2012 playoffs

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Whitecaps10, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first match will be the Battery vs Harrisburg at Blackbaud Stadium on the 25th.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep kick off at 7:30

while we were beat by Harrisburg recently, it all came after a red card and playing the majority of the match with ten men.

We beat Harrisburg at home 3-1 so I feel we can take them But Harrisburg had an ammazing playoff run last year. Can they repeat it?

3. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's what makes playoffs so good. I can't stand it when people say that MLS should be like the Premier League without playoffs. Everything that happened during the season doesn't mean much, Orlando's great season could be over and that is what makes MLS/USL/NASL better than the PL

4. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the Battery have any players injured?

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sean Flatley is injured but he isn't a normal starter. other than that I imagine a few guys are feeling the aches and pains that come with it being late in the season but I doubt any of them would admit them!

6. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    My preview of the playoff tilt:

http://thesportsburger.com/2012/08/...elf-as-city-islanders-enter-usl-playoffs.aspx

It's a tough match to call in my opinion. Harrisburg had tons of injuries throughout the regular season which prevented them from fielding a consistent first team. As you know, the Battery closed the regular season with a big swoon. Neither team was appreciably better at home or on the road, and both have excellent goalkeepers. The Battery boasts a more potent attack in terms of goals scored, but the City Islanders played without Sainey Touray and Morgan Langley for stretches of 2012 (which allowed Lucky Mkosana and Yann Ekra to log quality minutes).

Whitecaps10 repped this.
  7. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    I think both results are misleading. As you note, the recent match in Harrisburg is deceptive because of the red card, and the 3-1 Battery win in June is deceptive because the City Islanders had played the night before in Orlando and were trying to keep some players fresh for the Open Cup quarterfinal several days later. It's single elimination so who knows what to expect? As you pointed out, the City Islanders put together a nice run in the playoffs last season, including a quality road win in Rochester, so anything is possible. Any word on ticket sales for Saturday? It'd be great to see a good crowd in Blackbaud and both teams at full-strength (although Harrisburg has a few questionables for the match). Good luck!

8. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The City Islanders won the last match this month 3-0, but the Battery won back in June. There is nothing like breaking out the chips and dip and watching a soccer match on a saturday evening and I will be watching for sure. Good luck to the City Islanders.

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the front office has been pushing hard this week with interviews on local TV and radio. Social media has been strong too. They are also promoting $5 tickets for college student.

That said, it is going to be tough to fill the stadium. Just tough trying to push a match with only six days to promote.

I expect a great match. I know the boys are ready and up for it. I wouldn't expect anything less from the Harrisburg City players. I'm hoping the weather is good. right now its looks about perfect but we've a had a lot of thunderstorms and a tornado warnings (quite a few waterspouts were seen along the beach this afternoon)

10. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match is tonight. It's going to be a tight, Harrisburg looked good the last time I saw them

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed but I have faith in the Battery. Weather is great here today. Well be tailgating in our usual spot near the East Stand Entrance.

12. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harrisburg has scored . It's 1-0 now after 25 minutes.

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but the Battery score two and win the match 2-1. should have put away a couple of the early chance and the few of the chances at the end of the match. Still Harrisburg totally took the wind out their sails with the first goal. Getting the two goals right before half got us back in the match.
    Great effort all around.

14. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Congrats on a well-deserved win and good luck in Rochester. I didn't get to see the entirety of the match, but you guys looked strong in the back and dangerous on counter-attacks after Harrisburg threw everyone forward looking for an equalizer. The semifinals are, in my opinion, intriguing matchups, I wish we had national tv outlets for them, but I suppose USLNation will do (last night's feed wasn't great but your radio guy seemed pretty knowledgeable). Anyway, safe travels to Western New York and good luck the rest of the way!

Mikey mouse repped this.
  15. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a good win. I had to go out after the 1st half ended, but it was the right call by the ref to give the penalty at the 40th minute. Rochester will be a tough opponent, they are very good on the backline

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester is a tough draw but I feel there finish to the season was buoyed by the great start they had to the beginning of the season. the Battery loss to them here but we out shot them 23-3 and pretty much dominate the match except for one lapse in the back. the 4-0 win there will also be a big confidence booster.

Harrisburg through everything at the Battery for about the last 20 minutes. We had several chances to put the game out of reach toward the end of the match. Sadly our main speed demons Dane Kelly and Navion Boyd had to return to their clubs in Jamaica . Something about the rules of the Jamaician FA but I can help but think that if those two came in late in the match they would have wreaked havoc. Cuevas nearly had one but was dead tired and Mark Wiltse should have had one as well.

17. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Somehow I missed this, were these players on loan? And it couldn't be extended into the playoffs? That's a major disappointment, you'd really hope that everyone is full strength in the postseason.

18. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah they were all three on loan, Tthe first I heard of it was when Dane Kelly said something to me at the player appreciation picnic we held the Sunday before. It's tough when they take three players, two who were regular starters out of your roster.

We also lost Salli Bundu who transferred to a team in Azerbaijan a couple weeks ago.

The good thing is, they were late coming so our early season results reflect more the team that played on Saturday minus Bundu.

Plus I am watching DC close this year as Dykstra is on loan to us as well. Keep expecting him to get called back at any moment too

19. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Hamid hasn't been very good recently. it won't be a surprise to see Dykstra called up. It's hard to believe that just recently that Bill Hamid was considered to be the US national team keeper of the future.

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dykstra has been called back a couple times this year. If you look at the rooster we have like five keepers registered. On is a 17 year old kid who just started his Senior year.

21. jackmann

jackmann Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Cowtown
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see you guys advancing in the playoffs. Good luck the rest of the way

22. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game is tonight, at 7:30 at Sahlen Stadium.

23. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando City will also face Wilmington at 7:30 tonight at the Citrus Bowl

24. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, I'm hoping we defeat the 'Nos but also pulling for Willietown to get by Orlando to set up a Carolina Final. Would be great to overpack our quaint little stadium for the championship and have a 1,000 Knucklehead fans travel down Hwy 17 & join us for an awesome atmosphere.

Whitecaps10 repped this.
  25. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see the Hammerheads advance as well. They have a good team, but facing Orlando will be tough, they have had the battery's number so this year.