(2013.10.11) International Friendly: Serbia x Japan [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by OneiroPhobia, Oct 7, 2013.

1. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    It would have been better if you didn't say that... :speechless: Next time will be Netherlands then Belgium... :cautious:

s7kru repped this.
  2. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Then who do you suggest to replace Endo?

3. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Honestly I don't know how anyone can blame Zac. Japan had several clear chances to score against Serbia and didn't take them. Then Japan lets Serbia score despite having numbers back in defense. We've seen them repeat this over and over again. There is not much more Zac could do other than playing defender and attacker himself.

4. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    There's your answer!

5. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    But in football who scores more goals wins. We may have "plenty of offensive creativity" but matches like the last one or the one against Bulgaria show that we also have trouble scoring goals if Kagawa or Okazaki aren't on point.

Right, he should've told Hosogai to not miss the pass, Endo to not miss the trap and Uchida to not miss the man.
    It's not like we got bombarded at the back

6. marten48

marten48 Member

Jun 2, 2012
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's the law of diminishing returns. A defensive player is much more valuable to us than an equivalent offensive player because we're deficient on defense.
    Some on this board don't like Hosogai but he's looked really good the few times I've seen him play in the Bundesliga. He's been highly rated so far for Hertha BSC, and his coach loves him. Just about anyone would represent a defensive upgrade over Endo.

Samurai Warrior and seolseol repped this.
  7. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If what Matsu wrote is correct, Endo played with an injury. Which shows just how far down the next people are below Endo.

Also Kakitani's been crap several games in a row. Osako or Toyoda should get a go.

8. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    #208 Gordon1995, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    I think Osako is more suited to play the lone striker as his hold up play is better. Kakitani should not be blamed though, not much service was provided to him in the game but still he struggles to keep possession of the ball everywtime he Is placed under pressure by the defenders in the penalty box.

Yoshida, Endo and Konno should be replaced and Uchida and Hosogai surprisingly performs badly for the JNT even though they are doing well for their clubs. I think Zac should change the formation to take advantage of the midfield depth. We do have offensive creativity and we are stacked in the ACM and left wing position.

9. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So that we may finally get our nice 0-0 ? Hmm...

Same Hosogai who was just given 40' and costed us a goal? (note: I do rate him well, but at least watch the matches ? Whoopsie...)

10. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though Zac might eventually have to ax an attacker in favor of an extra central mid (a la WC2010), I think it's too soon. At least run through the November friendlies and analyze the group stage draw (December) first - who you draw in particular from the CONMEBOL/CAF and UEFA pots makes a big difference.

I would try 3 CMFs against either Belgium or Holland, perhaps even in conjunction with 3 CBs (i.e. Inter's 3-5-2) and see if that confers any defensive stability without rendering the possession game impotent. You could try Hosogai or Yamaguchi, or alternatively kick Konno up to defensive mid while pairing Yoshida with Morishige in the back. If you think an extra man in midfield is sufficient without adding a particularly defensive player, Kiyotake might even work as the right CMF.

So who misses out in this case? Okazaki and Kakitani (+ a few wild cards) might be fighting for a starting place, possibly on the right.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  11. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    What are you guys' thoughts on Yamaguchi as one of the
    What are your or anybodys' thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of Yamaguchi? Do you think he would work in the formation you just pointed out here? On a side note, I would replace Okazaki with Kakitani.

12. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Hey 3-5-2 is not Inter stuff, he's 2002 Troussier lineup ;D

13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    4 years later, same resort to an emergency tactic. I thought the point of hiring a renowned foreign coach would be to go forward, not encounter the same problems again.

Samurai Warrior, OneiroPhobia and Dax repped this.
  15. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I doubted Okada, I really did but it turned out pretty good at the WC 2010 with a wierd tactical line up. One ball one ball out Japan could quickly reached the quarterfinals. Now it's the same crisis but I doubt Zac can do it. Funny thing is if it is the players or the coach to blame, perhaps a mix!?..

16. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    If it means nearly reach the quarterfinals and win 2 match and 1 draw with only 1 defeat and 2 goals taken 1 by pk, let's hope Zac will have a preWC disastrous as the one Okada had.

17. marten48

marten48 Member

Jun 2, 2012
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Better to draw 0-0 than to lose 1-2 or 2-3 or what have you.
    Nope, I didn't watch the match. Was asked a question, and tried to answer it.

18. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    tomorrow is Belarus vs Japan, is anyone gonna start one?

19. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The draw will play a big part anyway... last time we didn't have any south american side in our group for example and that was great. I would pay to have a CONCACAF member or an african one again and a 2nd european again (greece pls? :D ).
    Not that it would mean easy pass, at all