2013-2014 Bundesliga Match Day 20 - SV Werder Bremen v Borussia Dortmund [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by footyfan1, Feb 6, 2014.

1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2013-2014 Bundesliga Match Day 20

[​IMG]
    Werder Bremen

versus

[​IMG]
    Borussia Dortmund

[​IMG]
    Saturday, February 8, 2014, Weserstadion, Bremen – Kickoff: 3:30 PM CET

Saturday’s match will see the Bundesliga’s 12th place team hosting the 3rd place team. Werder Bremen and their guests, Borussia Dortmund are separated by 16 points.

Borussia Dortmund won the first meeting of the season between these clubs on the season’s third match day at Dortmund by a 1-0 score.

The Borussia Dortmund website reports that BVB has beaten Werder Bremen more than any other Bundesliga club since Jürgen Klopp took command. BVB has beaten Werder Bremen in the Bundesliga 8 of 11 times under Klopp. And personally, I don’t count Werder’s last "victory" in the series. This was on the penultimate Saturday of the 2010-2011 season. BVB was merely coasting toward the title celebration the following weekend at Dortmund. The last time Werder beat BVB in the Bundesliga before the previously mentioned match we handed to them was back March 1, 2008. On this date, Werder Bremen took a 2-0 decision at Weserstadion.

Looking at the other side of the story, historically, BVB has lost more matches in Bremen than at any other Bundesliga club. However, in the last two trips to Bremen, BVB has come away with 2-0 and 5-0 victories. The 5-0 victory at the start of the second half of last season was BVB’s biggest victory at Bremen.

PERSONNEL

Werder Bremen is expected to put new signing Ludovic Obraniak directly into the starting lineup.

Of course, newly injured BVB center back Mats Hummels will miss the match after being injured in a test match against 2nd Bundesliga club Fortuna Düsseldorf earlier in the week. There were concerns that BVB’s other experienced center back, Sokratis would miss this match not because of a minor injury he suffered in the same match, but because Sokratis’ wife was expecting their first child around this time. I am happy to report that Sokratis’ daughter joined us in this world on Wednesday. As one of the guys who posts elsewhere said, “The baby girl probably knew daddy needed to be with his teammates!” LOL!!

The pre-match projections are interesting. Both the BVB website and kicker include Sven Bender in the starting lineup at center back, with Sebastian Kehl manning Bender’s midfield spot alongside Nuri Sahin. The BVB website’s projections, which I have included below, speculate that Grosskreutz will once again start at right back with Piszczek on the bench. kicker has Piszczek starting with Grosskreutz on the bench.

I would love to see Piszczek starting at right back with Grosskreutz at left back and Schmelzer on the bench. But I know this will never happen.........

I guess we’ll see what Jürgen Klopp decides on Saturday.

PROJECTED LINEUPS AND OTHER INFO

Werder Bremen Projected Starting Lineup: Wolf – Gebre Selassie, Prödl, Caldirola, Schmitz – F. Kroos (Junuzovic), Makiadi – Elia, Hunt, Obraniak – Petersen

Werder Bremen Projected Substitutes Bench: Mielitz (GK) – Lukimya, Ignjovski, Bargfrede, Aycicek, di Santo, Yildirim, Kobylanski

Questionable For Werder Bremen: Unknown

Out For Werder Bremen: Garcia (suspension), Fritz, Ekici (not match fit)

[​IMG]

Borussia Dortmund Projected Starting Lineup: Weidenfeller – Grosskreutz, Bender, Sokratis, Schmelzer –Sahin, Kehl –Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan, Reus – Lewandowski

Borussia Dortmund Projected Substitutes Bench: Langerak (GK) – Piszczek, Kirch, Sarr, Friedrich, Jojic, Hofmann, Ducksch, Schieber

Questionable For Borussia Dortmund: No One

Out For Borussia Dortmund: Hummels (foot issues), Blaszczykowski, Subotic (both recovering from knee surgery), Gündogan (fitness training), Durm (thigh issues)

Referee: Günter Perl

[​IMG]
    Sideline Assistants: Schalk & Emmer – 4th Official: Michael Weiner

Saturday’s match will be the 19th time referee Günter Perl has been in charge of a Bundesliga match involving Borussia Dortmund. It will be the first time Perl has been in charge of a BVB match in the current season. Perl was in charge of the match BVB handed over to Bremen on that penultimate Saturday of the 2010-2011 season. BVB’s record under Perl’s supervision is positive at 8 victories, 5 draws and 5 defeats. However, BVB has not won any of their last 3 matches under Perl’s supervision. Perl was in charge for last season’s draws at Wolfsburg and Gladbach and for last season’s 3-2 defeat at HSV. BVB’s last victory under Perl’s supervision was the fourth match back. That was a 1-0 victory at Bayer Leverkusen on February 11, 2012.

Close To Yellow Card Suspension: Caldirola, F. Kroos – Reus, Mkhitaryan

Projected Spectator Status: 42,100 – Weserstadion is sold out.

[​IMG]

2. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perl is now shown on the BVB website as the match day ref.

3. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bender as cb again.... f u klopp. Rather see sarr there and bender back at no6

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 footyfan1, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

Remember, this is a projected lineup. It isn't official. Even from the BVB website.

