2012 squad news

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by usa3por2ft, Apr 18, 2012.

1. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Great for Great-Britain :p

3. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    You are bad. One thing - its a blow to Great-Britain because she had the sort of hot-looking potential that could have gotten the British game some spotlight during this home event.

4. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is bad. I am bad. I think Faye White is a handsome lass but I also pride myself on appreciating beauty that is less glamorous than what the average guy goes gaga over.

I think the Brits will have plenty of "hot-looking potential" with Jill Scott on the pitch. Not my type usually (so thin!) but striking features. Also Rachel Brown is quite a looker. There's a few others -- including, of course long-time faves Kelly Smith and Alex Scott.

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Regarding pretty team GB players Rachel Unitt can be put forward for example.

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    if team gibi* wants to boost their hottie factor they should send scotland instead of england. might not be a bad sporting move either, if the pair of recent matches against france i saw are any indication. the added bonus for everyone is that HP stays in the bottle.

*madame powell is much more shadok than gibi anyway; she's mastered at least these two time-honored axioms: 1) if there's no solution, then there's there's no problem 2) to keep discontented players to a minimum always whip the same ones.

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    This team has way too many Rachel's.

Unitt
    Yankee
    Brown

Might as well change Kelly Smith to Rachel Smith.

8. Flea2009

Flea2009 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Kirkcaldy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I was assuming she would pick Bardsley and Gemma Fay.

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i was much impressed with jane ross in scotland's match against france.

10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Team GB shortlist reduced to 49 according to one of the England players. Only the final 18+4 will be disclosed to the public.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    a shortlist you say? is that 49 or 149? or 490? as we say in french, n'importe quoi!

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The original long list had about 150 to 180 names I think.

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    le grand n'importe quoi!

14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The original list had all the available Welsh, Scottish Northern Irish and all the players freinds of Hope Powell. Originaly no Davison or Flaherty.

15. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yeah, man. I thought I saw your name beside mine and Henry Thierry on the long list.

:D

16. scousekiwi

scousekiwi Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Canada:
    http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-wnt-nominates-roster-for-london-2012-olympics-p150988

Columbia:
    http://www.colfutbol.org/index.php?...es-2012&catid=61:seleccion-mayores&Itemid=112

Team USA:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Womens...ndhage-Names-2012-US-Olympic-Soccer-Team.aspx

Team GB:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18592483

Football Ferns:
    Being announced on Friday 29 June, after the squad returns home from its two-match series against Australia in Wollongong - second game today! :))

Cheers,

JR

17. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Team GB squad a joke as expected, actually she managed to squeeze 2 Scottish girls is a surprise, was really expecting 22 English players. No Welsh, 1 Northern Irish goalkeeper....bizarre.
    The old guard is there except Unitt and White who is pregnant.

19. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Glad to see Kelly Smith recovered in time. The Olympics on home soil will be a fitting swansong for her career.

Sad to see no N. Ireland or Wales players, but I suppose there was no requirement to take them. I've never seen either side play...do they have standout players?

Too bad Julie Fleeting was so opposed to the idea of Team GB. She's an brilliant, instinctive striker, and at 31 probably will never get to play in a major tournament. With the WWC expanding to 24 teams in 2015, she might have a better chance, but it's still a long shot. Ah well, patriotism does funny things to the mind. On the one hand I understand where she's coming from, but on the other hand it's a chance to play football on the world stage!

I remember the Scottish FA being vehemently against Team GB as well. I wonder if Little and Dieke will be punished for taking part?

20. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Wales had 2 real candidates who are outperforming their English equivalent Jess Fishlock a defensive midfield and Helen Lander a center forward. There were also a lot of English players sidelined by Hope Powell not for footballing reasons like Davison, Flaherty, Potter, or retired like Chapman orSanderson.

Kelly Smith is a big gamble, she played 15 minutes last Sunday, probably will play 90 against Chelsea on the 5th of July and that's it. 1 friendly for team GB and straight to the games opener.
    Not the optimal preparation IMO.

If the Scottish FA punish Little and Dieke, they will simply remove 25 % of the team potential really, they can't do that or they can say bye to the Euro 2013 right now.

22. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You can't just blame Powell for putting together the heavily English dominated team we all knew she would pick. Instead it's the English FA you should be taking aim at this time, as it's their lazy choice of coach which started the Team GB ball rolling in it's very obvious direction. A fresh coach would have given an amnesty to exiled talents, opening the door for a genuinely new footballing identity for any future GB teams too.

Should be interesting to see how Powell wastes the talents of Little and Dieke though :rolleyes:.

23. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    @ Shlj , did the omissions of players such as chapman,davison,potter or sanderson are due to problems with the coach or teammates ?

24. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    IS there going to be a GB team next Olympics or is it going to be each UK country has their own team qualifying for the Olympics? If the GB team is just a one off than, they should have a mix of players from the UK not just a dominate amount of English players.