2013 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Dec 12, 2012.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    And Tarpley will be joining at some point.
    That may cut out Hoy.

Santacaterina, Wenino, Hoy, and Gilmore, are the ones that look most expendable.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it looks like at least 3 girls will be cut in June

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So depth charts?

GK - Erin McLeod - Taylor Vancil

RB - Rachel Quon - Michelle Wenino

CB1 - Carmelina Moscato- Lauren Fowlkes

CB2 - Taryn Hemmings - Lydia Vandenbergh

LB - Jackie Santacaterina? -

CM - Shannon Boxx - Hanna Gilmore

CM -Leslie Osborne- Julianne Sitch

OM - Lori Chalupny - Alyssa Muntz

AM - Zakiya Bywaters - Dinora Garza

FW - Jessica McDonald

ST - Ella Masar - Maribel Dominguez

Still ???? at fullbacks?

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO Lauren Fowlkes is a player you put in the starting 11 one way or another. She had a better season than Masar last year and I believe scored more goals than Chalupny. I think she can play pretty much anywhere on the field.
    Question: Why start McDonald over Dominguez? Just curious.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree. Lauren Fowlkes is a very good versatile player. She played everywhere except in goal for Randy Waldrum at Notre Dame. When there was a tough opponent to be marked, he would put her on defense, then in the second half when a goal was needed to be scored, he would move her up front and bam! she would score a goal.---She did the exact same thing last year for the Red Stars in the WPSL.

Although Fowlkes has played very well in the U-20's and won a World Championship under Dicicco, IMO, she is one of those players that will probably never see a USWNT senior jersey and it will be shame!

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe at LB or RB. Maybe they will play with 3 CB's.

She has been playing so far, who knows, Dominguez may win out eventually.

8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Chicago's offense needed Inka Grings bad.
    Their goals per game avg. will go up quite a bit in the 2nd half of the season.
    If Chicago can just stay in the playoff hunt (5th or 6th place) until Grings gets there, they have a lot to look forward to in the 2nd half of the season. I believe Grings is gonna be there for 2/3 of the regular season, last I checked. So just stay out of 7th or 8th place after the first 1/3 of the season is complete, and their playoff hopes are totally alive when Grings gets there.

The Chicago vs. Sky Blue matches throughout the season, could be the most important matches in the regular season... in the entire league. That could mean the difference between who finishes 4th, and who finishes 5th.

To me, I see the league like this:

Tier 1 teams
    Portland
    KC
    WNY

Tier 2 teams
    Sky Blue
    Chicago (Grings, defensive midfield, and balanced roster, with toughness, solidifies Tier-2)

Tier 3 teams
    Boston (would've been Tier-2, if Mitts, Short, and D'Agostino were all still available all year)
    Seattle (how many games will they be without Solo and Rapinoe, and no A-Rod, no Krzysik)
    Washington (maybe we should move them to Tier-4. just kidding)

9. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Chicago's chemistry and familiarity with each other will help them out a lot. This is a very similar team that nearly won the WPSL Elite last year. Granted, that won't be the competition of the NWSL but this team has a good group of core players that already have played together for a while.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    According to Rory Dames Twitter, Shannon Boxx is in Chicago and they have all their 20 ready to go for Sunday.

https://twitter.com/dames_rory

Yes! Let's play ball!
    Go Red Stars!!

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    True, plus adding Leslie Osborne will work wonders for this team.
    Bywaters gives them an engine they didn't already have.
    She might not have been the best overall player in that draft, but she may actually fit what this team "needed most". She can push the ball forward and create havoc, which can lead to more scoring opportunities.

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is another preview.

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=11330

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

[​IMG]

how long before solo is back? and rapinoe isn't a potential 10 goal mid-fielder like casey, won't be coming back to magicjack (wambach with headers and receiving asst'ed goals on press' runs) with this squad. it's 2014 for seattle and washington.

17. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    But Seattle could certainly be a MONSTER in 2014.
    I think Keelin Winters will come off the list as a subsidized player (she's no where near Sermanni's radar it seems, for his Top 24, and then you have last year's U20 players as up and coming players that Sermanni will be courting more than Winters).
    Seattle then retains Winters in 2014 by paying for her as a free agent.

