2012 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup preview/results discussion [R]

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by Blue and White Army, May 16, 2012.

1. Blue and White Army

Mipo Dockyard
    Oct 14, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Fantastic first round of action today - upsets aplenty! I was surprised how poorly so many of the USL PDL clubs did today.

Looking forward to seeing a few USASA (D5) clubs taking on some professional opposition in the second round.

2. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall results:

USASA is 4-5
    PDL is 10-6
    NPSL is 2-4
    USCS is 0-1

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the PDL at 9-7 and the NPSL at 3-3.

Also, home teams were 7-9.

Why?

Firstly, these are all teams that are roughly the same level of play. Secondly, the PDL teams didn't qualify, they were selected based on last year's records, which may have been accomplished by a largely different group of players. Lastly, most PDL teams have only been together for a couple of weeks. (PDL teams went 4-4-1 in the first round last year, but they were playing pro clubs, mostly.)

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5/22​
    Jacksonville United vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies​
    Chicago Fire PDL vs. Dayton Dutch Lions​
    Harrisburg City Islanders vs. Long Island Rough Riders​
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds vs. Michigan Bucks​
    Wilmington Hammerheads vs. Cal FC​
    Carolina RailHawks vs. PSA Elite​
    Fort Lauderdale Strikers vs. Fresno Fuego​
    Orlando City SC vs. KC Athletics​
    Charleston Battery vs. Reading United​
    Rochester Rhinos vs. Brooklyn Italians​
    Aegan Hawks vs. Richmond Kickers​
    Georgia Revolution vs. Atlanta Silverbacks​
    Des Moines Menace vs. Minnesota Stars​
    San Antonio Scorpions vs. Laredo Heat​
    El Paso Patriots vs. Charlotte Eagles​
    Los Angeles Blues vs. Ventura County Fusion​

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Third-round possibilities are out, with at least five and possibly as many as 15 MLS teams hosting.

Houston goes either to Laredo or San Antonio (the latter would be really interesting)
    Chicago either travels to Michigan or hosts Pittsburgh
    New England either hosts Long Island or travels to Harrisburg
    New York either travels to Charleston or hosts Reading United
    Chivas USA either travels to LA Blues or plays Ventura County Fusion somewhere TBA
    Los Angeles either travels to Carolina or hosts PSA Elite
    Seattle either travels to Atlanta or hosts Georgia
    Salt Lake either travels to Minnesota or hosts Des Moines
    Colorado either travels to Tampa Bay or hosts Jacksonville
    Portland either travels to Wilmington or hosts Cal FC
    DC United either travels to Richmond or hosts Aegean Hawks
    Kansas City hosts KC Athletics or Orlando
    Columbus hosts Dayton or Chicago PDL
    Dallas hosts Charlotte or El Paso
    San Jose hosts Fresno or Fort Lauderdale
    Philadelphia hosts Brooklyn or Rochester

So Laredo, San Antonio, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Charleston, LA Blues, Carolina, Atlanta, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Wilmington and Richmond can all host MLS teams if they win on Tuesday.

bigredfutbol and Jasonma repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I note the despite the "random draw" for hosting only the MLS, NASL, and USL squads were drawn to host in the 3rd round. Any PDL, NPSL, and USASA team that wins next week will have to go on the road for the 3rd round. 5 of the 10 USL squads can host, as can 5 of the 6 NASL squads.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only a random draw if your stadium is a suitable facility. NPSL and USASA teams (and most PDL teams, likely) don't measure up. It's not a completely random draw - only in the case of a matchup where both teams' facilities are up to snuff and both teams have agreed to pay 15% of the gross gate receipts or something.

Jasonma repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh that's right, I forgot about the percentage agreement and stadium requirements. So probably a safe bet none of the lower league sides could host.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michigan bucks are PDL, they would host the FIRE if they win.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think it would be highly unlikely. Des Moines you'd figure would be okay. Fresno, probably. But the financial thing enters into it, then, too.

11. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a good point, I should have taken that into account when making picks. There was a slight bias towards PDL in my picks.

12. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think Fresno could have hosted, the baseball team is away on that day.

No idea if they submitted a bid or not.

