2013 Off-season catchall

Discussion in 'Everton' started by spider_kin, May 25, 2013.

1. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So, I actively work to stay away from rumors and transfer news and all that stuff, but here are a few points that we already know:

1). Ossie signed 2 yr extension
    2). The badge has been butchered. (petition to sign here if you would like... not sure what good it will do).
    3). Stateside pre-season games are a go. One in San Fran on July 30th, one in LA on Aug 3rd and a 3rd in Miami FL either the 6th or 7th of August. More info here.

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be in the minority, but I actually like the new badge for the most part.

I don't have any problem dropping our motto, since I suspect only 1 person in 1000 understands what it says.

However, I definitely don't care for their depiction of our "tower". A tower should look towering, even if it's not in real life.

3. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The motto is what made our crest though. (my opinion)
    If I am not mistaken it had been a part of our badge for decades, got lost in the 70's and due to demand came back and was not removed until this hack.
    Personally, we have lost the plot if "Nothing but the best is good enough" is not good enough for our badge.

...and sign Vitor Perieria (sp) NOW

4. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah... I have a sinking feeling the board wants it off and is hoping that EFC fans forget about it, so they can give us even worse service and groups like the Blue Union won't oppose them.

That's my explanation for it anyway... A good conspiracy theory :D

ok, ok, I saw instantly what they are trying to do - make it really simple and eye catching so that the avg joe shmo will recognize it and hopefully remember and support it. But why would we want the "fans" we have to spoon feed like that? and srsly???? Man Utd badge is way more intricate than ours was with the motto and they are arguably the most recognized club in the world... All down to savy marketing during the ever changing 80s 90s and 00s - They got their name out there first, took the deals to televise matches world wide etc. (could be even earlier than 80s). Didn't hurt that in the 90s they started winning with a group of exciting youngsters either... As a marketing plan, I think the board is missing that vital and important point: appealing to the masses, you gotta give them wins every week.

I really like the bold all one color of the badge, but our old badge is all royal blue inside on the jerseys (as opposed to the faded-to-the-center of the used on tv/correspondence/etc one), so that issue is sort of a non-issue (for me). Taking so many things out is just too much all at once. I do kinda like the more realistic tower but I've seen a few of the fan made ones, and I really liked the one were they used the "old" tower, and on the bottom of the left side they used NSNO instead of a line for the edge of the tower, and the rest of the letters created the "ring" lines of the circular wall. I think they also had the wreaths in it around 1878 as well. There were so many ways to put NSNO in and keep the fans happy, but the board didn't. If, as you say, it was brought back to the badge BECAUSE of FAN OUTRAGE back in the day, why the blinkety blink blink would they have thought people would not be outraged now? It's at the point where I'm just continually shaking my head whenever anyone mentions any of the backroom management etc.

5. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spider_kin, aren't you out in southern CA these days? Will you make it to the Everton match there? I think I'll try to head to San Francisco and meet up with some friends there.

And I don't like the logo change.....so there!

6. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm moving to IA next week, to live with my sister. LOL not even an EFC game could convince me to stay here another 3 months... Sad but true.

7. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Depending on where in IA you end up, it can actually be pretty cool (yes, I said that about Iowa).

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IA as in Iowa?

9. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yep, to live with my sister. 2 hours more sleep before kick off, i Might be able to catch a few games this coming season! (I swear I slept through almost all weekend games here in cali, no matter how hard I tried to get up)

10. DrogbaAFotY

DrogbaAFotY New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Newport Beach, CA
    Anybody know where they will be practicing in LA? Open practices or even paid admission practices are a great way to see some of the world's best talent when it come to your backyard, without shelling out too much cash.

11. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Training is at Stub Hub Center Aug. 2, from 4-8 PM. Gen'l admission is $35.
    http://www.stubhubcenter.com/events/detail/real-madrid-everton-open-training

12. DrogbaAFotY

DrogbaAFotY New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Newport Beach, CA

Thanks!!!

I few years ago I went to a Chelsea practice at the then Home Depot Center for a couple bucks. Then I also found out about a smaller practice at UCLA that was a little more intimate. If any one hears of anything like this can y'all post about it? I think for such occurrences, they don't really announce anything until a couple days before hand.

13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about all the Toffee's last day transfer activity? Quite a bit different than under Moyes' watch

(sidenote: I wonder what Man United fans think of Moyes' ability to botch promising transfers for one reason or another)

To me, picking up Lukaku was a very very pleasant surprise. It's been obvious these first few games that Everton was desperately lacking goal scoring ability of any sort, and I have a feeling Lukaku will help out a lot in that regard, at least in the beginning.

Unfortunately, it seems as though being at Everton puts some sort of curse on strikers, where they start out strong but then go into a deep slump: as in Jelavic, Yakubu, Saha, etc, etc.

But supposedly Lukaku will only be with Everton one season, so hopefully he'll be able to withstand the curse while he's with us.

I'm not especially familiar with James McCarthy, but my recollection was that he was a solid, capable player for Wigan. But was he worth spending £13m on? That seems a stretch to me.

Gareth Barry was certainly impressive back when he played with Villa, but he never seemed to fit in at Man City. And I'm not especially confident that he'll fit in that well with the Toffees. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

14. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Thanks to Mou for thinking Torres and Ba are more suited to his style than Lukaku.

Definitely. Quality doesn't come cheap plus the market has become ridiculously overpriced in England.

15. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wouldn't call it a curse... that seems a bit extravagant (and sets up future strikers to psych them selves out and blame it on "the curse!!!")

I'd say Moyes was crap at playing people in position... whenever he pushed pienar into center mid I'd cringe... playing jags at RB... putting jela up there on his own without the style of service/play he was used to/excelled at. Yeah he was "making do" with the players we had, but it screwed the players over.

I'm still not sure RM is going to be able to do anything better, nor even as good. and boy do I hope I'm wrong on that :/ Each player in seems to have something we need, but several aren't the "finished packet" like deulofeu and mccarthy, both young, both we need to "put in the game at the right time/pace".... we need players right now, not to develop.

kone seems horrendous so far. Barry should be able to make some sort of difference, and I don't remember the other players we got at the beginning of the season.

Lukaku seems to be the player others are talking about the most. Fingers crossed he comes through for us! :)

16. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - I went for a week-long backpacking trip - and the world changes.

Not surprised Fella is gone - but I like the $$ involved; glad Baines stayed.

Nice additions to the team - I would hope that we can look at converting the loans to permanent deals for those deemed worthy - though of course, if they do prove so, they'll be expensive!

17. LG David

LG David Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Absolutely delighted Baines has stayed. Comfortably the best and most important player at the club. There wouldn't have been a player out there we could either afford or attract that would be near his ability.

Getting as much as we did for Fellaini and Anichebe was good business but we usually sell well so I sort of expected it.

I just think it's all short-term at the moment with Martinez. Yeah, we brought in Robles who will finally give Howard the kick up the arse he desperately needs and McCarthy is a good buy (the only one from Wigan I wanted) but other than that it will put us in a poor position again a year down the line. Deulofeu and Lukaku on loan, whilst good players, there's not a chance we could make them permanent Everton players. I think we're past the point of developing other clubs players. Loans like Pienaar, Arteta, Fernandes etc are fine. One's we could realistically buy at the end. Barry (32), Alcaraz (31), Kone (29), all could play a part this season and possibly onto the year after but then what?