[2012 Matchday 18] Union @ New York Red Bulls - July 21, 2012 p/d/p [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Jul 16, 2012.

1. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would have made a difference was something as simple as making diagonals towards the near post, which was vacated for the entire match. The midfield should have helped in that cause. It's soccer 101. Part of the problem is that Hack continues the two-defensive midfielder set-up, so it subtracts from the numbers we get forward into the area.

I also think that in this 4-3-3 that the outside forwards on the opposite side from where the point of attack is coming do not do enough to get into threatening positions. There needs to be better off-the-ball movement from a number of our forwards, but even when someone actually does make a run into some space, what happens typically is that the guy with the ball hesitates or takes a couple of extra touches instead of just quickly playing the ball into space. That gives the defense those extra couple of seconds to close the space and angle.

2. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from the limited interaction i've had with him, it seems as though he has never made a mistake on the field

3. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a former ref, I found that attitude to be helpful during a game. After the fact, however, I was willing to admit my mistakes. From what I can see, his mistake was not blowing the call, but being out of position.

4. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't think Pajoy is strong enough for this league. I had hoped that he would provide the kind of physical presence to either draw in attackers or shake them off. And we should not blame the old "MLS is a physical thug league" saw either: given two equally skilled players, the stronger one will hold off the weaker one.

5. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have coached several youth teams. In practice, i try to emphasize that diagonal runs will break down a defense. We run drills and full speed simulations during scrimages. When it comes to games that matter, the players go back to running straight on the goal.

I imagine professional coaches spend all their time saying: Diagonal Runs, Knee over the ball, and Triangles. It seems really hard to get players at all levels to do this at game speed.

6. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I don't Pajoy is a true striker, anyway. I think he's more of a holding forward, a la Alejandro Moreno, who will look for the open man because he doesn't always have the wherewithal to shoot. He can shoot, but he'll only do it when he feels he's open enough. He seems to work best in a 2-striker formation, as opposed to being in a 4-3-3. He plays significantly better when being the distributor in attack, as opposed to being a primary target.

7. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If you went to the Aston Villa open practice you would have seen that they spent half a practice on diagonal runs. Wish our coaches had been there and picked up some coaching ideas instead of thinking they know it all....

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Fairness to The current coaching staff, they haven't had many full practice sessions since taking over for Nowak. It's been playing games every 3 days since Hackworth was placed in charge. I hope wesee the benefits of a less congested schedule in August, I.e. more practice time to get his system in place and work with our younger players more.