2012 (yes, 12!) men's soccer head coaching vacancies

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  2. socceramerica1

Feb 1, 2007
    Who is off to a bad start?
    Who will be losing their job this season?

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Besides GW, we know App State, sadly, has a job opening because their coach died. Whether they permanently promote their interim remains to be seen.

I don't know about a hot-seat, but some old-timers have to be getting close to retirement. I'm talking about dinosaurs like Ed Kelly at BC and San Diego's Seamus McFadden and Seton Hall's Manny Schellscheidt (who has gotta be pushing 70).

4. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Hot seat...Currier, the Dayton coach. 7-8-3 last season, 1-6-0 so far this season, with none of the losses being particularly competitive, including a most recent embarassing OT loss to UWGB, who were down a man for the last 60 minutes, with Dayton managing to get off only 5 shots over that period.

5. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    ???? Had a 14 win season in 2009 and 15 win season in 2008 including NCAA Tournament and A10 Championship. Not sure one bad season gets someone fired. Not even close to being on the hot seat.

6. NikevAdidas

NikevAdidas New Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Stanford and USF (San Fran) have to be two West Coast underachievers.

7. JoeShmo

JoeShmo New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...word on the street is this...Simon is probably ok because of some fund raising efforts for new facilities while Vis is probably ok because of AD changes as well as his familiarity for being there for the last 85 years of the program. I am not saying that it wont happen, rather that it sounds like they may be a little safer than we would like to think, despite the fact that they may very well be underachieving.
    The loss of Rob Beccerra to US Soccer from Stanford is a massive blow to Stanford. Olson and Gryz are solid assistants, but few assistants hold the weight of such a great assistant as Rob. He was beloved by players and was a very versatile recruiter. However, our national program is much better served to have bright young coaches like Rob in their ranks.
    PS This is not Rob, rather an admirer and a colleague.

8. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    How very diplomatic of you. :)

It's really shocking how far these two programs have sunk. USF recruits a ton of foreign players, yet it still can't compete against programs who can only recruit locally. As for Stanford, it fields teams in about 30 sports, and I doubt there's a single one as bad as their men's soccer.

9. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Univ of Pitt coach Joe Luxbacher. Move to ACC makes this a good job. They have new stadium but same results on field - lousy.

Currrent season: 2-5-1 and just starting Big East schedule
    2010: 6-9-2
    2009:2-12-2
    2008:7-8-3

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Bret Simon must be one hell of a fundraiser because he damn sure doesn’t merit keeping his job based on his team’s on-field performance. Yes, his first two seasons at Stanford were fantastic. But they were also with players who had largely been recruited and coached by Bobby Clark, one of the best teachers in American soccer. Ever.

Quite frankly, I’m not sure how Simon justifies keeping Never mind this year’s one win-start so far. The program, since those first two years, has underachieved all but one season and his tenure, despite the great start, pales when compared to his predecessors.

Here’s how Simon’s first 10 seasons at Stanford compare with the 10 seasons that preceded his arrival, the first 5 under Colin Lindores, the second under Bobby Clark.

Code:
    YEAR	Overall		Conf.	NCAA Tournament
    2010	8-10-0		4-6-0	NONE
    2009	12-6-2		4-4-2	Third Round (Sweet 16)
    2008	4-11-3		2-6-2	NONE
    2007	7-6-5		4-4-2	NONE
    2006	7-7-4		5-3-2	NONE
    2005	4-11-3		1-7-2	NONE
    2004	7-6-5		2-4-2	NONE
    2003	3-15-2		0-10	NONE
    2002	18-4-2		5-3-2	Final (Runner-up)
    2001	19-2-1		6-1-1	Semifinals (Final Four)	
    ---
    2000	18-3-1		6-2-0	Quarterfinals (Elite Eight)
    1999	12-4-3		5-1-1	First Round
    1998	18-5-2		5-2-2	Final (Runner-up)
    1997	13-5-2		3-1-1	First Round
    1996	10-4-4		1-2-1	NONE	
    -----
    1995	5-12-1		2-5-0	NONE
    1994	5-12-2		3-3-1	NONE
    1993	8-9-2		4-2-1	NONE
    1992	11-8-2		5-2-0	First Round
    1991	12-4-5		n/a	First Round
    Simon: 89-78-27, 3 NCAA tournament appearances, 5 winning seasons (2 of which were 1 game over .500)
    Lindores/Clark: 112-66-24, 6 NCAA Tournament appearances, 7 winning seasons

And, given that this year’s team is off to a 1-4-1 start and has been outscored 10-5 and was humiliated on national television, it doesn’t appear that this year he’s turning things around.

