2013/2014 Season Predictions: How biased can we get?

Discussion in 'FC Schalke 04' started by LongDuckDong, Jul 17, 2013.

?

Where will we finish?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2013.
  1. First - Champions!

9.1%
  2. Second - Runner up

9.1%
  3. Third - Champions League, here we come

45.5%
  4. Fourth - CL Qualification....again

27.3%
  5. 5th or 6th - Europa League

9.1%
  6. 7th - Europe? Just barely?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 8th through 12th - Mid table and bitter disapointment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 13th through 16th - Relegation warriors and riots in the streets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Predict our position and our point total. Predictions for other teams encouraged if you're feeling adventurous.

Not allowed to predict automatic relegation - ;)

2. Alex Weber

Alex Weber Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Champions, obviously.

I think I wait until the last game of preseason is behind us. I need to see these guys play together before I predict.

3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My prediction is third in the Bundesliga, closely nipping at BVB's heels. BTW, congratulations on the new subforum.

4. Huckeye

Huckeye Member+

St Pauli
    May 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I feel the same, its a strong squad, but also very young and the GK situation might be another issue. I think 3rd and QFs of the CL is doable.

Dhajj repped this.
  5. Alex Weber

Alex Weber Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Yes, the goal keeping issue. That, and the winning mentality {mild sarcasm} ;)

6. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And then there's the fact that Schalke just can't help but do Schalke things.

7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was making fun of the common line "winning mentality" that some Schalke fans say is missing. I think a lot of the posters here of the opinion that "winning mentality" is just a sad excuse for so-so players.

But yeah, decision making at the executive level hasn't been the best, although Heldt has definitely been better

8. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know, but even if the players all exceed expectations and those young players greatness is able to replace the so-so players, eventually something super-schalke will happen. It is fate.

9. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like our transfers but I don't feel like this squad is better than last years which makes me somewhat sceptical of the season.

Third or fourth place should still be possible.

10. Huckeye

Huckeye Member+

St Pauli
    May 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think the squad is better than 'Kusen. The only thing they have that imo better than Schalke is Leno and Bender. Another season and year to gel should get you top 3.

11. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not saying that Leverkusen has a better squad than we have.

My impression is that all of our four new players are essentially depth signings, at least for this season. Depth is valuable but it doesn't strengthen the top of the team.

I would have been ecstatic if we had signd a player of similar quality as Szalai for fullback or dmid. That would have helped us immediately.

12. Huckeye

Huckeye Member+

St Pauli
    May 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fair, but depth can push the starters to play better, for fear of losing their spot. Just a thought. Plus covers for injuries, so it could lessen the blow were something happen to anyone in the first team.

13. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, depth generally plays meaningful minutes at some point. Instead of Hoger filling in, we'll have Goretzka. Instead of Marica, we'll have Szalai. These little things can make a big difference.

14. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Matip, Draxler, Kolasinac are still very young and will be a season older. I think this makes a difference too. Neustaedter now settled in his new club and he is also young and improving.

15. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes that is all true. But even with these scenarios only Szalai looks like a real improvement over Marica. He is a really, really big improvement over Marica. Seriously!

Goretzka might have far more talent than Höger but I'm not sure how much you can expect for an 18 year old in his second professional season. Don't think he will much of an upgrade yet.

I doubt Clemens comes close to Holtby or Raffael (or Afellay when he played).

I don't think Santana will displace either Höwedes or Matip. He will basically replace Metzelder as the third CB, if Papa leaves or continues to be injured, or fourth if Papa returns.

If the team improves, I expect the improvements will come in large part from different points, f.e. Neustädter regaining and keeping his form from the first three month or Huntelaar edgeing back to his 2011/12 form or Draxler making the next step turning him into a real playmaker etc.

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bastos played a lot last year, and I think Celmens is better. Comparing Clemens to Holtby and Raffael doesn't really make sense to me. They're completely different types of players.

Speaking of which, who plays as a #10 if Draxler gets injured? Meyer?

17. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, Clemens plays a different role than Raffael or Holtby but he is part of our attacking midfield.

Draxler was moved to the wings whenever Raffael or Holtby played. Farfan and Draxler will be the mainstays of our attacking midfield, like last year, while the third spot is open.

That's why I compared Clemens to Raffael and Holtby. He will be, in the best case, the third player of the attacking line.

Yes, Heldt said Meyer would be the first sub for Draxler. It is a risky move but you have to make room for your talents. They won't develop on the bench, at least not much.

