2013 Carolina Challenge Cup

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by cosmo fan, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ten more days!

Team began training Feb 1. several players from last year already in town along with a couple unannounced signings and trialist.

invite trials begin this weekend and hope to get out there to see what the talent looks like.

Setting up a tailgate menu soon for the First Saturday.

It is nearly time!

2. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weather for Saturday matchday 1 is calling for lots of sunshine, high in the upper 50's and low in the lower 30's. Once again, chilly nightime temps & another golden opportunity to sell some long sleeved gear. I offer the suggestion every year but alas, still no long sleeve replica jerseys!! One of these years, I'm going to set up a little bootleg cart out in the parking lot selling winter gear to freezing Battery fans. (free tequila shots with every purchase too [​IMG] )

Mikey mouse repped this.
  3. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they had hooded sweatshirts last year, that I bought. all kinds of new Nike stuff, so I hear...

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    met a Chicago Fire fan today, who's here on vacation for the CCC. He and his wife came last year too.

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lots going in prep for the Carolina Challenge Cup.

Battery players seem to be doing public apperances and a doing the rounds on radio and local TV.

Vancouver arrived last night and are practicing at the College of Charleston field. here is a video with Rennie and Demert
    http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/02/first-day-charleston

Chicago Fire trained at the battery practice field today and had a reptilian visitor!
    http://deadspin.com/5984393/?utm_ca...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Media lunch tomorrow where they will be unveiling the new Nike Battery Jersey.

Battery has a quick preview of the CCC
    http://charlestonbattery.com/news/1...-gets-underway-saturday-at-blackbaud-stadium/

Tailgate Saturday starting around 3pm near the east stand entrance for those going to be in town.

Appears the games will be on usllive.com but i will comfirm that tomorrow.

7. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is great news for those of us who cannot make this trip!

8. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn Mikey, I'm impressed. You usually misspell words like "dog" and "cat" and you nailed "reptilian"!! Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :geek:

Mikey mouse repped this.
  9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to be honest, spelling dog and cat isn't my problem. it's typing at a high rate that trips me up, well that and not reading over what I've typed.

heading down to the media lunch for the Battery this afternoon so I see what else I can find out.

you going to make it at all? Brewvial is next Saturday and Holy City has a couple special brews ready to go...

10. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard that tomorrow is sold out

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrew Miller (P&C) tweeted earlier that less than 400 tickets are left. That said, they typically sell a couple hundred "standing room only "

Looks like all games will be on USLnation too.

http://www.uslnation.com/

Good to see Tommy Heinamann as well.

was introduced to Quinton Griffiths (antiqua and Barbudos national team) and Dane Kelly was at the luncheon today.

12. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard Dane was coming up, Navion is injured right now. Lot of those seats are allocated for the yute tournament.

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Looking forward to the Whitecaps vs Battery game, hope the stream quality is good, and the stadium is full!

15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    should be a good match and hope the stream is good too. Not sure who will be running the cameras and commentary.

Reporting less than 400 ticket left for the match as of last night and the weather is pretty cool right now and it looks like we wills see some scattered showers this afternoon with a posiblity of snow this evening !

another video
    http://www.abcnews4.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=8398691

16. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mikey... I am hopeful, but it is iffy. Friends coming into town to help ring in my 40th. But I will be down soon.

17. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cold, wet and windy. wind chill in the 20s snow flurrys about 8 miles north of the stadium but it was good to see the Battery back on the pitch.

The boys got beat in the back field a few times early in the match but shored up the defense and went into the half 2-0 down. they got beat by a sick goal early in the second half to make it 3-0

Nicki Paterson had a good goal to make it 3-1 and Dane Kelly had a great individual effort to make it 3-2 the Battery continue to press with several other chance but couldn't find the equalizer.

Great highlight reel from the tonight.

goindownsouth repped this.
  18. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was the coldest game there, that I could ever remember, especially when the wind picked up in the second half.

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    List of the players that played last night

30.Kevin Klasila; 4.Taylor Mueller (9.Dane Kelly 45'), 3.Ebrima Jatta (14.Gibson Bardsley 45'), 22.Cody Ellison, 25.John Wilson (7.Eli Dent 65); 23.Amadou Sangyang (6.Sean Furguson 45', 18.Cody Millard 88') , 5.Micheal Azira (15.Tommy Catalano 71'), 11.Quinton Griffith, 24.Zach Prince (19.Jarad vanSchaik 45'), 8.Nicki Paterson (26.Austin Savage 71'); 10.Jose Cuevas (21.Ralphy Lundy Jr. 65')

players from 2012 season in Italics

Couple names from USL and NASL teams: Ebrima Jatta LA Blues, Gibson Barsley Dayton Dutch Lions, Quinton Griffith Antigua Barracudas, Jarad Van Schaik is from the now on hiatus PR Islander.

Two of the players (Cody Millard and Eli Dent) are Battery academy players.

Ralphy Lundy and Sean Ferguson played locally at the College of Charleston, Austin Savage from Clemson, Tommy Catalano comes from Oakland University. Quite a few more names on the pre-season roster and will try to scan it in later.

20. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Savage is a good player. I could see him latching on, hopefully somewhere soon.

21. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Must've been why the place was so empty then, good game though. Brad Rusin, another D2 NASL player graduating to the MLS, looked pretty good for the Cap's.

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They actually sold out the stadium last night and were selling standing room only tickets at the gates But obviously alot of people didn't show.

The tickets are included with the Season ticket passes and you can buy a pass for all three matches at a discount. If I were a casual fan locally I would have picked another night.

I know a lot of people left early as well. it was cold and when the wind came up it was pretty brutal, especially for us folk that are used to much more gentile weather!

23. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from the Battery match day program
    [​IMG]

24. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prediction for matchday 2:

Sunshine - 1, Snow - Nil

Mikey mouse repped this.
  25. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bribey right looks like clear skys for tonight. Still pretty cool out there especially for the second match (low tonight is supposed to be about 38F)

Both matches will be on www.USLnation.com if you cant make it out to the game.

No official tailgate tonight but I image a few of us will be sharing a beverage or two before the game in the usual spot.