I guarantee they would draw significantly more people than San Jose will at Stamford.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know the coin doesn't take that into account, right?

14. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so fast. The % of gate receipt "tax" is only for the portion of receipts above $100K. Blackbaud only seats 5K and our tix range from $10-18, we'd never hit $100K in gate receipts. As for the flat fee of $12K/$18K which you would have to pay, when you consider your team avoiding the travel costs, that something to consider, particularly if you had to fly.

kenntomasch repped this.
  15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I always assumed USSF paid for travel expenses.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they did at one point back in the day, but not anymore.

From this from last year:

Matthew Delicate's header from the doorstep in the 85th minute Tuesday night did more than give the Richmond Kickers a 2-1 upset victory over the Columbus Crew of MLS in the third round of the U.S. Open Cup tournament.

It also earned for the Kickers the $10,000 bonus earmarked for the Division III team that advances furthest in Open Cup play.

The Kickers travel to Sporting Kansas City for the July 12 quarterfinal. Much of the $10,000 bonus, Cowlishaw said, will be consumed by travel expenses to and from Kansas City.

17. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really excited to see how things go down after the second round, especially in Texas. FC Dallas potentially hosting El Paso, and Houston possibly traveling to Laredo or San Antonio. I'm really hoping for Houston/San Antonio. Should be a bonkers game.

Overall, I'm liking the new system. Making some MLS teams travel will increase some revenue. A game in Carolina featuring the Galaxy will be huge, along with Seattle/Atlanta. This should be a super exciting Cup this year.

Side note, really surprised by Kitsap. I thought they'd make it farther. Shame about Portland Phoenix. Would have been a neat story if a team from Maine had made any kind of run

18. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Changes for the 2012 U.S. Open Cup Tournament

The following list highlights the changes made for the 2012 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Tournament:

• Home teams starting with the First Round until the Quarterfinal Round will be determined by random selection from among those clubs who have applied to host and meet the minimum venue
    requirements (see page 8). This method replaces the sealed bid process.
    • The method for determining Hosting Fees from the First Round until the Quarterfinal Round has
    changed (see the Home Game Revenue Report Form on page 34). Fees for each match will now be set at 15 percent of the gross gate above $100,000 plus $12,000 for Third Round games, $18,000 for
    Fourth Round matches and $25,000 for Quarterfinal contests

2012 U.S. Open Cup Travel Reimbursement Limits

First Round through Semifinals: U.S. Soccer will reimburse airline, hotel, meals and ground transportation for the visiting team (if necessary) not to exceed $8,000 per team (based on 20 people per team, 11 hotel rooms [including bus driver] not to exceed 2 nights, and meals not to exceed two days at $35 a day for each person [$8 breakfast, $12 lunch, $15 dinner]).

Final: U.S. Soccer will reimburse airline, hotel, meals and ground transportation to the visiting team in the U.S. Open Cup final not to exceed $11,000 (based on 25 people per team, 14 hotel rooms [including bus driver] not to exceed 2 nights, and meals not to exceed two days at $35 a day for each person [$8 breakfast, $12 lunch, $15 dinner]).

19. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just posted on Facebook that tomorrows game in Sanfor is free to season ticket holders. Thanks Phil, as always looking out for the devoted (and saved me 30 bucks). Gates open at 530 for the 730 kick-off. Should be a packed house on that little field. Welcome Kansas City, hope you enjoy your time in the city beautiful.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a very low per Diem, but better than nothing I guess.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If they didnt, the amateur teams would have to drop out if the travel was more than a bus trip. No way a PDL team could afford to go from Cali to Florida on their own dime on such short notice.

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even so, that $8,000 ($400 per person if the team really limits itself to a 20-man traveling party) is unlikely to cover the expenses of any team that has to fly somewhere.

24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine most teams will limit their travel rosters. I wouldn't be surprised with a squad of 16 including a coach (that would give them $5oo a head)

The teams still pay this upfront, the USSF reimburses the travel expenses (recipes have to be fax'd, forms filled out, etc) so it can still be a huge out of pocket expense for teams. And I can only imagine the USSF is the fastest when it comes to handing out money....

Like someone said, at least it is something.