. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :ROFLMAO:

In the NFL that would matter, because it would kill your signing bonus, but in the NWSL...o_O

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    LOL. I guess she went from $12,500 per year as a rookie, to $12,000 per year as a rookie.
    Might need to cut back on some of those hair care products, by a few bucks per month.

8. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is this for real? Is the economy that bad in Rochester that they don't have 1000 season ticket holders yet? $100 for 11 games! I thought Rochester was Wambach's home, so they'd be competing with Portland. I'm not getting this. It will cost me $300 just to check out one Portland game.

Good thing Sahlen has money and doesn't seem to sweat over ticket sales.

“The Best Is Back” CHALLENGE!
    Renee Meier, Director of Sales and Marketing has put the following challenge out to soccer fans. “The time is now to show support for Women’s Soccer. Isn’t Rochester known as ‘Soccer Town, USA?’ Well let’s prove it and keep it alive at Sahlen’s Stadium! So, here’s the challenge. If we sell 1000 Season Tickets (this includes Flex 11 Packs,) by Thursday, February 28th, 2013, we will host a pre-season kick-off Meet & Greet Party with all the players and coaches for Season Ticket & Flex 11 Package holders! As an added incentive, REFER A FRIEND is now in effect through Feb 28th, 2013. Refer a first time season ticket holder and receive a $10 Gift Certificate (up to 5 referrals/$50) for any merchandise sold at the Flash Shack. So get the word out. Today is a great day to give the gift of Flash Season Tickets. Now is the time to support Women’s PROFESSIONAL Soccer!
    If you prefer not to order tickets online or if you will be participating in our ‘Refer A Friend’ incentive program, download the printable order form and either mail or fax completed form to Sahlen’s Stadium.
    Address: Sahlen’s Stadium
    460 Oak Street Rochester, NY 14608
    (585) 454-5425

Fax: 585.454.7000

9. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    NewSouth, I get what you're saying but when did Renee Meier put out this challenge? It states that the Challenge was due by February 28th that was 3 weeks ago. I'm sure fans in Buffalo/Rochester will support the Flash/Sahlen/Wambach/etc. Time will tell!

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Alex Sahlen has officially signed with WNY.
    Looks she will take up one of the 20 roster spots.

11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penn State Game
    From WNY Twitter:

Flash starting XI: Franch, Johnson, Taylor, McCarthy, Sahlen, Zerboni, Wambach, Perez, Adriana, DiMartino, Salem

Halftime! 3-0 with goals from Adriana, Wambach and DiMartino!

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like Tony Perez would have taken up a roster spot on the Reds in 1977.

13. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    The Flash smoked Penn State 7-0! Goals from Adriana, Robinson (2 each), Wambach, DiMartino, and Kerr.

The starting 11: Franch, Johnson, Taylor, McCarthy, Sahlen, Zerboni, Wambach, Perez, Adriana, DiMartino, Salem

14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's against a college team, and not another NWSL squad, but the Flash look very promising so far :D

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, they basically fielded the regular season starting XI already, so yeah, I would expect they would do well against a not-quite-full-strength college team.

16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A note: Zerboni, Sahlen, Salem, and Adriana started - all four from last year's Flash. This may be an indicator of the importance of continuity within the Flash organization.

Another note: goal 7 was a header by Jodi-Ann Robinson (WNY Flash 2012) from a feed from Alex Sahlen -

Penn State played the Sprit last week before a lot of the allocated players were in camp. Today they faced a full NWSL team, as pointed out above.

17. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    WOW, this Flash offense is something to be reckoned with.
    Wambach, Adriana, Robinson, Kerr, DiMartino, Perez, Lloyd (when she gets healthy), and Zerboni. That's the best "eight-some" in the league at scoring goals. No other teams can match eight players like that in total goal scoring.

Defensively, you have Huffman and Barczuk in the midfield, Salem, McCarthy, Taylor, Johnson, Mercado, Reynolds, etc. That's a heck of a defensive foundation. They needed depth, and they got it by signing Mercado and Reynolds. And Alex Sahlen has experience with the franchise, so she'll be a key reserve. She started the match today.

Franch is a monster in goal. No young goalkeeper in the world has her freak abilities to stop shots, and she's good at distribution to go with it.

The Flash may have the most "complete" team in the league rigth now.
    They certainly do in the East. Boston has defensive problems (no Short, no Mitts).
    Washington doesn't have a veteran goal scorer. Sky Blue's defense far exceeds their offense.
    WNY has a very balanced team, & they don't have any strong or moderate weaknesses on paper.

18. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Is Toni Pressley gonna sign with WNY or with Washington?

19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that asking Robinson on board (and hopefully signing her) is a good indication the Flash is not after Pressley.

20. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that Pressley is playing in Russia(?). I highly doubt she's on the Flash radar at this point.

21. rochesterian80

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    There's a number of factors here.

A) The Flash don't bother to market aside from social media. Wambach is on billboards due to her deal with a local healthcare company, but there's nothing to be found anywhere about her presence on the Flash. It looks like, based on their website, that they have one person doing all sales/marketing. I'm betting the Portland operation is a bit more robust than that with a few account execs!

B) The Flash may have just shy of 1,000 seasons at last check, but it beats the couple hundred they had prior to Wambach. If nothing else, it's progress. Unfortunately, after onslaught of season ticket sales after the media had the Wambach signing all over the place, the Flash have done little aside from social media to create a secondary wave of sales.

C) The Flash should be huge among youth teams. That's actually where I'd expect to see most of the increase. (It's a little naive to think all of the 12,000 people that came out of the woodwork for Wambach games would jump right into seasons.) If the Flash only have one person selling to groups, that's less than optimal though. The Flash's lack of presence in the Rochester market may hurt a bit here, although they typically work out a deal with the Rhinos organization to help.

I think the Flash will be one of the league's better draws. It's just unfortunate that they aren't making the marketing investment to fully maximize on this opportunity. But, it's how the Flash have always worked. The on-field product seems to be their sole focus, and they've leaned on the media to deliver big crowds during the "event" games. I think they're just a family that loves soccer; they don't worry all that much about the marketing/business side, and it's (an expensive) hobby for them.

22. sloaner

sloaner New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Flash beat OSU 4-0 this afternoon with goals from Adriana (2), Veronica Perez, and Sam Kerr.

Lineup via the Flash's website:
    Alex Sahlen, Bryanna McCarthy (Melinda Mercado 83), Samantha Kerr, Kim Yokers (Angela Salem 60), McCall Zerboni, Adriana, Estelle Johnson, Brittany Taylor (Amy Barczuk 74), Vicki DiMartino, Veronica Perez, Ashley Walsh

Also, does anyone know the status of Sarah Huffman? She hasn't played since going out in the 6th minute of their friendly against Canisius, and while she wasn't on the injury list for the second match she wasn't listed as an unused sub either. Knock on wood she hasn't continued her preseason injury luck.

23. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We
    Well, you were probably right about the Flash. Personally, I didn't think Lines could build a team around Wambach. Now, they look like they could win a 4th title. I also like the Estelle pick up. She can't dribble worth a darn, but is very good pacing speedy forwards (Morgan and Sinclair), was one of the defensive reasons Philly was in the championship 2 years running.

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    McCarthy has some speed on defense as well.
    She's more quick and jittery than fast though, but she has very good acceleration and agility when I've watched her play. She's not Rampone fast at top-end speed, but faster than most defenders in this league.

Brittany Taylor is a tough player.
    Mercado gives them long legs, height, and feisty defending.
    And like you said, Estelle Johnson is a fast defender, and has good experience now at the pro level.

WNY did need some depth on defense. Reynolds gives them that. Alex Sahlen is more experienced than talented, but she gives great effort. She knows the team in and out, and she at least gives them a veteran body for a defensive reserve. She will give it her all. She will want to prove that she belongs in this league, and not just as a bench warmer. She does have heart. And experience.

WNY signed Lauren Alkek, who is a strong defender.
    She's got some girth in her shoulders and good muscle mass, like a young baby version of Tancredi.
    She gives WNY some added muscle. She's got good athleticism for a strong body.
    Just looking at her, and you think she's been drinking a lot of milk, at least from what I remember of her about three years ago when she played in college. Three years can do a lot to a woman's body, so I'm not sure if she still has the same body.

WNY's defense is as good as it could have gotten, after not getting the best allocation or college draft results. When their roster was at ten players, it didn't look too good for their defense.
    Since then, they've added: Taylor, Johnson, Mercado, Reynolds, Sahlen, and Alkek. They have a tough midfield defensively. Huffman, Salem, Yokers, give them some grit. And of course, they have Zerboni as well. Bry McCarthy could end up being the unsung hero of their defense. Girl is tough.

WNY has the most complete offense in the league when you factor in both forwards and attacking mids. The eight players they have that can score goals are a plethora of weapons from all over the field (in the starting lineup, and the reserves).

And if Hope is injured, there might not be a more gifted and raw-talented goalkeeper in this league than Franch.

As of right now, WNY and KC have the most "complete" teams in the league.
    WNY has done a better job at addressing their defensive depth (reserves) more than KC.
    The major difference, though, is that KC has a better midfield than WNY.

25. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    And which is as least as important, her precense on the team keep the owner entusiactic about the team an league.