2013 Open Cup Predictions/ Discussion

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by El Conductor, May 12, 2013.

1. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice little write-up on the quarterfinal draw. Only one game was determined geographically.
    Tampa and Chivas were the only 2 out of 16 teams that did not apply to host.
    http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/20...-hunt-us-open-cup-quarterfinal-draw-went-down

2. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked this in the comments section of http://thecup.us/2013-lamar-hunt-us-open-cup-results/

My meager understanding of the tie-breakers is that a tied game did not count as a win for the TB's, so I had thought that Des Moines got the breaker. Did you see any official announcement on this?

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a 2013 handbook, but this is what was in the 2012:

If two or more teams advance to the same round, the following order of steps will be used to determine which single team will be awarded the prize money:
    1. Team with the most victories against opponents from three divisions higher
    2. Team with the most draws against opponents from three divisions higher
    3. Team with the most victories against opponents from two divisions higher
    4. Team with the most draws against opponents from two divisions higher
    5. Team with the most victories against opponents from one division higher
    6. Team with the most draws against opponents from one division higher
    7. Team with the most victories against opponents from same division
    8. Team with the most draws against opponents from same division
    9. Team with the most overall victories
    10. Prize money to be divided equally among the teams

For the purpose of this procedure, a game that ends with kicks from the penalty mark to determine the team advancing to the next round is recorded as a draw. Additionally, should a Division II, Division III or Amateur team advance to the final match, the Champion and Runner-Up prize money will be awarded in lieu of the $10,000 divisional prize.

• None of the teams had victories over teams from three divisions higher (which would be MLS).
    • None of the teams had draws against teams from three divisions higher.
    • Des Moines had a victory against a team from two divisions higher (Minnesota of the NASL), while Tucson had a draw against a team from two divisions higher (San Antonio of the NASL).
    It would seem from that as if Des Moines' victory over Minnesota would give them the edge over Tucson's tie with San Antonio IF they didn't change the tiebreakers while they were changing stuff under the hood between 2012 and 2013.

Ocean City Nor'Easters...NYRBU23 (NPSL), W Pittsburgh (USLP), L PHI (MLS)
    Des Moines Menace...W Madison (NPSL), W Minnesota (NASL), L SKC (MLS)
    Reading United AC...W FC Sonic (NPSL), W Harrisburg (USLP), L NYRB (MLS)
    FC Tucson...W Phoenix (USLP), T San Antonio (NASL), L Houston (MLS)

4. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's one little announcement. I don't know what you may call "official" but I can find numerous reports of it.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/fc-tucson-s-run-in-u-s-open-cup-ends-in-houston/

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The prize is for teams that advance the furthest in the tournament, wins/ties do not matter, just how far you got and the tied breaker is strength of opposition.

I guess I was wrong, see Kenns reply.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I don't know that they didn't change the procedure between 2012 and 2013, they may have. It would not be at all surprising if FCT thought they won and told KVOA that, nor would it be surprising if KVOA just got that wrong. And it's entirely possible they're all right, I don't know. You would think USSF would have put that in a release somewhere.

7. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/sports/report/053013_soccer-notes/fc-tucson-top-pdl-team-us-open-cup/
    http://blog.thenewstribune.com/soccer/2013/05/30/last-of-pdl-teams-fall-out-of-open-cup/
    https://twitter.com/usopencup/status/339931627985698817
    http://thecup.us/2013-us-open-cup-third-round-houston-dynamo-end-fc-tucson-run-with-2-0-win/

The last two were from the TheCup.us references. Doesn't matter about "wins" according to them. It matters about "eliminations."

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, IF nothing changed in the handbook from 2012 to 2013, USSF > TheCup.us and USSF > KVOA and USSF > Tucson Sentinel* and USSF > The News Tribune.

IF USSF changed the tie breaking rules of its own tournament (which, again, it can, and given how many other changes it made, would not be out of the realm of possibility), then, fine. I have nothing but last year's rules.

*Not a real paper.

9. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, for now. (I wasn't meant to create an arguement on this point, since my Michigan Bucks got bounced early, and the Dearborn team that beat them, got ousted next round.) Was just asking. The only thing I see is that the Sentinel article quotes a PDL spokesman. However, just to stay on top of this, he does say that Tuscon "beat" two teams, when it goes down as a win and a tie.

Now, I'll give Kenn the point that they may have changed the rules without publicizing them. (BTW, how many rules were actually changed? All I knew were the prize money increase, tightening up the home game bid / draw process, eliminating the selling of home games, and expanding qualifying down to the Hop-On-One-Foot Soccer Association [the "HOOF," which works for a one-foot soccer league]. I know it looks like a lot, but nothing truely earth-changing.)

Slightly off topic, but sometimes I wonder that if USSF just split the ameateur prize fund amongst all ameteur tourney teams, then all the ameteur's would go for that. (Give the teams that advanced each round more weighting, so third-round teams do get more, but every team gets something.)

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing earth-shaking, yet that was exactly the shit people were losing their minds about.

And how far do you think $15k would go among all those amateur teams? ;)

11. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know how far it could go...

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thecup.us twitter account said today it was going to Des Moines.

13. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Not sure if it's been linked yet, but this was some pretty big news to me:

In Soccer’s U.S. Open Cup, a Twisted Loan Deal

Seems like this sort of thing should be addressed in the official rules of next year's tournament if the MLS-USL relationship is still around.

Nice to see the NYT covering the tournament, even if only in connection to a pretty shady MLS loan deal.

14. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    happens in FA Cup, Scottish Cup etc all the time, if ya know anything about loan deals in football/soccer its common, a exception is when Real Madrid did not make a clause in the contract to stop Morenties playing against Madrid in the Champions league when he was loaned out to Monaco, He scored two goals i believe to knock Real Madrid out of the Champions league, Madrid insist on that clause now days lol

blacksun and JasonMa repped this.
  15. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    would've been nice to have dwyer but we'll still win. 2-1 aet to orlando

16. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and repeated on the CUP.US page that I had linked above. Geez, I've been on BigSoc for 14 years... finally got one!!!! (maybe I should wait a bit further before doing my victory dance, Ponchat? you still tied to Tuscon winning the money?)

17. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition, the EPL bans players on loan from one EPL team to another from playing against the loaning club in the league (or at least it did as of 2010).

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I don't understand why this is such a big deal this year. It has been going on for a while. The Dynamo had loaned Josue Soto to San Antonio last year. He was barred from playing against Houston in the 2012 Open Cup. I'm sure there have been other examples. This is not new.

JasonMa repped this.
  19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said for a while this wouldn't have been an issue if Dwyer had 5 goals or something, it was a thing because of the number of goals he'd scored. Songo'o has played in all but 1 game for Orlando, played every minute in those games, but he's not mentioned much.

Not that it matters when Sporting act like they'd rather be in 1000 other places than on the field last night.

20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all...I just reported what I saw -- even from Cup.US.

Maybe they got it right this time?

I just wanted to say congrats were in order, to whoever it were given to...since I never saw it yet. Either way, FC Tucson had a good run. Menace did too. Congrats to them both.

21. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Chicago have a rival game against Columbus just a few days before the game against Orlando so i doubt many of their best players will be rested against us. 2-1 to orlando and definitely no bias in my prediction.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F**k Columbus, sent in the Fire PDL team is we can, rest the starters.

SparkeyG repped this.
  23. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I don't know how many people are still following this thread, but I thought I'd just point out that the USSF has released their Audited Financial Statement for the year, and profits for the USOC competition in 2013 more than doubled from 2012.

The particulars can be found on page 7, but here's the long and short:
    Last year USSF spent $377,678. This year they almost doubled their spending, bringing the total to $593,886.
    As a result, they took in a staggering $1,120,596 in 2013 as opposed to last year's $629,978.

That means they net almost half a million this year, as opposed to last year's record breaking profit of just over a fifth of a million.

TL;DR. You spend money to make money. People want this competition and will spend money on it if you give them a reason to.