LongDuckDong repped this.
  18. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Draxler's going to put up a really big year getting to spend his whole time playing off of Hunter or dropping deep to help the double pivot. That alone would improve the team, Hunter being healthy with a capable backup will improve the team. The developing teenagers, both whom grown and bought, will give you better options at positions that lacked them last year, which will improve the team. The central midfield was the one spot that could've used an upgrade, and you guys bout a kid who'll be a massive upgrade there in the not too distant future.

19. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just have this feeling it could be a surprising season for the CL spots. Schalke has the 3rd best squad and Leverkusen close behind, but I'm not convinced by either trainer. Hyppia will be out of his depth and Leverkusen lost two crucial players, Carvajal and Schurrle, and their replacements aren't as good. I also question if Kiessling can stay 100% healthy for back to back seasons.

For Schalke, the fans will turn on Keller very fast. The pressure will mount and that locker room of players is not the nicest. I think the only thing that kept things going off the deep end with Keller last year was the players realized Heldt would not fire Keller (because it would be embarrassing for Heldt), they were stuck with him and they wouldnt reach the CL unless they united behind him. This season that feeling doesn't exist. Recall last year the interviews players gave out of the Winter break. Pretty much saying it was an awful training, disorganized and alluded that the players felt Keller didn't know what he was doing. The highlights I've seen of Schalke's preseason have been ugly. Continued issues with goalkeeping and the defense. All those criticisms said, I'd still pick Schalke for 3rd if I had a gun to my head.

20. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this stuff about players having inflated egos and being impatient is outdated bull, IMO. It just as outdated as the other stuff that people attach to Schalke (kick ball, uggly, overspending for transfers). This locker room doesn't need psychological a genius to manage it. Hell, most of the starting 11 is former Schalke youth players, and they have some degree of built-in loyalty.

Jones and Farfan are a lot more mature than they used to be. They're head down, work hard guys. Bastos is too new to really have any influence on the locker room.

Keller will be fine, as long as he's actually a decent coach and gets results in the first half of the season. No locker room presence will force him out. He'll only get fired if he deserves it.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I actually think the firing of Stevens (while hasty on the surface) made sense last year. The guy refused to rotate the squad until the last match of the CL group stage. It was always the same 11 guys on the field. I really just don't like that style. Rotating players is an art, and Huub Stevens didn't get it. When you have a team that plays 40-46 matches a year, you need a coach that can rotate the squad.

21. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You can never rule out the sacking of a coach at Schalke, so far I'm with you. But everything else?

I really don't see how this team is more difficult than others. How do you come to that conclusion?

No, no player alluded that Keller's training was disorganized or that he didn't know what he was up to. NOBODY! It looked unfocused in the winter break because players told different stories about the objectives, f.e. conceding less goal, scoring more, etc. But even that stopped in February. If anything players praised Keller, and there were quite a few who said they would be glad if he stayed.

I can understand if somebody is still sceptical of Keller as coach but there is no need to spew this crap.

22. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way Lamprey, the reason we're so sensitive with this subject is that a lot of the "pressure" that has been put on Schalke over the years has been the result of regurgitated and sensationalist rumors and stories like this.

We have nothing against you; your opinions are certainly welcome, just be warned that stuff like this will be met with a hint of hostility. It's a sore spot for us. :D

23. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Meh, I didn't want to offend Lamprey. I also doubt that he takes it too seriously.

He basically wrote that our coach is incompetent. I doubt there are many football fans who take that quietly as long as their coach has even a crumpet of standing.

24. Klaus77

Klaus77 New Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    Nobody predicted #1? Wow, that's not very biased, is it?

25. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not offended at all and very valid arguments. I think Keller did a great job given the circumstances last season. He is a pretty good coach in my mind, but coaching Schalke is a tricky animal and I'm still skeptical he has that in him. If he has a good hindrunde my doubts will fade. His key is having a good start.

Schalke has a brilliant midfield and attacking force. I feel their defense is quite overrated though. Too many goals conceded and silly mistakes by the same players. Matip, Howedes, Papa, Uchida, Fuchs they are all still relatively young, but they haven't gone to the next level in my mind. Kolasinac was a revelation last year and him being a teenager its shocking how solid he was compared to the regulars that are commanding crazy bids from Man Utd and other huge clubs. Then you add in a very suspect goalkeeping situation and this feels like a flawed side. Now, is that flawed side good enough to take 3rd or even 2nd? Certainly. And the other teams around them probably have more glaring flaws.

Homa repped this.