2012 WPS is On!

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Mattymags811, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday, the USSF sanctioned WPS for the 2012 season with the stipulation that the league expand to 6 teams for 2013 and 8 teams for 2014. Now that there is a league in 2012, who do you want to see brought in to the team? How many USWNT should we make a run for? Would it be better to have a strong solid non-Olympic core to make the run for the cup?

As of this moment, the following players are 2012 Breakers:
    GK: Alyssa Naeher Kati Jo-Spisak
    D: Alex Scott Elli Reed
    MF: Leslie Osborne Keelin Winters Meghan Klingenberg Katie Scheopfer
    F: Kelly Smith Taryn Hemmings

We all know that Hemmings, Smith, and Schoepfer play multiple positions, this is how they are listed on the roster. Bold are players that SHOULD be sure-fire starters no matter who is brought in. I'd argue Hemmings should be too, just not sure where her true position is anymore.

2. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Non-Olympic 2011 Breakers that should be brought back: Liz Bogus, Kasey Moore, Nikki Marshall, Jordan Angeli (not sure where rehab is at this point)

I'd add Dieke to this list, but my guess is she joins Scott and Smith on Team GB.

3. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that Kelly Smith is a surefire starter at this point in her career. She was a non factor at the World Cup even before her injury and isn't even a first choice for the
    England national team anymore. I hope the Breakers aren't planning on building a team around her next year...

Philly has Chalupny and Kai...Atlanta has Press...those are huge acquisitions because the national team players are going to miss as much time next year as they did this year. I think the Breakers do need to have a strong non-Olympic core to be competitive. If Angeli is ready, that's a big plus. I'm not sure how Lindsay Tarpley's recovery is coming along but bringing her back to Boston (not likely to be with the nat'l team) would be nice as well.

4. Flea2009

Flea2009 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Kirkcaldy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    She has been injured since the World Cup so can not have been any kind of choice for the 3 games England played before the Serbia game where she played 20 minutes, that was her first game back since August when DiCicco put her in as a sub again despite her not been healthy.

5. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also currently under contract for the Breakers is Megan Mischler, at least according to Our Game Magazine.