2013-2014 Bundesliga Match Day 31: Borussia Dortmund v. 1. FSV Mainz 05 [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by footyfan1, Apr 17, 2014.

1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's start with pieces from Klopp's Thursday press conference.........

I tried to translate from this RuhrNachrichten article.

I'm really losing my Deutsch. Please correct me if I've screwed any of this up royally! Thanks!!!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Roman Weidenfeller will be out against Mainz on Saturday with adductor issues. Klopp said during the press conference that Roman already had these issues during the Wolfsburg match and they don’t seem to know everything about his issues just yet. Mitch will be between the sticks against Mainz on Saturday.

Klopp made a comment I can’t translate about how long it has been since we’ve been able to field a full lineup. The available players had recovery training yesterday and today. They will prepare for Mainz tomorrow.

Klopp on Gündogan: “Everything is better, but still not perfect. The stress of the highest levels requires perfect working order. He can use his situation to improve his training levels. Nothing has changed much. Things are just taking an unusually long time. When (If) he can (complete) normal training this season, others have to decide if this is good enough for a World Cup (place). Maybe there is a such thing as (great) early form which (would make him) useful for the World Cup. This would be desirable, but I cannot make a statement on it.”

Klopp on Bender and Schmelzer: “They are both in run training. When they can do this pain-free they can move up to the next level. (In this context) Schmelzer is already far ahead. The Cup Final is a month away and his (Schmelzer’s) availability looks good. With Manni (Bender) we have to wait (and see).”

Klopp on this weekend’s opponents: “I watched Mainz’ match against Bremen. Unfortunately, they are good. They want to confirm a spot in the Europa League as well. So, we have to expect “the worst” as far as their commitment (goes). I can be (proud?) of Mainz’ development. Mainz is an established Bundesliga club because the right people made many correct decisions. Thomas Tuchel is the best coaches. Thomas Tuchel could coach any club in the world.”

Vlad S. and Gundogan92 repped this.
  2. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We might lose points here, our players must be very tired after what they had to experience in the last few weeks - Hannover, Schalke, Stuttgart, Real, Wolfsburg, Real, Bayern, Wolfsburg, no rest, game every three days...

After this game our guys will finally get some well deserved rest. We were extremely worried about the season but they pulled through - 2nd place is still there, 3 points above Schalke. We ended our Champions League journey in style and we advanced to the Pokal final. I think we just couldnt ask for more, this has been a good season so far considering the circumstances.

I think we should play a slightly different line-up with Hofmann, Reus and Miki in midfield, with Sahin and Kehl behind them and Grosskreutz on the right. Piszczek is waaay out of form and he needs time to recover. I believe we will see the best version of Piszczek again but not this season, he will be back to his best after the summer break.

My line-up:
    Langerak - Grosskreutz, Sokratis, Hummels, Durm - Kehl, Sahin - Hofmann, Reus, Mkhitaryan - Lewandowski

We are 3 points above Schalke, they play Stuttgart away and I think this will be their toughest fixture from the ones remaining. They might lose two or three points there. If we win tomorrow then we will most likely secure the second place in the table.

However I think it won't be easy for us, We can drop points tomorrow because Mainz play good football, we can't underestimate them.

I'll go for 2-1, we had enough luck with those clean sheets lately. ;p

footyfan1 and Vlad S. repped this.
  3. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Heard Kehl is a doubt. Jojic for Kehl? Or Kirch?

Possibly

Bluecrux repped this.
  4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the information below is from the BVB Website.

