2013 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Taylor Vancil, where did she play her Club ball at??
    You guessed it again, Eclipse Select for Rory Dames.

Seems like Dames is choosing his style of players and his former Club players as well.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So far I am going to keep my assessment comments until the whole picture is formed.​
    However looking at how things are forming and judging from interview/twitter comments by Red Stars ownership, staff, coaches, a couple of things stand out to me so far:​
    1. Since they don't have the "high profile media star", it seems they are focusing on local talent to bring in fan support. - (So then hurry up and sign Brittany Bock!!)​
    2. They are getting players that can be coached by Rory Dames and fit his style of play.​
    3. Getting players that they feel would be happy to play in Chicago. No use getting someone who would rather be somewhere else.​

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just to add to what I said above. Not going to make assessments yet.

However... I want to see how the Bywaters draft pans out among the free agent signings they will get.
    If they drafted Bywaters because they plan on signing Brittany Bock, Lori Chalupny, and Jen Buczkowski as well as a top free agent forward, then I'll say OK, the Bywaters pick may make sense.

But... if the best they do in free agency is Ella Masar and a few other mediocre draft signings just because they are local players or because they can be coached by Rory Dames then I'm going to be pissed.

We all know that Zakiya Bywaters was NOT the best player on the board at #1.

So they better have some GREAT signings with free agency that will fill a needed roll playmaker roll or forward needs. Otherwise they wasted a #1 draft pick.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Quon - to Winters or Garza - to Bywaters - to Masar, can be a dangerous attack.

They're connecting their auto parts together to assemble an automobile filled with increased horse power on the attack, from all angles on the field, and on the counter attack. Bywaters is a perfect piece to that. They need Masar. Bywaters is a better attacking mid, than a forward up top. She creates havoc by advancing the ball up the field, down the flanks, etc. Better than Mewis at that even.

MRAD12, I do have a question for you. I'm going to put you on the spot, since you're a die-hard Red Stars fan. So we'll pretend you're an elite official of the Red Stars, and have some input on the final roster. Let's say, 25 players are trying out, and you can only keep 20 players out of these 25. What five players do you cut? (and you can't cut the 7 subsidized players of course) ....

F - Maribel Dominguez (subsidized - Mexico)
    F - Ella Masar (Illinois - Local ties)
    F - Jen Hoy (Rookie, 3rd round pick)
    F - Amanda Cinalli (Notre Dame alum)
    F - Kerri Hanks (Notre Dame alum)
    F - Michele Weissenhofer (Notre Dame alum)
    MF - Zakiya Bywaters (Rookie, 1st round pick)
    MF - Jessica Price (hometown in Illinois - Local ties)
    MF - Dionra Garza (subsidized - Mexico)
    MF - Keelin Winters (subsidized - USA)
    MF - Leslie Osborne (free agent, local ties to just outside Chicago)
    MF - Jen Buczkowski (Notre Dame alum)
    MF - Julianne Sitch
    MF - Lori Chalupny (local ties to the Midwest, former Red Star)
    MF - Shannon Boxx (subsidized - USA, and Notre Dame alum)
    D - Rachel Quon (Rookie, 2nd round pick - local ties)
    D - Carmelina Moscato (subsidized - Canada)
    D - Amy LePielbet (subsidized - USA)
    D - Brittany Bock (Notre Dame alum)
    D - Elise Weber (Notre Dame alum)
    D - Lauren Fowlkes (Notre Dame alum)
    D - Natalie Spilger
    GK - Erin McLeod (subsidized - Canada)
    GK - Taylor Vancil (Rookie, 4th round pick)
    GK - Allison Lipsher

What five players do you cut? :cool:

One thing to keep in mind is that Tarpley and Chalupny are really good friends (from the Midwest) who both played at UNC together. Tarpley is also good friends with Leslie Osborne dating back to their teenage years. All three played on the national team together, and are friends today. All three have discussed about playing together for the Red Stars to finish their career (and all three are originally from the Midwest, so it makes sense). Tarpley may be on that roster in 2014. Would you actually cut Osborne or Chalupny? Or prepare to have them both on the roster in 2013, and anticipate Tarpley joining them in 2014?

