2012 WPSL Elite Boston Breakers

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Ben James Ben, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Starting a new topic for 2012 WPSL Elite info.

Reposting, with Breakers-specific info called out:
    http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/boston/news/general/120209-Breakers-are-back.aspx
    From an email sent to 2012 season ticket-holders:
    From an attachment to the email:

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hmm... the new website name is long. I know WPS was criticized (at least on the boards here) for having something that couldn't be typed in quickly. Oh well.

I guess this is also the thread to talk about player announcements, etc.? Same article quoted in first post:
    http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/boston/news/general/120209-Breakers-are-back.aspx

3. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well thats great news overall.

5. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    (Cross-posted from the WPSL forum.)

Interestingly, a second Boston-area team has joined the WPSL Elite league. Aztec MA is based in the North Shore area (Beverly).

http://twitter.com/#!/BostonBreakers/status/169441573858328576
    The Boston Aztec previously fielded a "Boston Aztec Breakers’ Reserves" team in WPSL, although I never really understood the relationship between that team and the Boston Breakers. I'm guessing that the Aztec MA might be a formed as a non-professional team under college eligibility rules.

I hadn't expected a second team so geographically close by. It would seem that there are now twice as many home games to attend for fans in the area. I wonder how having a second area team will affect Breakers attendance and ticket sales?

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  7. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Completely confused. Can someone explain the difference between W-league and WPSL and WPSL-EL and Riley's Supergroup? ... i.e., in which ways they are or are not connected to WPS? Forgive me if this is an utterly stupid question.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    W-League: Existing league beneath WPS; all amateur (I think) but in the past has had pro/semi-pro teams
    WPSL: Existing league beneath WPS; mostly amateur but has some pro/semi-pro teams
    WPSL-EL: New "league" within WPSL that's focusing on more professionalism, currently housing 3 ex-WPS teams
    Riley's supergroup: just sounds like a training camp to me.

AFAIK none of the four have explicit connections to WPS as entire organizations, though individual teams have connections to WPS teams (e.g. Boston Aztecs)

9. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    The question is a bit off-topic. This topic is about the Boston Breakers in the WPSL Elite league. (Though I concede that there might not be many better places to discuss differences between W-League and WPSL without the discussion getting heated.) I think that a WPSL-based league was the right choice for Boston. Based on what I've read, WPSL is more lightweight and agile than W-league as far as league governance and administration is concerned, making it easier for the Breakers to join.

In other news, a third Massachusetts team has joined WPSL Elite, the New England Mutiny based in Northampton, MA about 2 hours away from Boston:
    http://www.mutinysoccer.com/021612-MUTINY-ELITE.html

To be honest, with three teams in the area I'm feeling a bit dizzy thinking about the number of games to attend this year. I hope it's not too much. I don't want to burn out like that one year when I had season tickets to baseball.

Breakers tickets this year seem to be more expensive ($12) compared to the other teams' ticket prices last year (New England Mutiny $6, Boston Aztec Breakers Reserve $5). I wonder if ticket prices for the other teams will go up.

10. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want to see ELITE teams, you have to pay ELITE prices! ;)

Seriously, my understanding is that the costs for these teams are going to be significantly more than for a standard WPSL team - you can't blame them for setting ticket prices accordingly.

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be interesting to see how the Mutiny attendance turns out. With Smith, Amherst, Hampshire, U Mass, and Mt. Holyoke all within a small radius, that's a lot of the "intellectual elite" -- meaning faculty and staff -- in the area. In my mind, that's a potentially very good audience for quality women's soccer. It's not a densely populated area, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

12. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mutiny should indeed be interesting. I initially went to college up I-91 in southern Vermont. I used to go malling at Holyoke Mall, and used to use Bradley Field in Windsor Locks, CT. From that, I've heard that Spfld. and Hartford are only about 26 miles apart. So, UHart really isn't all that far, and I guess UConn as well, though I've never been east of I-91 in CT, so I don't know.

But yeah, that should be very interesting, and I hope that's a good market for the EL.

13. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Thank you!!

Last questions: what is the point of having TWO sub-WPS leagues? Do they serve entirely different regions, pick up towns and cities that the other does not want to include, or just, in effect, act as competitors? And, when the WPS comes back, will all the players immediately jump ship or could this cause trouble for WPS?

14. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're talking about the W-League and WPSL, they're pretty much competitors after the WPSL broke away from the W-League in the late 1990s. The WPSL is less formal, cheaper, controlled by the teams, and based on the west coast, while the W-League is more formal, more expensive, controlled by a central office, and based on the east coast.

I could imagine that some players might choose to play professional at a lower level if that's an option, given the uncertain job security with WPS, but I would think most would want to play at the highest level available to them. It's not as if they have a whole lot of job security to start with.

15. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
  16. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    WPSL W-League

One broke off from the other, so that makes them competition.

I'd say the top names go back to the WPS. non-WNT stars have flocked to European and Nordic teams pretty much. Obviously, USWNT players would stay home for camps and what nots so there's the reasoning for them to join those teams.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  19. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. That's pretty close to my house. Only thing better would have been playing at Tufts (I think the WUSA Breakers considered playing there).

21. e20mo

e20mo New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    I agree that I was surprised to see the cost of tickets per game for the Breakers Elite team. While the Breakers are proving they will be an "elite" team with many former WPS players on it, I've yet to see the same commitment from the other teams. I guess once rosters are finally out we'll see how things stack up. But I don't know how open I am going to be to treking two plus hours to Somerville to see the Breakers destroy an amateur team pretending to be worth the "elite" tag. I'm more likely to stay closer to home and hit up Mutiny games, especially when they play the Breakers.

22. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Well I live nowhere near the northeast and I already bought my pair of season tickets to the Breakers. I will continue to support these teams. I hope they get back on track next year.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Breakers will have a very good team. The Red Stars will be no chopped liver. They've already signed some good players in Chalupny, Buczkowski, Julianne Sitch and I'm sure Cinalli and Weber will sign again. I don't know but maybe Ella Masar might play after her France stint.

Don't quote me but I've heard rumors that FC Indiana will have a lot of Haitian National Team players.

WNY Flash may keep the likes of Bock and Sinclair.

So there will be pretty good competition. The point is we don't know how good because the signings are barely trickling in.

Once the schedule comes out then IMO there will be a rush to sign more.

I still say the WPS in the form that it was is NOT coming back. If it does, it will be in a morphed form between what it was this past year and what you will see this year in the WPSL Elite. If owners pocket books do not empty as fast this year in the WPSL as they did in the past 3 years in the WPS, this league may look more attractive to the owners then we think.

24. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't agree with you more. For starters, the Breakers deal to play in Somerville instead of Harvard has to be saving the club a ton of money in rental fees.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, there is also a big drop in attendance . Breakers averaged steadily around 4500 over the 3 years at Harvard. Dilboy is 2500 seats. That will be a big hit.