This information is NOT OFFICIAL!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

German Bundesliga Match Day 31
    BORUSSIA DORTMUND – 1. FSV MAINZ 05

Saturday, April 19, 2014, 3:30 PM CET (Westfalenstadion, Dortmund)

Projected Borussia Dortmund Starting Lineup: Langerak – Piszczek, Sokratis, Hummels, Durm – Sahin, Kirch – Hofmann, Reus, Mkhitaryan – Lewandowski

Projected Borussia Dortmund Substitutes Bench: Alomerovic – Kehl, Friedrich, Jojic, Grosskreutz, Aubameyang, Ducksch, Schieber

Questionable For Borussia Dortmund: None

Out For Borussia Dortmund: Weidenfeller (adductor issues), Blaszczykowski (recovering from torn ACL), Subotic (recovering from MCL and ACL surgery), Gündogan, Bender, Schmelzer (all in fitness training)

[​IMG]

Projected 1. FSV Mainz 05 Starting Lineup: Karius - Pospech, Bell, Noveski, Junior Diaz - Geis - Moritz, Soto - Malli - Okazaki, Choupo-Moting

Projected 1. FSV Mainz 05 Substitutes Bench: Kresic – Bungert, Fathi, Koch, Svensson, Koo, Nedelev, Saller, Zimling, Parker, Polter

Questionable for 1. FSV Mainz 05: Unknown

Out For 1. FSV Mainz 05: Park (toe inflammation), Baumgartlinger & Schahin (not match fit), Müller (recovering from meniscus surgery)

Referee: Markus Schmidt

[​IMG]
    40 year old referee Markus Schmidt will be in charge of a Bundesliga match for the 112th time in his career. It will be the eighth Bundesliga match Schmidt will supervise involving Borussia Dortmund. Borussia Dortmund’s record under Schmidt’s supervision is very good with five victories, one draw and one defeat. However, the draw (2-2 at Freiburg on April 30, 2005) and the defeat (2-0 at Hannover on December 3, 2005) came in Schmidt’s first two times in charge of BVB Bundesliga matches. BVB has won five consecutive matches under Schmidt’s supervision. Schmidt was the referee for Borussia Dortmund’s 5-0 demolition of SC Freiburg earlier this season.

On the other hand, Schmidt has called a total of 17 1st Bundesliga and 2nd Bundesliga matches involving Mainz. Schmidt has supervised a Mainz match just one time in the current season. This was Mainz’s goalless draw at home hosting Gladbach on December 14, 2013. Mainz’s overall record under Schmidt’s supervision is six victories, nine draws and two defeats. Three of Mainz’s six victories under Schmidt’s supervision came in the 2nd Bundesliga. Mainz’s last Bundesliga victory under Schmidt’s supervision came three matches under Schmidt’s supervision ago. Mainz took a 3-1 decision at home against SC Freiburg on January 29, 2012. However, it must be noted that Mainz’s other two matches in this group under Schmidt’s supervision were both at Munich. Mainz managed to come out of the first with a goalless draw back on April 14, 2012. Bayern won the next time under Schmidt’s supervision 3-1 on September 15, 2012.

Sideline Assistants: Wolfgang Walz & Kai Voss – Fourth Official: Bibiana Steinhaus

Nearing Yellow Card Suspension:

Borussia Dortmund: Hummels, Sokratis, Sahin

1. FSV Mainz 05: Pospech, Geis, Zimling

Projected Spectator Situation: Once again, Westfalenstadion is sold out. 80,645 (and perhaps a few more) will be in the stadium for this battle.

[​IMG]

Vlad S. repped this.
  5. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mainz has not beaten Borussia Dortmund since April 10, 2010. Borussia Dortmund has won five consecutive matches against Mainz since the controversial 1-1 draw between the two clubs at Westfalenstadion on March 19, 2011.

For those who don't remember this, Mainz scored their tying goal while Neven Subotic was down on the pitch with an obvious injury. It was an especially bitter memory for me as at that time, it was my last match at Westfalenstadion before returning to the USA for work.

I lost a bit of respect for Tuchel and Mainz after that match. But I also realized players have to play until they hear the whistle. You can't expect your opponents show sportsmanship when important points are on the line.

At least for me, I got back for BVB's 5-0 demolition of Gladbach last season..........

6. Gundogan92

Gundogan92 Member+

Apr 13, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

For those who want to relive that moment ;)

7. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    jojic sahin and kirch is starting

8. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    So Jojic and Kirch scored.

I say that because Jojic hits it on the volley, and deflects on Kirch's hand sending the ball the other way behind the keeper and into the net.

Now the ref allows this goal too surprisingly.