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Also, I think too many people are taking Dinora Garza lightly. She's the one that wears #10 for Mexico for a reason. She's a playmaker for them. An attacking mid, who can make things happen, and score goals. Chicago needs all the distributors they can get, since most of their midfielders are of the holding and defensive type. I would venture to say that she is one of Mexico's Top 5 overall valuable players.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Out of that list I would cut Kerri Hanks, Julianna Sitch, Taylor Vancil, Amanda Cinalli, Jessica Price.
    Brittany Bock is verstile and can play anything. At Notre Dame she played attacking mid and forward. Fowlkes can play forward and center back. She played both at ND and with CRS last season.
    I'd keep Michele Weissenhofer. Her flip throw is the best I've ever seen anyone do, Period.
    I wish Natalie Spilger would come back. A fan favorite and the best female chisseled body you ever saw. And hot to boot.
    I would also welcome Tarpley back. Loved her when she was in Chicago. Our first Captain.
    Kerri Hanks is an interesting one. She was awesome at Notre Dame, but I don't see her fittiing with this group, even her old ND teammates.

You know who I would absolutely LOVE to see come back in a CRS uniform? - Marian Dalmy.

8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Good point on Dalmy. Maybe she'll be back with the Red Stars.
    What internationals (if you had to pick one or two) would you love seeing in a Red Star uniform?
    I think Schelin would be a great fit in Chicago, up top. Doubt it happens, lol.

[​IMG]

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Lotta Schelin was my desire back when Marcia McDermott was the GM of CRS.

But... Marta, man, Marta!

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    This is a cool photo of Spilger with Asllani (Sweden).
    Maybe they can get her to come back over from Sweden again someday.
    She was not very non-attractive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ah yes, Natalie Spilger.
    She was tough as nails and, steaming hot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    WOW, I actually miss that old Chicago vs. St. Louis rivalry.
    Those were arguably the two best jerseys in WPS history right there.
    Those Red Stars uniforms were great, and so were those dark green unis from St. Louis.

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Natalie Spilger gave the best hugs ever!

Just one of the nicest people you would ever meet. She would be the last player left still hugging kids, signing autographs, etc. And a I got a hug myself on an occasion.

14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    LOL

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's players like Natalie Spilger, Marian Dalmy, Brittany Klein that we fell in love with our first 2 seasons. They were such great people and so humble and available to the fans.

This new group has some big shoes to fill.

16. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LePeilbet will be out 6-8 months. Will have ACL surgery. The Red Stars get a 5th free agent signing.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LePeilbet is going to have ACL surgery. The benevolent overlords running NWSL will let CRS sign 5 free agents before Jan 31 instead of 4.

The restrictions on the ability to sign free agents pretty much blows, btw.

eta: jinx.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Too bad...I like LePeilbet...she's not really an outside back but she has a really nice work rate. Sort of ironic that she slide over to replace Krieger and now Krieger is back LePeilbet is out.

19. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :p Great minds think alike.

Definitely agree on the restrictions when it comes to signing free agents. Sort of undermines the whole.. "free" part free agency.

20. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Loss of the Free part without collectively bargaining it away in trade for something else. Of course probably just grateful to have a league to play in to begin with. Hopefully this BS is just for the start up year and next year will be open.

ForeverLOST108 repped this.
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    296051002593927168 is not a valid tweet id

Does this mean they already have the first 4 signed?

22. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd assume. It sounds like most teams have their free agents signed. However, it sounds like they won't announce them until after the 31st now.

23. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I bet at least one of them is a Notre Dame alum. ;)

24. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Hard to do since she is playing in Paris, France nowdays :) Zlatan Ibrahimoviz convinced PSG they needed a Swedish forward on the Women's side to so they got Asllani (so she is playing with Lindsey Horan now).

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NWSL news saying that Ella Masar will play with the Red Stars, but teams can't announce any signings officially until after the 31st.

Chicago Red Stars

1 CM; Shannon Boxx (USA)
    2 CB; Amy LePeilbet (USA) - Out for the year ACL
    3 CM; Keelin Winters (USA)
    4 GK; Erin McLeod (CAN)
    5 MF; Carmelina Moscato (CAN)
    6 FW; Maribel Dominguez (MEX)
    7 MF; Dinora Garza (MEX)
    8 CM; Leslie Osborne (USA) (pending approval)
    9 FW; Ella Masar (USA) (not signed yet but is 99% sure)
    21 CRS allowed 1 extra player to replace LePeilbe.

Draft pick; Zakiya Bywaters FW?
    Draft pick; Rachel Quon FB
    Draft pick; Taylor Vancil GK?
    Draft pick; Jennifer Hoy FW
    Trialist
    Trialist
    Trialist
    Trialist