2013/16 Yuya Kubo @ BSC Young Boys (SUI)

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by Whispered11, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    scores in a friendly
    821739594496385024 is not a valid tweet id

seolseol repped this.
  2. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He'll sign with Gent in a few days very soon.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  3. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Step forward?

4. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, purely on "team prestige" there's not much difference.
    Yes, Gent won the league last year or the year before (can't remember) and now they are also in the last 16 in Europa League. Their coach is also well-known and was wanted by Wolfsburg.
    But overall Young Boys (almost) always qualified for European competitions while Gent is gonna have to have a very strong second part of the season to do that. And in general, the competition between clubs in the belgian league is much more fluid.
    However, the belgian league is better than the swiss one which is also good for him.
    The real question is if he will be able to adapt to the team's 3-4-3.
    Sometimes you need a change anyway to pull out new motivations for a player... also he'll be happy to not play on a synthetic pitch anymore lol

Samurai Warrior and Radu Razvan repped this.
  5. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kind of a surpise

6. Chris95

Chris95 Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Club:
    BSC Young Boys Bern
    #481 Chris95, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    http://www.bernerzeitung.ch/sport/fussball/belgier-wollen-yuya-kubo/story/15072634

Local newspaper article about him from today. According to them the transfer is a win-win situation.

YB has too many players and our "GM" said that players will be sold if the transfer fee is high enough and if the loss of the player doesn't hurt the team too much.

For Kubo it's a good transfer because the league is kinda on the rise apparently and Gent is by no means worse than YB.

They also mention the pretty funny/weird story about him joining us:
    He was signed by our old "GM" who never wanted him to actually play for us. He just wanted to sell him directly after a few seasons. No fans and pretty much no one at the club in general knew about this.
    When our new "GM" took over he had no idea who Kubo was when his agent contacted him.

Edit: fix'd

Samurai Warrior and seolseol repped this.
  7. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Gent, not Genk ;).
    Anyway, the transfer is shaping up to be Gent's most expensive in the club history and is appropriate to the player's value, so it's hard for YB to refuse.
    The "old GM" story from what I've read during the years has a mix of truth and speculations. I wouldn't read too much into it.

8. Chris95

Chris95 Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Club:
    BSC Young Boys Bern
    Oh yeah my bad.

At least the part that he wasn't supposed to play for YB is true from what I heard. But that's actually not extremely unusual. I think the part about Bickel learning about it from Kubo's agent is the controversial bit.

Anyway, I'm pretty sad he leaves. I knew it would happen soon but I kinda expected him to join a midtable Bundesliga or Serie A club. Frankfurt was already rumoured in summer iirc.

Samurai Warrior, Majster2 and seolseol repped this.
  9. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Thanks for your excellent contributions to this thread throughout the years.

Samurai Warrior and Chris95 repped this.
  10. Chris95

Chris95 Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Club:
    BSC Young Boys Bern
    Thank you!

I definitely want to keep track of his future development.

He was already well liked after his first game here (brace against Thun in the derby).
    But the highlight was his brace + penalty against Donetzk this season especially under those circumstances. (After not allowing him to play at the Olympics)

I don't really doubt he'll be succesful at Gent, especially if he manages to improve his finishing just a slight bit.

11. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They have 7 strikers that has been playing this season. 2 of them only 1 game though. On of them is swedish striker Kujovic wich I like and think is really good but the manager does not rate him for shite, he even said it out in the media. Scored 28 goals in 38 games in Allsvenskan last two seasons.

So, tough competition. Just don't hope they lose the spot for last round in the league. We all know since Kawashimas days their league system is a little bit weird.

12. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'd rather discuss this in the new thread but, to since it's not official yet I'll answer you at the moment: the strikers in Gent are Perbet, Bjedov (new), Coulibaly and Kujovic. But with Perbet who drops deep being the only exception they are all towers and that's how Gent plays. This means that most of the time Yuya won't likely play as the striker in their 3-4-3, he'll be a winger (not really wide).

I'm not sure who were the other 3 players you had in mind but Simon is the "main" left winger, Kalu is a new right winger, Miličević has been the right winger for a while but he's not the quick\agile type and in the last match he was moved into MF. Then there is Matton who's pretty much the reserve.
    Keep in mind again that Gent is splashing serious money on Yuya. I wouldn't worry about the competition at least for the remaining 6 months. Then it will depend on how well he has done.

seolseol and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much is "serious money"?

14. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    comparatively to the club size, clearly. We're talking about a club whose record spending is 3 million (they spent it just recently) and the second is around 1,5 mln. They're basically using the champions league money. So we are a little below or above that first sum.

Samurai Warrior and naopon repped this.
  15. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    Regarding whether Belgium and Gent would be a move up for Kubo, UEFA 5 ranking has Belgium at 9th (Switzerland is 12th) and in the clubs ranking Gent at 38th (Young Boys are 55th).

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  16. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They were listed as attackers. My bad. Still if they are winger or midfielders is not a easy group to take a spot.

17. Chris95

Chris95 Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Club:
    BSC Young Boys Bern