All this would mean Seattle could then get another 3rd allocated USWNT player.
    Do they retain Amy Rodriguez? I also have a feeling that A-Rod won't be one of Sermanni's (or US Soccer's) Top 24 next season. So Seattle then signs Rodriguez to a free agent deal, because she's going to want to play for someone that she can come back and start for on the west coast (she isn't starting for Portland).

Seattle should push for Whitney Engen to be their third U.S. allocated player, in 2014.
    Or Julie Johnston, if she is one of the 24 that is subsidized by US Soccer next year (instead of having to draft her). Seattle currently does not have a USWNT subsidized player on their back line.

Therefore, Seattle could end up with a national team pool like this in 2014:

Amy Rodriguez (free agent, no longer subsidized in 2014)
    Megan Rapinoe (SUBSIDIZED in 2014)
    Keelin Winters (free agent, no longer subsidized in 2014)
    Whitney Engen (SUBSIDIZED in 2014)
    Hope Solo (SUBSIDIZED in 2014)

Seattle Reign (2014)?
    F - Amy Rodriguez, Tiffany Cameron, Lindsay Taylor, Liz Bogus, Courtney Verloo
    AMF - Megan Rapinoe, Jessica Fishlock, Christine Nairn, Kristen Meier
    DMF - Keelin Winters, Teresa Noyola, Kaylyn Kyle
    D - Elli Reed, Whitney Engen, Kate Deines, Emily Zurrer, Keirsten Dallstream, Barnes, Jen Ruiz
    GK - Hope Solo, Michelle Betos, Haley Kopmeyer

Exit: Kristen Larsen, Lyndsey Patterson, Victoria Frederick

Conclusion
    A full season with Rodriguez, Rapinoe, Winters, Engen, Solo, etc, could go a long way toward them being a title contender in 2014.

18. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    how do allocations work, if two california teams enter in 2014? a couple of teams have to give up players.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Let's not discuss California expansion (or any other teams) in the Chicago forum unless it's immediately applicable to the Red Stars, m'kay?

LeftCoastLondoner repped this.
  20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love you guys' passion, and I have to agree with Siberian T; this part of the conversation would go better in the Seattle thread or Expansion thread or maybe a new NWLS 2014 thread. Or, how about this: end the post with a relate back to the subject of the thread? But what the heck, today is Game Day, no better day in the week.

21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It does have something to do with Chicago.
    My post had "Keelin Winters" in it.
    She was originally allocated to Chicago. :)

newsouth's post about California does have something to do with Seattle as well.
    If California gets one or more expansion teams, Seattle will have to leave some of their players unprotected into the expansion draft (which Cali expansion team(s) might gobble up).

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have seen Red Stars play before at Benedictine and although the stadium structure itself is not all that bad. All the fricken football lines and the short astroturf DO NOT give the ambiance a soccer feel.
    The ball rolls too fast and it's always out of bounds over the touch line. Hate football lines when soccer is being played! Hate em!
    Just my opinion.

23. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't make the game how big was the crowd. You're agreeing with me now they should play at Toyota Park?

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard two CRS employees talking (Well one was an employee, not sure about the other), they said Toyota Park charged them 40K per game.

I imagine the ownership can not afford that.

I should have asked them how much they pay at Benedictine.

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've also heard from people, who I believe know, that Toyota park was charging them around $40,000-$50,000 per game and ALL the parking money went to Toyota Park. That's what the rumor was in the WPS days. I'm sure Benedictine charges them a fraction of the cost and free parking. I'ts just the field. It looks so generic and doesn't have a soccer feel to it. The ball goes so fast on that short astroturf it's always out of bounds.

Fannadict, I'm not disagreeing or agreeing. Man, there's nothing more then I anticipate during the week then Fire game day and heading to TP on a warm Saturday summer evening. Great atmosphere.

Red Stars can't afford Toyota Park. That's a fact. However, I just can't stomach looking at football lines on an astroturf field while there's a professional soccer game being played.
    But playing at TP would put the Red Stars out of business in a hurry.

I just wish Chicago had a small size soccer specific stadium of the likes of Wake-Med field in Cary, NC or Starfire in Seattle that holds between 5,000-7 -10,000. That would be perfect: