2013 WNY FLASH

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Nov 22, 2012.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So u want her to go back to depending on Pia putting her on a WNT. I think she has a better shot with Sermanni. :)

3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a thought- around WNY and Philadelphia VERO is Veronica Boquete , Flash 2010 and Independence 2011' and member of the Spanish national team. I think Veronica Perez goes by V or V-Magic.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh! I forgot Vero was Flash '10. I knew she was CHI '10 but I forgot they got her from Buffalo. I was confused because I thought she had no connection to WNY. My bad! X-D
    (I wasn't confusing Boquete and Perez - they're two of my favorite players, I wouldn't mix them up.)

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Vero had been quoted at one point in the past that she liked playing for the Flash, and would consider playing for them again in the future. She won a championship with the Flash, likes the area, likes the franchise, the people, the fans, etc.

6. DazzRef

DazzRef Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Buffalo NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall correctly, Vero signed with CRS after the W-League season in 2010 - I believe that one other girl signed with Sky Blue, but can't recall offhand who that was (would need to check my notes).....

The nice part about the Flash building through the different leagues is the exposure that Coach Lines has had to a good variety of players. Generally speaking, players have liked being in the environment - they are housed together, practice in a top-notch facility, and get professional-level attention that they can count on. It makes a big difference on the player's day-to-day mental state, and allows them to focus on learning the system and getting the game plan down. I don't know how other teams take care of their players, but it seems to me that the WNY franchise has found the "formula" in the intangibles that allows the players to really enjoy their stay when they're here. To me, it shows on the field and off the field....

Just my $.02....
    Aaron

7. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sahlen made a good move investing in the Elma complex for Alex. It also doesn't hurt having $30M a yr in deli meat funding everything. Outside of daddy Dan, who has a similar setup? I always said who wouldn't want to be there, rooming with mates vs host families. He has a professional setup.

8. DazzRef

DazzRef Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Buffalo NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that it's only part of the story - When Sahlen bought the facility, he bought it because he wanted to get into that line of business. When I first started refereeing at the facility years ago, it was intended just to be a small building, only for Futsal (which unfortunately failed). Sahlen did invest the money to develop the site into what it is today, but I'm not totally sure that this was done "just for Alex". I can see how people would believe that, considering that she's essentially involved in the day to day operations piece (especially coaching / training for youth teams). I see her there a lot, but there are other members of the family that work there as well, so I think he bought the facility and surrounding land because there wasn't a strong soccer / multi-sports facility south of the Buffalo metro area, and that it was in close proximity to his other business. I think he got into it because there was an opportunity to diversify his business holdings based on Alex's involvement with soccer, to that point. I recall a conversation with one of the front-office staff members talking about the time when Alex and her daughter were playing on the same junior team, and not having a place to play / practice during the winter months. From what I gathered, that was more of the driving force for Sahlen to get into the sports business - I think the rest came about afterwards (which is where the argument "he did it for Alex" might stand up more than the other piece).

Aaron

9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Alright, I admit, I'm gonna try this stuff. It actually looks pretty good.
    And I've heard it's good.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    I consider the full-sized indoor field at Sahlen's the 247th Wonder of the World.

DazzRef repped this.
  11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ZERBONI!

Per Devo : blogs.democratandchronicle.com/Devo/

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Zerboni McCall announced she is signing with the Flash as expected.

and per her twitter

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Speaking of Devo, he's the first person I've seen thriow out a contract number. He claim "US stars will be paid $49,500." Maybe he has the phone tapped at the Back Nine B&G. :)

14. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I guess WNY Flash got screwed out of $24,500 for the 3rd allocation that they haven't signed, yet!

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I wonder if all 23 allocated players get that or thats the top for allocated players.

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Apparently the Flash are close to signing all 5 players (agreed in principle), so they're not scrambling out there looking for that 5th free agent.

[​IMG]

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang, that's ugly. Is that for real?

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Most likely not. I must apologize for probably having inspired WPSM's latest BS post craze... When the Spirit changed their logo, I pointed out that it looked a lot like a logo posted on tumblr a few weeks ago by a freelance designer. (Turns out they did in fact get him to make their new design, which explains the similarity.) He had, at the time, been working just for fun and made new logos for most of the teams as well as the league. I guess the Spirit liked what he did. I'd be rather surprised if more teams also went to him.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Ahh, it's all good.
    You know me with the logos. :cool:

21. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to me as if they're set for midfielders and in decent shape for forwards and goalkeepers, but in desperate need of professional-caliber defenders - Taylor's the only one who's definitely a starter.

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Bry McCarthy will be a starting defender there, and will challenge for Defensive Rookie of the year (if there is such an award). But yes, Western New York needs to find at least two more starting caliber defenders, and one more reserve defender for depth. It's not been determined what position Jodi-Ann Robinson will play. To me, she's a utility reserve player who can fill in at so many different positions as a 2nd half sub, with her speed and energy. She can be a defender, but her and Logue should be reserve defenders. Logue is good enough to make the roster, but you don't want her starting (at least not right away). She was a good sleeper pick where she was drafted, but you certainly don't want a last (4th) round rookie from the college draft being a starting defender now.

23. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Western New York will probably have the tallest team in the league.

F - Abby Wambach (5'11")
    F - Adriana (5'9")
    F/MF - Samantha Kerr (5'8")
    F/MF - Victoria DiMartino (5'7")
    MF - Carli Lloyd (5'7")
    MF - Amy Barczuk (5'10") (Kim Kulig "Lite" type of player. Kulig is 5'9" for Germany)
    D - Brittany Taylor (5'8")
    D - Jackie Logue (5'8")
    GK - Adrianna Franch (5'9")
    GK - Pamela Tajonar (5'9")

Obviously Veronica Perez, Zerboni, Huffman, McCarthy, and Robinson are shorter players, but 2/3 of their roster is 5'7" or taller so far. This team can be a force in the air, total intimidation, and overall brute physicality.

Barczuk doesn't even look that much different from Kulig, lol. Very similar style players, although Kulig is certainly the much better player (world class).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

24. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i didn't think lines could build a team around wambach. looks like a good half field and set piece squad. now, can they cover on counters when morgan and sinclair are turned loose?

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    If they don't address this, then there's no way they beat Portland in a playoff game, unless Portland can't field 11 players (which is still a possibility at this point, lol).