2012 MLS All-Star Candidates

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by ChaDuRi671, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Six Vancouver players are candidates for the 2012 MLS All-Star games. If you guys can please vote for them. :D

Joe Cannon, GK
    Jay Demerit, D
    Young-Pyo Lee, D
    Camilo Sanvezzo, F
    Sebastien LeToux, F
    Davide Chiumiento, M

http://www.mlssoccer.com/all-star/2012/vote

2. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Wouldn't we rather they don't make the game so they can rest?

JohnnyRanger repped this.
  3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already voted for Lee. He's been first class all season. Last night's assist on the first goal and otherwise fine overall play is just another example.

As for the rest, Demerit and Cannon have both made nice comebacks from marginal and somewhat dicey 2011 seasons, but I couldn't bring myself to vote for them. Le Toux, Camilo and Chiumiento didn't seem worthy of consideration, not that they've played badly overall.

4. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Vote ad nauseum for the RSL players, not ours.

We have a very congested schedule in and around the ASG... having our studs there and then travelling back/to/from is madness.

DO NOT VOTE VWFC!!!!!

5. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    This may be the first time you have agreed with me.

6. VegasNYC

VegasNYC Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Australia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He has only played a short time but Id put Mattocks on the list. The guy has been great since he started.

7. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Can you guys who want to vote for Caps explain to me why you don't want our star players to get some rest during that break?

8. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Its a slim chance of all these guys making the team, but maybe YP Lee would make it. Also seriously we need to give our 2nd strings guys so chance to play, so they don't start criticizing their coach. *ahem Long Tan*

9. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    So you think we should start our 2nd strings in the game after the all-star game just so some of our guys get to play in this pointless game? Strange thinking.

10. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    YP Lee is very important to VWFC, therefore I want him on less planes playing less irrelevant minutes and playing for the team paying his paycheque or for his homeland. Glamour friendlies under any auspices whatsoever (testimonials and preseason games excluded) are useless imho.

11. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No, I didn't say the entire 2nd string. Also there is a very slim chance that any of these players (maybe YP Lee) going to the All-Star game, but if one or two of these guys get chosen for the All-Star game would great for players like Long Tan and Greg Klazura.

12. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lee & Demerit easily in my 1st XI

13. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I just had my daily vote to vote up the players from RSL and other d-bags like Henry, Beckham, Boyd, :D

14. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    WHY DO YOU WANT TO HAVE WHITECAPS IN THE GAME AND LOSE VALUABLE REST FOR OUR LEAGUE GAMES????????

15. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not a whitecaps fan, why would I care? Lol. I was just saying Demerit & Lee deserve it as a neutral MLS observer

16. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Cannon was at the top of the league recently for clean sheets. And he's far more active around the 6-yard box and in the air this year. I say he deserves a nod.

17. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The league doesn't really want WC players there anyway, I doubt any WC players get in regardless. But if it keeps you yelling at your screen, I'll keep voting Caps.

18. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So we had one man, arguably our most important single player, play in the ASG last night, and he was the only MLS Player to play the full 90 IIRC. Thanks MLS. We have a game for Jay to play 48 hours from this game at altitude and he's going to be knackered.

On the bright side, I thought he was MOTM last night, and to give the MOTM award to Pontius was laughable... it should have been imho 1: Demerit or 2: DeRo

19. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was Rennie I'd sit Demerit for this game v. RSL and hope whoever fills in can take care of business. He's too important a piece of the puzzle - and too far gone on the other side of 30 - to risk playing him another 90 minutes on Friday night after a long plane flight in between the ASG and Friday night. Sometimes it's just better to be safe now than sorry later. If you don't get any points out of the game as result, so be it; even with Demerit the Caps are underdogs in this one to begin with.

20. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Would you expect anything else from MLS? The way the ESPN boys talked all night, you'd think the league stopped at the 49th parallel. And with Morrow and Valdes playing in the back, take your pick of any other of the WC defenders who would have been better picks in their place--not to mention passing up clean-sheet leader Joe Cannon for a keeper several spots below him in the West standings.

The MLS began as an American development league after the 94 World Cup. I think they're still very loathe to let any Canuck-based team show up any American squad. So with two games coming up with RSL, where the WC could either surpass or come to within a point of 2nd place in the West, of course it made sense to play Beckerman only 30 mins, while Demerit played the full 92. I've been accused here of having my tinfoil hat on a bit too tight when I suggested something similar last year. But I don't think the possibility of such biases can be ignored. In Garber's heart of hearts, the nightmare scenario is still an MLS final between Montreal/Toronto and Vancouver, held before a capacity crowd at BC Place. All of the US would have to watch an MLS Championship game in a foriegn market, between two foriegn teams, played in a facility unmatched by anything (save Seattle) that any US market can produce. The idea of being "shown up" wouldn't begin to cover it. It just wouldn't make sense, and most Americans wouldn't even watch--the ratings would plummet.

So give the MVP to De Ro, a Canadian? Or Beckham, another foreigner who played well? No, no--it must be an American who leads the league's all-stars to victory against the European Champions--not some foreigner. De Ro already has his league MVP, so he must be content with that.

But I could be wrong about the bias/conspiracy; it could all just be basic stupidity. After all, the league did knowingly hand the game to Baldomero Toledo.

21. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I hear ya... but I think the MLS being used as a tool for the USMNT is long gone... how many actual starters or important pieces of the USMNT play in MLS now? 4- maybe 5-6? Landycakes, Wondo, Beckerman, and Brek Shea?

There's a decent number of guys on the fringes for the USMNT in MLS like Demerit, Pontius, Sapong, Bunbury, Gonzalez and Pearce...but the Lions share all play overseas.

You are correct with respect to viewership, ratings etc though.

I think them naming DeRo Captain of the team for the ASG instead of Landycakes sorts that bit of the argument out....

22. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    True what you say about Dero being made captain, and the other points as well. I still think there is an anti (or maybe just strong "America first") bias in MLS, but it may not be as organized as I think. Maybe it's more a gut-reaction thing from the various Americans who run the league. That sort of thing really rubs me the wrong way, so I'll admit I'm sensitive (oversensitive) to it. Anyway, back to my tinfoil hat...