2013 UNC Tarheels

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Soccerhunter, Dec 5, 2012.

1. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Well that sucked. Offense was to weak. This is where we need Crystal at 100%. We lose a lot players after this year. Interesting rebuilding job.

2. TinkerTaylor

TinkerTaylor Member

Sep 16, 2013
    I didn't see it. Katie's parents, who flew in from New Zealand, were there. I hope that provides some solace.

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    topsyturvy, I suggest you let some time go by before any more post game critiques. If there's a time for positive thoughts, energy, prayers to be aimed UNC's way, it's now.

4. TinkerTaylor

TinkerTaylor Member

Sep 16, 2013
    Spare a thought for Brooke Elby, who also had to be carried off the pitch, albeit not on a stretcher.

5. Lorrie Fair

Lorrie Fair Member

Jul 31, 2010
    So no one can comment on the game because a player got hurt?

Midfield lacked service to Green and Ohai. Crystal Dunn barley played and wasn't going have impact. The game came down to a mistake, UNC made the mistake. I feel UNC has better forwards but UCLA has better midfield.

6. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Prayers to Katie Bowen and family. Sure hope she has a quick recovery and no permanent damage.

uncchamps2012 repped this.
  7. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    It does feel off to me to critique the game while the possibility of a life altering injury is still unknown. No offense. Reasonably people could conclude otherwise.

8. on the floor

on the floor Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    looked like Katie got tangled with Ali Courtnell and there was a follow through hit ? - some UNC players seemed upset by it - judging by the time and safety precautions she was knocked out and had a neck / shoulder thing going on

Prayers with her and hopefully not too serious.

She was outstanding today.

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Graham Hays ‏@grahamhays29m
    Anson Dorrance said Katie Bowen was unconscious for a time but was moving by time ambulance left. Efforts were precautionary. Wish her well.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good luck to the young lady who was injured today and speedy recovery. I hope everyone who posts and reads our posts here on BS feels the same way. We are here because we love this game and we wish the kids who play it good health. Without them, we wouldn't be here posting our passion.

Looking forward to seeing Katie Bowen in a UNC uniform in South Bend, Indiana next fall. I will be standing up with an ovation when her name is announced even among my fellow Notre Dame fans.

kolabear and uncchamps2012 repped this.
  11. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    I hope Katie is alright as well, just frustrated with out come. I know that's not as import as health of a player. Hopefully Katie Bowen will get treatment she needs and make a full recovery. She played pretty well today.

12. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Awesome to hear!!! Hopefully no permanent damage and she is back on the pitch soon!

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    This is AWESOME news.

Based on the reaction from her teammates, they were concerned, but it didn't look like any of the players were panicking over her condition. So hopefully they already knew she was able to move her toes and fingers.

14. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Glad Bowen is ok.
    Tough game today. Ucla is extraordinary on defense ,which I guess explain yielding only 7 goals all season. Ohai had grown confident over the past few games taking people. On 1 v 1 down the flank and making nice centering passes. I didn't see her manage to do that today and it seemed like the right back was just a lock down defender. Heels did well to remain level in regulation with all the players they were missing. Obviously, Dunn could have made an impact. I think newfield would have been awfully nice to have also. Not a bad season, really. We expect a national championship every year, but at least their losses were all to good teams. Next year, I guess we will see what the 2013 recruiting class can the seniors are gone.

Congratulations to a great senior class. Ohai and Dunn were a great pair and seemed like good people ,too. McFarland, sieloff, Morris, Brigman, other, great group. I could see 4 being drafted.

Dunn has to be one of the most talented and exciting players to ever wear the Carolina jersey.

We already bought our tickets so we still plan to go to the college cup. I guess I should pick an acc team to root for , but for some reason, I always tend to get behind the team that beats unc. At least we can then say that the Heels were beaten by the best team.

kolabear repped this.
  15. TinkerTaylor

TinkerTaylor Member

Sep 16, 2013
    #1390 TinkerTaylor, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    It's always tough to see a senior class leave, but it is especially hard watching this senior class play their last match. They've had to deal with a lot of adversity and handle the pressure of trying to meet the insane standards set by past UNC teams. You're owed nothing in this world, but on some level this senior class deserve better.

I doubt we'll see a player as good as Crystal Dunn any time soon. I'm not sure a UNC player has carried a bigger load for her team. She was asked to literally do everything, and did it all well. I'm sure it broke her heart to watch her team struggle, knowing she was physically unable to play her best.

Kealia, who was also asked to do the impossible at times, never whined nor complained. She always had an amazing work rate, despite having to take on multiple players every game. I hope she has a great pro career and gets a shot at the full national team. She can be a great goal scorer on a team with a good midfield.

Anna Sieloff was great in goal this year. Brigman helped anchor a really good back line, and had quite a few good runs this season. Kelly McFarlane became a great holding mid. Meg Morris had a good season.

Next season should be...interesting? A lot of the team's speed is leaving. I don't have a clue who plays in the midfield nor scores goals. There will be plenty of time for that discussion.

kolabear repped this.
  16. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    My thoughts and prayers tonight are with Katie Bowen, her family, and with the extended family of Carolina players (and families) who this evening witnessed a very terrifying event on the field.

I will welcome the news that a medical team has cleared Bowen's C-spine and that she has no serious residual head trauma. If what I witnessed tonight was precautionary triage, and Bowen is back 100% for Spring-- I will happily trade that for any National Championship!

