2013 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Dec 12, 2012.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago Red StarsShannon Boxx (USA)
    Amy LePeilbet (USA)
    Keelin Winters (USA)
    Erin McLeod (CAN)
    Carmelina Moscato (CAN)
    Maribel Dominguez (MEX)
    Dinora Garza (MEX)

2. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, not going to lie.. I'm not thrilled.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone had to get the shaft, it happens, lets hope for some good free agent pick ups and some good draft picks.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Neither am I...
    And I don't view any of these really working well with the establish CHI core I would expect the team to pick up via free agency....

5. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention by the time the season starts, 4 of the allocated players will be 30+.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dominguez is a good forward (older), I just hope she and Masar can play together on top.

7. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering who would get Boxxy. She might not be a great player to build a franchise, or be a very marketable face, but I think Chicago is going to be sneaky good because of her this year. Hard to find a good holding DM, especially if teams are being forced to play 4-5-1

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If Dames' gets some players that played for him last season like Chalupny, Buzchkowski, Masar, and homegirl LePilebet, and if he can get Bock to come back home, Chicago will be fine..

Boxx will fit in well with Dames' style of coaching. The only thing I worry about is her age and how she will hold up on a 92 degree heat game day in the middle of summer in Chicago on a hot astroturf field for 90 minutes.

9. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not too happy but going in I figured they would shaft the red stars so I wasn't expecting much.

10. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not forget Fowlkes as well. I think defensively they will be fine, but again.. who will score the goals for Chicago?

11. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Hopefully Chicago and Western New York get the top two picks in the draft (whoever gets #1 between these two, whatever). They both got the shaft (Chicago had the worst allocation overall, where as Western New York had the worst allocation of the international players from CAN and MEX, and had six national team players instead of seven allocated to them).

As for Chicago, it could look like this:

F - Ella Masar
    F - Maribel Dominguez (Mexico)
    F - Samantha Kerr (international, Australia)
    F - Tiffany McCarty (rookie)
    F /MF - Amanda Cinalli
    MF/F - Jessica Price (rookie)
    MF - Keelin Winters (USA)
    MF - Ally Miller (rookie)
    MF - Dinora Garza (Mexico)
    MF - Jennifer Buczkowski
    MF- Julianne Sitch
    MF - Shannon Boxx (USA)
    MF/D - Lori Chalupny
    D - Brittany Bock
    D - Carmelina Moscato (Canada)
    D - Amy LePielbet (USA)
    D - Elise Weber
    D - Lauren Fowlkes
    D - Natalie Spilger
    GK - Erin McLeod (Canada)
    GK - Allison Whitworth

Chicago needs to get some more speed on their attack.
    I could see them draft both Tiffany McCarty and Jessica Price, from Florida State.
    Ally Miller is an excellent draft pick in the midfield. 21 players are listed here, because one might get cut, or an injured player, etc.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I believe Carmelina Moscato is an Assistant at University of Wisconsin. Hardly 2 1/2 hours drive from Chicago. She will be close to her job.

The huge Mexican community may be interested in seeing Maribel Dominguez.

Red Stars could also be "Notre Dame Pro" if they sign last year's players in Lauren Fowlkes, Elise Weber, Jen Buzckowski, Amanda Cinalli, Michelle Weisenhoffer, to play along side Boxx and hopefully Brittany Bock.

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a little surprised to see Boxx and Winters on the same team, as they both are best at holding mid. I assume box isn't moving somewhere else, so where will Keelin play? I'm a fan of Keelin's -- wondering whether she'll move up into a more attacking mid role, then spell Boxx when she gets too tired.

14. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am pretty sure Masar is in.

So lets assume the players you mention are in what do we have so far

------Dominguez -------------- Masar
    Chalupny---Winters---Boxx-----Garza
    ---???------LePilebet-----Fowlkes-----Moscato
    ---------------------McLeod---------------------

It looks like we may need a Left back/Right back

Bench
    Buzchkowski - MF

Also some other free agents we may get

Amanda Cinalli FW
    Is Michele Weissenhofer still in college? @mweissen11

Who else do you think, we need defensive help and a back up goal keeper.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Michelle Wenino played very strongly last season at defensive back. I expect Julianne Sitch and Mary Therese McDonald to be back.

IMO, the Red Stars will bring back some of the players from last year, especially those that live in the Chicago area. But they will need to look for some strong free agency help in forward and midfield as well as one or two more strong defenders out of college or FA.

The idea of homegirl Brittany Bock playing in Chicago is a wishful thought of mine as a Notre Dame fan and having met her very nice family who live in Chicago. I hope my wish comes true but I have a feeling that a team like WNY Flash may be looking at her as well.

Hopefully in a couple weeks we will know more how the team shapes up.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    She doesn't have any NCAA eligibility left. She quit Texas in the middle of 2010, tore her knee up in Brazil, and came back to play at Lee University in NAIA. Lee's moving to the NCAA in 2013 though, so Fortune's ineligible again. Conceivably, she could sign professionally at any time.

19. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darn it, MRAD12, 1999? It really wasn't THAT long ago, even though it might seem like it.

2009, less than four years ago. If it was 1999, then it would really bring a tear to my eye.;)

WPS_Movement "St. Louis wasn't the best city in the Midwest for women's soccer." Them's darn near fighting words, my friend.:) I think if you realize the politics going on down here at the time, the less than optimal fan response would be a little more understood. Jeff Cooper & SLSG. Many people down here hated both and wouldn't support the team because of it. They played in three different places the first year, advertised almost none at all, and had ownership problems throughout.

But back to Chicago, I guess I'll end up pulling for wherever Chalupny lands. If it's Chicago, I will try to make it up there for a game or two again this year.

I didn't see the allocation as being as bad as some people. McLeod's a solid keeper (once she learns how to count to seven). LePeilbet's a veteran and while I sometime have trouble with her national team play against some of the tougher teams, she should be fine in league play. Boxx and Winters are two tough, gritty midfielders. Dominguez is a pretty crafty forward. I worry about age first and fourmost. How many more miles, before the waranty runs out on Boxx and Dominguez. They definitely need offensive help, but hopefully the draft and free agency will help that.

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I have noticed that liberal states tend to be more in favor of women's sports, than conservative states, hence why Illinois seems to be the best state in the Midwest for women's soccer demand over the state of Missouri.

Liberal States: New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts (Boston), Connecticut, Maryland and DC, Illinois (Chicago), California, Oregon, Washington (Seattle), etc.

These states tend to be more supportive of women's sports, and women's soccer specifically.

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, if you look at college women's soccer attendance, Texas, Utah, and Florida also are in the upper end of women's soccer support. And, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, and DC don't come out so well.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her profile says that was playing for the W-League Charlotte eagles (the Christian teams) last year. Might be worth a call, even if she says no.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    LOL Cville K C, I didn't see that. Meant 2009.

Nevertheless, it was awesome. For that game, you guys (LeClede's Army) were pumped and had it going, we brought a lot of fans from Chicago and it was magical. I wish that rivalry would have lasted longer. It would have been good for womens soccer and soccer fans of both cities.

I am hoping that Chalupny resigns with the Red Stars. She did well there last year and knows what to expect form Rory Dames.

24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i've been questioning this on other threads.

if ussoccer is handling health insurance, i doubt they'll let anyone (nwsl) sign her.

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's actually not a bad question. Since they already announced that all players will have health insurance, then I'm assuming they will be covered under USSF and if that's the case then Chalupny, very sadly, may not be "cleared" to play.