2012 IIHF World Championship

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by Real Corona, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With professional players at the Olympics on big ice:

Canada gold (2002)
    USA silver (2002)
    Russia silver (1998)

2. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    I do agree that the 72 series is playing on a stereotype, they should stop airing that.

The rinks are not going to change in NHL, simply because of $.

That said, the best players in the world are in the Stanley Cup playoffs, so IIHF WC is a second rated tournament.

As much as I like Ovi, he needs to learn how to play defense, as fundamentally it makes him less that a well rounded player (even Ilya is playing defense for the Devils because he wants to win a Stanley Cup!) and therefore not a winner.

Look in the mirror before calling anyone a wiseass, wiseass.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You seem very butt-hurt over the fact that hockey is played in 2 regions of the world where, admittedly, there are 2 different prevailing styles of play. You must really hate soccer which is played in 8-10 regions of the world, each with their own style. Ironic that you continually post in a hockey forum within a soccer message board then.

I would recommend that you stick to an NFL board where you can argue about the minute differences in style played in the NFC east compared to the NFC central. Hockey is too diverse for you.

[/wiseass #4] :)

4. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would compare Russian hockey to Dutch football, great and pretty style of play, great players produced but as a nation hasn't produced the good as many would think with the amount of talented players they have (this is from 1992 on)

5. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I brought this up last year & so far nobody has commented upon it. In 1976 the NHL & IIHF reached an agreement that NHL players would participate in IIHF WC in exchange for Europe's best playing in Canada Cups. Of course at that time nobody knew the Canada Cup was bogus. IIHF wanted NHL players. So I think the first year NHL players went to IIHF WC was 78-79. Since then until now TV was available for USA & Canada games & fans have the right to see who is representing them. USA TV has refused to show IIHF WC since then until now. We have 400 channels on which to show it. But still the boycott continues. I saw 4 games on NBCSN. USA - Belarus, USA -n Kazakstan, Russia - Finland & Russia - Slovakia. So OK the wiseass might say since 4 games were shown its not a boycott. But the reality is NBCSN was more interested in their propaganda film which keeps the cold war alive than showing USA games. We have the right to see our team. 30+ years of boycott is enough. Russia has given back in good condition all the lands it occupied. Latvia, Lithuania, Czech, Germany, Ukraine etc. All these people were set free to travel wherever they want, whenever they want. This good faith event would seem to have never happened according to NBC for they are keeping our minds in a state of slavery to the old cold war. Russian people can come & go as they please. Comcast has alot of sports channels besides NBC upon which the games could be shown. They are worried about the NHL - worried that fans if their minds were free to see IIHF games that they might decide not to support NHL hockey. They can't afford to take the risk so they do the bare minimum. There has only been one game of KHL v NHL ... why is that? Again NHL is afraid to lose fans.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wiseasses might say its not a boycott when the tournament was on tv. Dumbasses might say its a boycott when games were shown on tv.

crazypete13 repped this.
  7. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Thats what I said.
    Its without a doubt a boycott. There is nothing different now from when the USSR existed. The NHL now has a very bad game of hockey. The players are overweight, steroided out & deranged with a gotcha foolosophy. NHL is owned & operated by Israel. That is the problem.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    No kidding. But I looooooves me some conspiracy theories. I want to know more about how Israel controls the NHL. :rolleyes:

10. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I have heard maybe 50 times on tv how NHL is the best league in the world. History does not agree. NHL played Soviet clubs from 1976 until 91 & Soviet clubs won most of the games. Without having any stats I'd say since I saw almost every game NHL won 20%. On this basis, how can any announcer say NHL is the best? Hmmm? In order to be the best you have to play. So far NHL has been reluctant to play KHL & the reason is clear: They know their prestige is entirely PR & are not willing to risk having the games decide who is better. They already got beat enough times. When you take an NHL team away from their tiny rink they are not able to execute because the ice surface does not do all their work for them. Its alot easier to pay a bunch of people to sing your praises than to actually prove it. They only played once: KHL 5 NHL 2. I'm not going to say any more about who owns the NHL but Bettman has been dictator for 20 years with no end in sight. Who does he work for? If you can answer that then you have your answer.

11. Fox Terrier

Fox Terrier Red Card

Dec 3, 2011
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    What usually happens in the NHL does not happen on a big ice surface. Once NHL players enter the zone they stand around. If you do that on big ice you will lose the puck. If you take a shot in NHL the puck will stay relatively close to the net. On a big ice you have to judge the percentage of a shot because a bad percentage shot will be gobbled up & turned into a counterattack by the opposition. NHL likes to control along the boards. On big ice the boards are very far away from the net. Teams will be happy to allow that knowing as soon as an NHL player makes a play to get close to the net, that is when you shut them down. NHL rinks create bad habits based on how small it is. It is easier to switch from big ice to small ice than the opposite. NHL players are foul prone. They take cheap shots & NHL allows alot of offsides to play on. IIHF refs call all confusion at bluelines offsides. On big ice your passes have to be accurate. If you miss the rink does not return the puck to you. I played on big ice & small ice. There is no room for error on a big ice. Russia has beaten Canada 5 straight times. Canada & USA have gotten to the point that they do not want to play them. Does that sound like NHL is better? Somebody asked about soccer... OK If USA & Canada played Russia who would win? Russia would win every game maybe by 5-0. Who owns MLS? Israel.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't drink and post kids.

13. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union