2013 U-20 World Cup Qualifying Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Balerion, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Ramos praises the DA like any good USSF apparatchik, but if he's really praising something, it's the MLS academies. Very few rostered players had a long-running association with a DA outside of MLS.

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    They almost all had a significant relationship with non-MLS DA clubs:
    Patedores, Vardar, Central Aztecs, Classics Elite, MN Thunder, FC Delco, Mustangs. Alot of players also played for non-MLS academies prior to joining MLS teams, Bradenton or leaving the country.
    Not that I care but your forced remarks on trying to label the DA as pinko commies I find funny.
    Why not try the latest in denigration and call them bullies or sheeple or black flag opps.

3. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    I want to be optomistic about our chances but for some reason my gut keeps churning that things are not going to go well. I can't wait to win the first game so i can relax.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparatchik is a Russian word for a member of the apparatus. Ie, a bureaucrat who just follows the directions from above.

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I know what it means. He used a word that conjures up a very specific context that refers to the negative aspects of communism first used during the 40's. He chose that word for a reason to describe Tab Ramos or anyone else who says positive things about the DA. A blindly following communist.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Hararea can speak for himself but I didn't interpret it to have anything to do with communism and instead as a reference to the a blindly following bureaucrat, which is the origin of the word and makes a lot more sense in this context than a reference to economic policy.

7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You're probably right but I interpret the word as predominantly used as a derogatory term for blindly following a proven failed concept of communism. It can be used generally but the etymology is quite strong and specific.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have agreed with you if you had written, "predominantly used as a derogatory term for blindly following the direction of superiors."

9. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    If it happens, it happens. We all understand how treacherous this format is. Just think positive though.

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I'd agree with you if we both experienced the same life experiences and educational exposure.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, alright.

12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Funny how a word or a phrase can have such a different visceral meaning based on our life experiences. Intellectually I know it has multiple meanings but I feel the communism bent much more than you do.

13. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    It gets far more tense after the first game, which is against a minnow. Then it's Costa Rica and then the all important QF game.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the game against Costa Rica is key. I'd much rather play Nicaragua or Cuba than Canada.

15. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint's hypothetical was "multiple caps." With Camp Cupcake, Gold Cups, qualifiers, and friendlies, we cap a ton of guys. Timmy Chandler's presence alone (and I still don't all the way trust him, btw, despite being cap-tied), won't preclude any player from getting a few caps.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah after Chandler and Parkhurst there really isn't a lot of depth at the position.

Cherundolo is going on 34 and injured.

Parkhurst is 29

After that you're left with Geoff Cameron moving out wide. Beitashour, who is 26. Tony Beltran, 25. Out of position Alfredo Morales or Perry Kitchen, 22 and 21. Orozco Fiscal, 27. An out of position Josh Gatt, 21.

There's plenty of room for a quality fullback to move into the void there if Yedlin progresses.

17. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sheanon Williams (22) and Kofi Sarkodie (21) have to be considered fringe prospects too. Yedlin certainly might pass them both but he'll have to get on the field for the Sounders first.

18. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrew Farrell will also likely start all season at RB as a 20 year old.

There are quite a few decent RB options in MLS.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I'm not saying he's better than anybody, just that the field is wide open. Those two would need to get called up first.

20. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just adding more information.

Good point on Farrell.

Real Corona repped this.
  21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I watched the Seattle-Salt Lake preseason game tonight and DeAndre Yedlin came on and was very strong. Didn't look at all out of place, defender well, was comfortable going forward and showed crazy pace.

If Eric Miller is better than he is, he must be pretty damn good, and that's a good thing. If not, Tab's an idiot.

22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Some highlights from the first Jamaica game, Joya's goal was nice (1:45), and the offensively maligned Okwuonu by some on these boards (in terms of playing RB) with the assist on Villarreal's header.

Pl@ymaker and mike4066 repped this.
  23. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was reading the article about the 3 guys playing in Mexico. They talked about how Tab has them playing a more possession based style and such. They (u23s,u20s, past u20s ,u17s even full NT) have talked about it for the past few years and I obviously seen some improvement on our style of play, mostly with the YNTs but I cannot wait for when this philosophy becomes 100% real.

I'm excited about this tourney, hopefully they do not disappoint, because it hasn't been a nice couple years for US teams.

24. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    sakibomb523 repped this.