2013/2014 Season Thread [poll]

Discussion in 'FC Schalke 04' started by LongDuckDong, Jul 17, 2013.

?

Season thread name?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2013.
  1. Come Kell-er high water!

20.0%
  2. From Keller to Top!

60.0%
  3. Keller der Hersteller (of wins)

20.0%
  4. Other, write-in

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread for general discussion.

Once we decide on a name, we can have the thread title changed. Write-ins encouraged!

2. Alex Weber

Alex Weber Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    I'm not exactly sure how to start a thread, but looking around at other clubs, we should have a Youth Teams thread, a Transfer thread, and maybe a Photo thread if any of us go to matches.

3. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted "From Keller to Top", but being in the thread title has not exactly been good luck for the last two trainers!

4. Alex Weber

Alex Weber Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Well, this is sports, so we should honor sporting tradition by being as superstitious as possible.

LongDuckDong repped this.
  5. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm killer at things like these, give me a day or two to see what I can come up with

6. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have at it. My suggestions are pretty so-so. We could use some creativity.

Transfer thread seems unnecessary at this point. There shouldn't be too much activity. We can start up a winter transfer thread for wild speculation when the summer window is closed ;)

I can start a photo thread. I'm not sure if any of us go to games regularly. I certainly don't; it'd be one expensive trip to the stadium for me. :D

7. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Should be something about how following Schalke is worse for your heart and nerves than letting Helen Keller drive, if you do it right you've got the self-deprecation that people love mixed a with a slightly offensive play on your coach's name.

8. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think fans of other clubs around here have the slightly (and more than slightly) offensive market cornered.

9. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I may hate the club, but I do like the title Bayern fans came up with for their transfer thread, that is very clever, especially in light of the Thiago deal.

10. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we shouldn't start a bunch of threads in the beginning. We can do it when we need them. There are still only a few people who post here, I dont think splitting discussions up too much is a good idea. That way we may end with a bunch of dead threads with a post a week each.

Who is Helen Keller?

11. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Would be the final stone for our transfer season, I guess. Can't believe anything will happen before Papa rejoins the regular team training which doesn't look all that imminent.

At the moment I'd be glad for any money we can get for him. I'm getting Mpenza vibes.

13. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree...what we have now is a worst case scenario where he is neither generating a transfer fee nor training with the club.

14. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schalke play Besiktas at 12 noon eastern time. There should be some streams somewhere.

15. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do watch Schalke of the German WNT? Mmh. Could watch the NT in HD without a crappy stream. That's not to shabby an advantage!

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're a real fan, you watch both ;)

17. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm leaning towards the WNT. It is at least a competitive match. I don't really care about friendlies.

The only reason I'm still thinking about it, is the bad quality of women's soccer. At least the few matches I saw.

18. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree the quality lacks with womens soccer. I still watch quite a bit when it comes to big tournaments. Megan Rapinoe is one of my all time favorite (male or female) players. Best player in the world, at least in her generation.

19. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hardly ever watch womens football. The big tournies are the only time I even consider it. Meh, what a first half.

Came back to the computer to watch the Schalke friendly but the stream died. If anything it should have died earlier...

20. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was really hoping that I assessed Keller's coaching abilities wrongly last season but this pre-season match against Besiktas looked very disappointing on a tactical level...

Let's hope this was just a fluke.

However I'd recommend keeping "Keller" out of the thread title. Wouldn't be surprised to see him gone sooner rather than later. :cautious:

21. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Keller trying out something new with the Szalai + Hunter combo? I can't see us going into the season like this, but almost every pre-season match has had this combo up front.

22. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hardly watched 10mins of the Besikats game so I can't comment on it but Szalai wrote in his facebook "column" that they had a very active and full training session Sunday morning.

Reports of the match are also somewhat mixed. I read a lot of fans who weren't enamored with the way the team played but the press articles and Keller sounded pretty pleased.

Guess the 4-4-2 is one of the big worries for fans at the moment, me included. :)

I hope it is just a tactical alternative Keller wants to have when the need arises. It may also be to give our strikers more playing time so that they are all three on a decent level when the season comes along. The team itself is clearly build for a 4-5-1 or something like that.

23. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Team Newstäder and discussion thread

LongDuckDong repped this.
  24. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't watch the first half, but the second half looked good. 2-0 win was the final result.