Bluecrux repped this.
  9. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    1-1 lucky deflection of Hummels

Bluecrux repped this.
  10. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    2-1 Sahin robs the ball center of the pitch, sends a beauty through ball to Miki, who sends it sideways to Lewy who has it too easy to score.

Bluecrux repped this.
  11. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Jojic makes a lot of mistakes... but there is something about the way he plays that makes me think he has great talent. Im really enjoying watching him play, he's also very disciplined tactically from what Ive seen, he covered for Piszczek on couple ocassions on the right back, really knows what to do defensively.

We're playing better than I expected us to. I hope we hold on to the result.

12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's only natural that Jojic us not yet refined enough in his game to avoid mistakes. But it seems he has the workrate and talent to succeed at BVB. I look forward to monitoring his development.

13. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    SAHIN you little sh*t, that backpass gifts Mainz the equalizer.

Bluecrux repped this.
  14. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Reus Free kick

Piszczu connects

3-2

Bluecrux repped this.
  15. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mainz unable to cope with Lewa.....mauling unnoticed by ref..

16. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Hey now, lets not have that here please.

Very good game, completely unexpected if you ask me. I was sure we were going to look tired and slow but nothing like that happened. We looked very fresh and played really well. There were moments in which we played our best passing football.

Fully deserved win, now we're keeping our fingers crossed for Stuttgart. If they make Schalke drop points we can be almost sure of 2nd place.

Vlad S. repped this.
  17. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Reus now involved in 42 of Dortmund's 40 competitive matches this season.

18. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Sorry I get emotional during matchday, sahin could have cost us the three points at that point in the game.
    I was frustrated with him because I thought he finally put the bad performances behind him and then he does that. Beauty pass to miki though for the second goal from him.

Err wat? o_O

Bluecrux repped this.
  19. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think he meant Reus is directly now involved in 42 goals(goals+assists) in 40 competitive matches for BvB this season...
    if his finishing was bit clinical in Nov-Feb time frame, he probably would have been beyond reach of anybody on terms of goals+assists and may be Dortmund would have stayed in Bundelsiga championship bit longer...

20. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Yeah, he was pretty disappointing from November to February. Very happy how he's turned his form around.

21. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Meant to say goals. Apologies :)

22. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thank you.

I think he Klopp didn't play him to the ground he have been even better but regardless. Those are player of the season worthy stats for a player whom most don't give enough credit to and continue to make narratives up about streakiness.

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Injured, wasn't he?

24. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Back in the CL! The mission continues.

25. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #25 Vlad S., Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    He made three egregious errors in that play.

1. You cannot tell your goalkeeper that you're passing to him in such situation - but rather expect the keeper to ask for the ball. Weidenfeller would have ripped his head off for this :)
    2. You cannot point to where you intend to pass with the opponent so close to where you intend to pass. Unless you're trolling him.
    3. The pass itself was lame.

Other than that brain fart he was very good in this match.

Reus yet again hands-down MOTM. What an immense talent. Keeping him in the squad past next season should be top priority this summer.

Miki played AM in first half and DM in second. He was great throughout, aside from the clear scoring chance he wasted. Will be huge for BVB next season.

Kirch, Durm, Jojic were all solid and all three are incredible depth for next season, although admittedly I don't want to see Schmeltzer in LB anymore, but do understand he will regain his starting spot and have to prove his worth to stay there.

I love Sokratis' transitional play. While Hummels is great at intercepting and quickly passing the ball (pure gold DM quality!), Sokratis lobs and dribbles the ball out of danger with stunning regularity and counters at speed. More pressure on Subotic = better defense all around.

Overall yet another immense match for BVB and it's great to see them enjoy themselves on the pitch. Makes me sad to remember those dreary matches every weekend with pointless lobbed balls into the penalty area, misplaced runs and passes, lack of direction and creativity, with Lewa the only notable player. This team now oozes with creativity, guile, exuberance, and most of all teamwork and unity. Absolute treat to watch, and leaves so much to look forward to next season, especially considering team regulars set to return and Klopp's incredible tactical puberty.

Gundogan92 repped this.