Given all the resources Stanford has and as appealing as it is as a college destination because of academics, facilities, weather, reputation, athletic conference, etc… It’s hard to believe the program couldn’t do better.

Yes, I know the academics and the cost make recruiting at Stanford a challenge, but the other non-revenue sports on The Farm seem to manage to be more competitive. Simon’s predecessors managed to be competitive and other expensive, academically elite schools like Duke and Northwestern manage to be competitive.

So, when you see all that, it’s hard to see the cost and the academic requirements as a valid excuse for the continued underachieving.

11. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Why does a coach have to raise funds at stanford?

12. socceramerica1

Feb 1, 2007
    How long does Syracuse stick with Ian?
    Going into to the ACC not sure he cuts it.

13. Teletubby

Teletubby Member

Dec 10, 2004
    You mean the guy they just hired!

14. socceramerica1

Feb 1, 2007
    No I mean the guy they hired last season jackass....

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Don't be a dick.

His point was that Syracuse's current coach hasn't completed his second season and as such, perhaps it's too early to judge whether he can turn that program around.

Given how recently he was hired, it wasn't an unreasonable statement and certainly not worthy of breaking out the nastiness.

16. maccatheman

maccatheman New Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Way too early to judge Syracuse.....In taking over a program such as that things take time to change...one being getting his own recruits in and changing the mindset and attitude of the players....(also cutting some of them probably!)
    The next two years or so will determine the hire...the fact McCourt didn't want to leave Monmouth for the Syracuse suggests that it could be a tough place to win....even so....too early for Syracuse coach to appear on this thread.....

17. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    McCourt didn't want to leave period and that included Rutgers in his back yard so not sure you can blame that on Syracuse ability to win.

18. eder11

eder11 Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "bobbie clark best teacher ever"...how you know so little of the game. I once remember Bobbie Clark being quoted the following : "I never play my holding midfielder (defensive midfielder/screenning midfielder/mascherano/makakalle) a ball from the back into midfield, because he will be loose possession every time, so we never playe there"...what a coward statement (no wonder he left the international sceen to hide in college soccer)...anywhere in South America or Europe or relative to whatever level you want to dispute thats a statement from I guy who kills the game! I guy who probably is does his chalkboard talk with 4 different color dry erase markers but never really hits the point!

19. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    I'd love for you to produce this quote.

20. eder11

eder11 Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    go to nscaa archives of instructors at their acclaimed convention clinicians.

21. Branko Segota

Branko Segota Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Isn't that where he has Dillon Powers playing right now? I've seen them play 3 times this season, well 4 with the UofL match on Saturday, and he's played the holding mid. He sure seems to have quite a bit of the ball.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Why, yes it is where Dillon Powers is play and, yes he does seem to have quite a bit of the ball.

Also playing D-mid once upon a time for Bobby Clark? Ryan Nelsen and Simon Elliott, both of whom went on to play in the Premiership and in a World Cup.

I'd say Bobby knows a thing or two about developing and effectively using holding midfielders.

But hey, why let actual evidence get in the way of a good rant.

23. midfieldmadness

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What about Salcedo at UCLA? Do folks think he'll lose his job if they don't get at least to Elite 8 again in the tournament?

24. footieprophet

footieprophet New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    I've always wondered about this too. UCLA underachieves in season, but always does some kind of damage in the post-season. I wonder if they consider that successful or not. Just seems like they have too much talent to be putting out the results they do.

25. eder11

eder11 Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure if you all saw northwestern vs notre dam but ND couldn't gain possession of the ball let alone have the holding mid on it.