2013/2014 Season Thread [poll]

Discussion in 'FC Schalke 04' started by LongDuckDong, Jul 17, 2013.

?

Season thread name?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2013.
  1. Come Kell-er high water!

20.0%
  2. From Keller to Top!

60.0%
  3. Keller der Hersteller (of wins)

20.0%
  4. Other, write-in

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can't really expect Keller to know what to do with a good pressing scheme since he still doesn't believe such a thing exists.

2. Alex Weber

Alex Weber Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    I lol'ed

3. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If his cryptonite leads to draws he doesn't have much to figure out.

Bad game by us. Just happy that Wolfsburg and Leverkusen lost. Guess Dortmund has now pretty much secured second place with their superior goal differential.

4. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not being able to organize a coherent pressing scheme is why Bayern and Real eviscerated you so thoroughly, it's why you never had a chance against Chelsea, and why you guys struggle to really take control against teams you have the talent to, see CL matches against the other clubs in your group where the team was thoroughly underwhelming.

5. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good observation. I felt fairly fortunate that the club was leaving there with a point.

6. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really don't think that our main problem against the good teams was our bad pressing. You can defend well without playing pressing. Our defensive problems had to do with a lack of compactness, lack of defending from our attacking players and a defensive tactic which was vulnerable to breakdowns if one or two players lost their positions. We could and can compensate against weaker teams, but the better ones use the holes and space to score.

We seriously started playing pressing only in the second half of the season anyway. Even then it is not a mainstay of our gameplan but a tactical alternative used now and then. I doubt that our lack of use is down to Keller not understanding how to use or implement it. One reason is that the team is in poor physical shape. They looked gassed after 70-75mins in the last couple of weeks. Guess that is partly down to the injuries, lack of experience (pacing) and partly poor conditioning (so the coaches fault).

7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoeger, Santana, and Farfan trained today :thumbsup:

8. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope they are cautious with Höger. Glad that Farfan is back. Obasi played well enough, but Farfan is on a different level.

9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, there isn't a need to rush Höger. I doubt any of them play this weekend. Maybe Farfan makes the bench?

10. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think he will. He is too important and the alternatives too bad.

11. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Draxler missed training because of a calf injury and Huntelaar injured his achilles tendon. Looks like Huntelaar will be back in training later this week. Draxler is day by day.

12. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you want a nice day of football, you can watch Eurosport later on before switching to our game this evening.. They show the semifinal in the UEFA youth league between Schalke and Barca. I think the game starts at 16:30 or 17:00.

13. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I turned on Eurosport and all I see is bike racing.

14. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think they finish the race before they switch to the game. It is already running on Eurosport 2, at least I have a stream which shows it. 0:0 atm.

15. Schalkoholic

Schalkoholic Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Siegen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Barca Schalke 1:0

16. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Couldn't watch the match. My little niece objected. :(

17. Alex Weber

Alex Weber Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Good win today for the senior squad. Disappointing loss for the U19s, but far from the end of the world.

Someone pointed out on twitter that this is our second best rückrunde in the Bundesliga era. With the remaining fixture list, we have a good shot at making it our best.

18. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm so elated we won today. I think I can only relax after we have finally secured third place.

19. Schalkoholic

Schalkoholic Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Siegen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Six points out four matches. Lets start in Stuttgart although Draxler is out with 5th yellow

btw good second half vers Frankfurt and a sensational goal from Farfan
    Keller did well a halftime

20. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can't be! Internet wisdom tells me Keller is a giant sleeping pill without any charisma whatsoever who can only place the team into artificial comas.

21. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw that. Let's go get second place. Dortmund has a much harder schedule. Bayern today, Mainz, Leverkusen, Hoffenheim, and Berlin. We have Stutgart, Gladbach, Frieburg, and Nurnberg. If we could win all 4 and finish with 70 points, all we'd need is a Dortmund loss against Bayern and one other Dortmund slip up.

22. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One game less to catch Dortmund. You can't really predict what will happen in 4 games, so there is still a chance that we might catch them but that was a big win for them today.

23. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Tough loss today but I felt Goretzka was a positive bright spot. He continued his strong play adapting to his role and displays savvy footwork and control. Szalai also did well coming off the bench.

Leroy Sane had a promising debut. He appeared a bit nervous at first, but he quickly become an active player on the ball. He showed some nice plays in the box, and also helped out defensively. Would like to see more of what he can do with more playing time.

24. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed with all of this. Obasi and Hoogland had bad games, but that's not super surprising.

A win against Gladbach will be really nice next week. Getting Draxler back will be nice.

25. Schalkoholic

Schalkoholic Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Siegen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    They only play when 11 others are out so dont be rude to them :)