2012 Olympic Qualifying.

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by ceezmad, Jul 25, 2011.

1. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    1. It will almost sure be a 'sedded' gruop consisting of the host(UK), the holders(US) and the best rated team left (most likley Japan)

2 .Leaving 2 UEFA teams to be drawn into the F and G groups (UK have alreday been given the E group)

Leaving: 1 AFC team (that can not be drawn with Japan)
    1 CONCACAF team (that can not be drawn with US)
    2 CAF teams, 2 CONMEBOL team, 1 OFC team that all 5 can be drawn in anygroup so far

3. I think there will then be created a three team pool that can be freely drawn into any group, hopefully consiting of CAF+OFC (but knowing FIFA could as well be CONMEBOL+OFC). And drawn one into each group.

Leaing two spots in E group and one each in F and G. And 1 AFC team (that can not be drawn with Japan), 1 CONCACAF team (that can not be drawn with US)
    and 2 CONMEBOL teams

4. Since only one of CONMEBOL temas can be in group E, joining the two one team pools and then drawing one of them to the E (the group with UK) group

5. The only team left except the two CONMEBOL teams are noe eitehr North Korea or Canada and they can not be drawn in the group with their co-confederation team (either Japan or USA) so draw one of the CONMEBOL teams to that group.

6. Two teams left both can be drawn into any of teh groups withpalces left so join the teams to one pool and draw them to the remaining spots.

I am pretty sure about 1. And except from the order of 2 and 3 and if they will use CAF or CONMEBOL I am pretty sure about that to. 4-6 are a pure guess, to maximize fairness without FIFA having to change teh way they like to draw these things.

2. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    That would make sense, but things like sense have litle or no impact on FIFA. So in all likelihood the draw will be done as FIFA always do it, one pool of seeded team and the rest of the pools based on Confederations in some way (small changes and varriations appear every time).