2013 WNY FLASH

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Nov 22, 2012.

1. CANAmerican

CANAmerican Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good point! :)

2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that '@McCall2' has changed the background on her twitter page - up until a week ago it was WNY Flash logos - now it is random night time stars. Makes me nervous.

3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carli Lloyd and Aaran Lines were on the local WHTK 1280 'Kick This' radio show this morning. Carli was very positive and used all the good cliches (I say that as a compliment); I think she will loosen up for the local soccer media as the season goes along. Aaran said he would like to get Brittany Bock and Becky Edwards back and that the Flash are 'pursuing' McCall Zerboni, but we should remember there are 7 other teams out there that are available to her.

4. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Players from last years team(young and old) I'd like to see come back:
    Adriana, McCall, Nikki Marshall, Tori Huster, Katy Frierson, Alex and Angela Salem.

Katherine Reynolds (Germany) and Toni Pressley (Russia) are still under contract.

I believe with the experience these girls went through last year and how well they came together as a team along with the allocated players would make WNY Flash another contender!

As far as the drafted player go.....I guess we will have to take a wait and see approach!
    Yea, I would buy season tickets to watch these girls play!

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know for a fact which players -- and how many -- the Flash put on the "wish list" they submitted? I'm not asking for what people assume or have opinions about, but rather if anyone actually has seen the list.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your best bet for that info would be to ask (via twitter @RocDevo) Jeff DiVeronica of the Rochester paper. Though I'm sure the league/teams/players don't really want that sort of info getting out there. No team really wants fans to know the player they got didn't want their team and no player wants to know that the team didn't really want them.

7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coach Aaran Lines on WHTK 'Kick This' on the day after the draft.
    Confirms they drafted Adriana Franch (GK) to start – “extremely talented; extremely motivated.” On Amy Barzuk (DM) - "the kid can play." On Vicki DiMartino (F-M) - "technically sound…good qualities as a second forward or midfielder." On Jackie Logue (D) "…plays center and outside... 3 year captain...I'm hopeful she’ll help us this year." On the $24K - …..we would have taken Megan Klingenberg who played with us last year or Christen Press, who is coming off contract in June rather than the $24,000…..

Podcast - Interview starts at about 36:20. Goes to about 47:55. Some echo 37:40 – 38:20, don’t let it throw you.

http://www.kickthis.com/media/audio/20130119.mp3

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yikes if they fell into Press...wow

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's complaining because they didn't "fall into" Press. He would rather have had her allocated to the team, notwithstanding she wouldn't be available until June, then get $24,000 to play with for someone else.

That sheds some light on the Seattle situation with Megan Rapinoe -- assuming Seattle would have the same thinking there. On the other hand, it also may suggest that the USSF was not ready to commit money to cover Press, as distinguished from Klingenberg or someone else. Maybe Sermanni did not want to have his hands tied to Press in terms of where to spend money and wants to hold it for Klingenberg or maybe even some as yet undetermined player.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Exactly...Im sure he'd rather have Press for the second half...maybe he should just hold on to the money, play one short and sign Press when she's out of contract with Tyreso...I mean who else is gonna have $24K to spend on her at that point?

As to Press and Sermanni, Im sure he isnt happy to be tied to a lot of this. He cant be happy having 4 slots going to GKs. I doubt he's too crazy about Winters having one based on other peoples evaluation. In a imperfect world he can live with the Olympic(18) or even the WWC(21) roster but Id guess h'de be happiest starting with the current 18 and filling the other 6 slots himself.

11. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... What second half? The Swedish season starts before the NWSL and ends after the NWSL season ends. She would not be available for any of the NWSL season until her contract ends.

(And this assumes that Press and Klingenberg were interested. The Swedish league is technical, longer, and probably pays them more money given that they'd be on the lower tier pay scale in the USWNT allocation.)

I think he understands that 4 slots have to go to GKs considering the allocation needs (every team gets one national team GK).

How would he even know? He hasn't seen any of the pool in a camp that he's run yet.

Then he probably should have held a camp earlier to get his input in. As it is, by holding it later, he's implicitly agreeing to the USSF choice for the first year.

kool-aide repped this.
  12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This little tidbit is based on an interview with Aaran Lines linked above. He was the one who put forth the notion that Press would be available in June. There is no other confirmation that I know of. We were just discussing what he said.

As to the GKs, it was big of USSoccer to pay a 4th GK just so each team could be allocated one. Id love to have Gulati stop by and explain to me how it's possible to pay four GKs and still have an empty slot. Better yet, one of them is under contract in Germany.

Exactly...all he knows r the first 18...the rest should be up to him. The camp was held later than usual to give the victory tour players a month off.

13. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lines seems to think that the Swedish league's schedule run similar to the majority of Europe (i.e. Germany, France), which would end in late May, yes. However, the Swedish league *doesn't* and hence, she would not be available in June unless Tyreso decides to magnaminously loan her to a NWSL club during their club season. For obvious reason, I think this is unlikely.

There are 4 GKs in the USWNT pool. Unsurprisingly, those are the 4 that received allocation contracts. The USWNT pool is bigger than the number of allocations and apparently there are some players that decided not to take an allocation spot.

And like I said, if he wanted to change it, he could either: say so already or hold the camp earlier. Clearly, he felt it was more important to give the tour players a month off. Since he didn't, the USSF chooses based on the USWNT pool so that the NWSL teams could get underway and start building their roster.

