Review: 2013 US Soccer Top 10

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My personal take on the top 10 moments in US Soccer this past year. So of course, this list is official and binding. :)

10. WALTER LOPEZ

[​IMG]

Early in the US's qualifier in the Azteca, linesman Gerson Lopez flagged DaMarcus Beasley for a foul in the box. Penalty. The nightmare would continue. But his brother, head referee Walter Lopez, waived him off. Then Walter did one better - he refused to call Maurice Edu for a tackle from behind in the box late in the game. 0-0 tie. A historic point for the US. Gracias, Walter.

9. SNOW FRO

[​IMG]

I went to a party just outside of Denver. Rumor has it two teams actually played a soccer game.

8. VINTAGE LANDON

One touch perfectly placed cross in transition? Who else.

7. JERMAINE CHANNELS CHUCK NORRIS

"ter Stegen, this can go one of two ways. I can crush you, or you can just let that ball go into the net. Your move..."

6. CLINT DOES CLINT

The US scored a few of their own against Germany, but this was the best. I mean, come on. That goal. Not only was it the game winner, not only did it help the US bounce back after Belgium, but maybe that game gives the US a little hope next summer. But seriously... That goal.

5. "DOS A CERO, DEUCE" - GOD

God may have given Deuce the skills to hit a left-footed curler from ~25 yards out against Germany, but messing with a pre-ordained scoreline? No.

4. MIXING IT UP ©

The US finds a central midfielder who will make the unpredictable play, and Mix's fashionably late entrance seals the deal.

© Copywrite Susaeta, 2013.

3. WELCOME BACK.

[​IMG]

Much of 2012 and 2013 was spent talking about the one guy not playing for the US. Would he or would he not return? Would Klinsmann have him back? Many an hour was wasted on BigSoccer in passionate debate over those topics. Landon was finally welcomed back for the Gold Cup and put the question to rest. He was the tournament's best player from day one, when he scored twice in a dominant 6-0 rout over normally pesky Guatemala.

2. WE ARE GOING TO BRAZIL!

How awesome is this chant?

1. JOZY

Michael Bradley had a fantastic year, but Jozy was the US's best player in 2013. You could pick from a number of highlights. I thought this was his best game.

http://youtu.be/CruAW6CovVo

The US needs both at their best form going into the World Cup, so here is to hoping for a change in fortune in the new year.

CTS26, ChrisSSBB, Marko72 and 14 others repped this.
  2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  3. DaNnYsOl09

DaNnYsOl09 Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    To think that if Deuce finish that PK against Mexico, Mexico doesn't go to the WC even with the late heroics of Zusi/USMNT against Panama.

4. USASOCCERREVOLUTION+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What about Bacon's goal shortly after Zusi's?

5. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Mexico finished with 11 points, 3 points ahead of Panama.