However, if he does put Bender back at CB, I agree with you.

5. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obraniak and Hunt - Werder To Build On New Attacking Midfield Duo

Werder Bremen wants to surprise this weekend’s opponents, Borussia Dortmund, with a new creative midfield combination.

Playmaker Aaron Hunt, who missed Bremen’s 3-1 defeat at Augsburg last week, has recovered from his knee issues. He will be paired with new signing Ludovic Obraniak to boost the Bremen offense. The Polish international will be making his Bundesliga debut.

Bremen coach Robin Dutt said on Thursday, “I am completely convinced Aaron Hunt will be available (to play).” This is also true of Obraniak, who quickly acclimated to his new teammates in his first training session. “He found his way very quickly”, the Werder coach said, praising the 29-year old Obraniak. Obraniak can be used at multiple offensive midfield positions.

Dutt warned against putting all hopes in the former Girondins Bordeaux player, stating, “Obraniak is not a savior. He is a very good, experienced player. He will be even more valuable playing alongside Aaron”, said the coach. Who will play left back for Werder is still unclear.

Click here for this full article in German.

6. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I would start Piszczu here he probably trained against Obraniak in the NT since he played Left winger, although I don't know if werder would play him there.

I know grosskreutz works hard but what does lukasz have to do for klopp to realize he'd be better off with piszcu at rb. Wish Durm would start this one, schmelly has been awful recently

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree this would be a smart move. Let's see if Klopp does something like it.

I don't think he has to "do" anything besides out-perform KG in training. At least I hope so.......

Durm is out of the lineup through injury. He has thigh issues.

8. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    If it was based on how much effort a player puts in training then Kevin would probably be an undisputed starter here. Well if he can't beat out him in training then he shouldn't be starting then, but I would be wondering if he's beating out Schmelly in training. Not that I really mind KG playing, he's done decently well so far at RB, it would be nice for Piszczek to actually get some playing time. We've had an easy return after winter break with Braunschweig, Augsburg and Werder so I expected him to start at least once.

Whoops didn't catch that injury, nothing serious I presume considering I didn't see didn't see it elsewhere.

9. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know if it comes down to this. That was just my "BVB Company Line Guess." I really feel Klopp just can't imagine playing without KG right now. However, Klopp also doesn't want to move anyone else to allow KG to play.

But again, that's just my opinion......

I don't think KG gets this chance. I think Klopp is just in love with Schmelzer. Why? I don't know. Maybe it is the girly hair. But it seems Klopp sees something in Schmelzer many of us do not. Again, just my opinion.....

Especially seeing that Klopp played Piszczek before the break. Yes, it was out of necessity, but LP played.

Dude. If you look at the first posting of this thread, I show Durm in the "Out For Borussia Dortmund" category. As far as your not having heard about it, it depends on where you get your BVB news. Durm isn't a player who has the status of a Hummels, a Reus or a Kehl. It will not always get reported when he gets injured. Anyhow, I believe Durm got injured with BVB II. Right before a match.

10. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I skimmed through the injury section since I didn't hear of any new injuries and it was a list so I assumed Hummels, Gundogan, Subotic, I didn't noticed Durm immediately because as I mentioned before I skimmed through the injury list.

11. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, it's cool. I wasn't trying to say anything about you! :D

12. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I don't expect Dutt to field Schmitz, but Ignjovski as LB. But both have a miss match vs. Aubameyang.
    Maybe Obraniak can give him some support, but he first has to try to fit into a team full of bad players without
    a good strategy. The coming two matches could be the last ones for Dutt in Bremen.

But enough of my bad mood, lets hope for an interesting match. Cheers, "EE"

footyfan1 and chewz repped this.
  13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Always good to see you EE!!

Dude, our form is nowhere near where we want it. If there's any time you guys can get one off us, it is now.

We've got guys who couldn't hit the ocean if they fell out of a boat right now!
    (read: Marco Reus & Henrik Mkhitaryan)

14. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Good luck and hopes for a good match, and a good debut for your new player, but not too good :D

Pre-match presser from Klopp
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/15/germ...-want-to-fight-us-well-beat-them?ICID=HP_BN_2

footyfan1 repped this.
  15. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    [​IMG]

+ for Piszczek
    - for Friedrich

Jojic on the bench.

16. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    rather have friedrich there than bender playin out of position

17. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  18. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    BORUSSIA DORTMUND: Weidenfeller, Piszczek, Friedrich, Sokratis, Schmelzer, Bender, Sahin, Aubameyang, Mkhitaryan, Reus, Lewandowski.

WERDER BREMEN: Wolf, Gebre Selassie, Prodl, Lukimya, Caldirola, Bargfrede, Junuzovic, Elia, Hunt, Obraniak, Di Santo.

Match is starting

19. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Freidrich looks like he could screw up when he's pressed.

20. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
  21. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Much rather have him score against Zenit, but GOAL MIKI!

22. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    Good, it's been a while.

23. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Finally Miki, finally. That should help him.

24. heynckes' hanging leftnut

Feb 27, 2013
    Is it live on bvbtotal?

25. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    It should be there after the game.