It was a tough loss tonight, and I will have more to say about the season when Bowen's status is clarified. At the moment the only thought in my mind is to hope that her medical status is clarified (and cleared) by her medical team (rather than BigSoccer rumor).

Thanks to the Heels for an exciting season, and All my best wishes to the Bowen family!

kolabear and cpthomas repped this.
  17. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    This fan is sad. Anxious and concerned for Katie Bowen... sad for the team that tried so hard... down by three starters and then the fourth when Katie was hurt.

I am wanting to hear some definitive information about Katie. She was apparently unconscious for much of the 18 minutes she was lying on the ground. I am not a physician, but I understand that prolonged unconsciousness can potentially indicate very serious injury (brain or neck/spinal chord.) As reported by Anson via Graham Hayes above (thank you, Graham!) Katie was able to move her extremities by the time they got her into the ambulance. This is a good sign. I, UNC fans, and fans of other teams as well (which I am grateful to see expressed) are wishing her well and hope for a speedy and complete recovery. I do hope that UNC or her family (who were at the game) when the time is right will see fit to let us well wishers know how she is doing. The stunned silence of the crowd for those 20 minutes said volumes about our caring and concern. Many of us are parents who feel a special care for the young women who play such great soccer for our enjoyment (no matter what team.)

For those of you who do not know, Katie is not only a superb soccer player (and was having a great game before going down) but by all accounts is a wonderful person too. It was she who took time to help out an opponent during a game earlier this season. Her youthful exuberance is always on display and she clearly is a fun and caring individual well loved by her teammates.

As for the game itself, it was a game of different styles. The Tarheels, after typically moving the ball down the side, (where Sam Mewis wasn't) were working to score through lateral ball movement along the top of the box looking for openings, but the UCLA defense was quick to react. (I thought we would score near the end of the first half when a lame Crystal Dunn broke free for a close-in 10-yard shot, but the Bruin defense closed SO quickly and blocked her shot.) UNC did enjoy a small advantage in overall possession but UCLA was always dangerous with long passes trying to spring one of their lighting-fast half backs (principally Taylor Smith) for a 1v1 run on the goal, usually from the wing. (The Bruins also tried to score from a kick-off, tried a overloaded left side, and ran a defender up to try to break free.) In the end, the defensive balance which had served the Tarheels for much of the game was lost in the second overtime, and the Bruins were able to find Smith down the middle where, without Katie, she was able to out-sprint a lone defender for her score and the best team on the field won. As we all knew, the UCLA Bruins are an excellent team with great talent in all positions. They rightfully will move on to the College Cup.

To the lady Tarheels, I believe I can speak for many when I day that your efforts and fine play, both last night and throughout the season are immensely appreciated and admired. You are indeed all winners and will personally and individually prove that over the years.

kolabear and uncchamps2012 repped this.
  18. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    One never knows who reads these forums, but I believe in no more than six degrees of separation, so hopefully this will reach the right ears:

I continue to be concerned about Katie Bowen's health. I appreciate the encouraging report from Graham Hays, but it is inconclusive. I'm sure Katie was off to Memorial for x-rays, scans and observation. Over the next several days, as the team is able to rule out serious injury, a brief reassuring public press release would mean a lot (e.g., KB has been discharged from Memorial Hosp. and returned to classes after injury in the UCLA game.)-- for many of us, Katie's health is a lot more important than what happens in Cary. I know the team is protective of the players' (medical) privacy, but it would be meaningful to share some good news and would remove a lot of lingering anxiety that might otherwise persist until the Spring...

19. RUBlind

RUBlind Member

Nov 8, 2011
    From the UNC website:
    "Carolina had to make a defensive adjustment heading into the second overtime as starting defender Katie Bowen was taken off the field in an ambulance with an undisclosed injury with 49 seconds left in the first overtime. Bowen was conscious and alert when she the field to be taken to UNC Hospitals for further evaluation."

http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=209327992

20. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    It is a nice sentiment , but think we all have to remember that being a fan is a one way interaction. We are free to express good wishes and prayers, but can't really feel entitled to information. Let's assume that everyone she wants to know about her condition has been notified. A standing ovation at the next game is a very nice idea.

21. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    I wish all the best to Katie Bowen, great warrior and person and to the whole Tar Heels team.
    I was amazed watching post game interview - in all these circumstances you showed grit and class of reigning champions... :notworthy:

22. TinkerTaylor

TinkerTaylor Member

Sep 16, 2013
  23. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Jeff Kassouf:

"Update on UNC's Katie Bowen: Suffered a concussion and was released from the hospital last night. "Doing better" today, school tells me."

Glad to hear that she's better.

UNC4EVER, uncchamps2012 and lukephan repped this.
  24. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Onward and upward....can someone start a 2014 thread? :)

25. Newfor2010

Newfor2010 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Asker FK
    Congrats to the unc ladies as they should be proud of their season and proud of their performance against ucla. They played the #2 ranked team and took them to double overtime without key players available for the game - and that includes Dunn.

We always talk of Dunn’s soccer skills but this young lady suffers a high ankle sprain 6 days earlier and tries to go out to help the team. If you don't know, a high ankle sprain is much worse than a regular sprain and playing on that in less than a week is unheard of.