If Sermanni disagrees, he's not bound by the allocations to pick for USWNT rosters and he'll probably give more input next year.

kool-aide repped this.
  14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly - he gave two examples, but his point was he would rather have had a USWNT allocated player than the $24K.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well I wasnt very good at math but if 1/11 of starting ur players r GKs and 1/6 of ur paid personnel r GKs then that's quite a lot of GKs. Maybe Sermanni is feeling a bit cautious since he lost his two starters last year with Australia. Now none of this is relative to GKs in the pool. I dont care how many r in the pool...more the merrier. But last time I looked there were only 24 full time slots, one of which is empty.

16. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. You're providing a GK per team and unlike other spots, you really do need them to play on a different team where they have a good chance to start so that they can play instead of playing backup to each other (which does nothing for the backup, really).

Pick a player in the USWNT pool that is: a) not a rookie (i.e. Nairn and Mewis), b) not already allocated, c) doesn't already have a club contract (i.e. Press and Kling both seem to have contracts).

... A quick scan through and I think only Cox falls under these conditions and from what I recall, she's not really in the USWNT plan nor one of the players that would attract media attention and I would be very surprised to see Cox anywhere but Seattle.

17. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    WT#! they can put a FULL salary on the side for Rapinoe to return mid-season, but can't do the same for Press. I posted before this audio broke that Press would give balance to the forward situation, if she was on WNY's roster, and Lines just about confirmed that. So, this new coach doesn't want his hands tied behind his back. Don't tell me Press won't get one cap with this guy either. What kind of clowns run the NT over a ussoccer?

We shall see, but I still contend she is the most dangerous forward in the pool to steal a lot of Morgan's spotlight, even more than Sydney (a Morgan clone), if she got on a tear with some caps under her wings.

So, can Lines sign Press in June, or is she tied up in that pool nonsense? If she was an alternate for the Olympic 22-24, how in the world has she fallen out of that number when checks have to be written?

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont get why u or USSoccer think they needed to provide each team with a goalie. They provided WNY with a GK and they replaced her in the draft. If they hadnt given Washington Harris they likely would have done the same. Instead they chose to pay a GK who will never play in WNT. How does this make sense economically? And where was this deep concern when they were handing out the marketable players? They certainly didnt lose any sleep pver not giving each team one of those.

Lines said he would have rather have had Press or Klingenberg than the money. I dont see how it goes any farther than that. If it doesnt work out then it's no ones fault but the coach. Maybe what he was trying to say was he wished he could have had either player but that's not what popped out.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If he's right and she is on a short contract then anyone can sign her once she's out of contract. As Katreus said, the conventional wisdom was Tyreso signed her for the season. Of course Lines is in a position to actually know where I can only guess.

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    If Press were to go to WNY (in mid-season), and then WNY gets Tiffany Cameron in discovery or free agency before the season (she's local from south of Toronto), then WNY would become the best attacking team in the league (even over Portland).

Wambach, Press, Cameron, V. Perez (midfield), DiMartino (midfield or sub)
    vs.
    Morgan, Sinclair, A. Long, Heath, Foxhoven (sub)

WNY would have more raw speed in their attack (yes, Morgan is fast too, and Sinclair has deceptive speed).

And if WNY also gets Vero eventually, then it's over.

21. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    perez isn't a world class forward. cameron doesn't make a difference in a big game, if it's abby/cameron vs morgan/sinclair. vero did nothing for philly during the wps playoffs. geez, it was a-rod of all people, who kept them in the wny game. give wny everyone but press, and morgan and sinclair, if their connecting mid-field is right, wreck wny. there are dozens of girls out there equal to dimartino and vero, who will be experience free agents. abby with anybody but press is a cake walk for portland.

abby is more or less a half court forward now, still slows down an attack, if you have roadrunners around her. the story is still the same as magicjack, just minus daddy dan now.

in a battle with portland, abby is the distant 3rd best forward on the field. fifa player of the year was a gift for a good career. give sinclair and morgan a mid-field with becky edwards and sinead farrelly or any similar solid combo and they are easily better.

it comes down to how good portland's coaching is vs lines, if he is minus another world class forward. i'm sorry, but vero and dimartino balance the scale against morgan and sinclair with an OK mid-field :ROFLMAO:.

i don't have to like morgan but she is 100 times better today vs her wps benching warming days behind sinclair and marta (who has probably lost a step like abby now).

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    You're judging Vero by one game? Hasn't Marta consistently under-performed in many championship matches as well (for Brazil, and in the 2009 WPS Championship match). Marta is arguably the best player of all time (certainly in the argument), and so it can happen to the best of them.

Did you not forget that Vero was the 2011 WPS player of the year?
    And if WNY has Press, she is not that inferior to Baby Horse.
    Press can play, she can run, and she can score.
    And Tiffany Cameron is better than you think. She is one of Canada's best young players, probably their fastest, and gives them another speed demon that can finish. Her finishing on frame (accuracy) is better than A-Rod (who is inconsistent at it). Cameron is a younger Aluko.

http://www.soccer365.com/news/u_s__news/w_p_s/1391/boquete_named_wps_player_of_year

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Why didnt Cameron get allocated? Has anything been said?

24. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    everyone knows sinclair should have won player of the year in 2011 along with fifa 2012 player of the year, but that's how the soccer game goes.

press isn't on wny's roster, and i don't see her there at mid-season, based on lines comments. you'd have to play a defensive posture with morgan and sinclair on the field at the same time unless you lineup with two equal forwards on the field. anything that looks like an attack would leave your backline open for killer counters.

i wouldn't be surprise, if press did a 3rd year of duty in sweden. she even posted her house there. someone said, if the NT nonsense continued, maybe she should make a career over there. how many years she needs in sweden to be on their national team?

even the new yahoo at coach isn't trying to commit to her. one of the most decorated usa forwards, but she can't get a cap against the dominican republic or hiati

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain