2012 IIHF World Championship

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by Real Corona, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well phone calls are going out and players are being contacted.

No I don't care as much about the NHL as I do the world championships. Thanks for asking.

Getzlaf and Perry have commented on being willing to play for Canada and without further adieu I gave you the US roster that you guaranteed won't see since only rookies and college players ever say yes. :rolleyes:

* are for players who might actually possibly attend.

Pacioretty*-Conolly - E. Cole
    Gionta-Steckel - Umberger
    Atkinson*- Cullen -Okposo
    Kessel- Ryan Shannon* - Jason Zucker*
    Blake Wheeler*-

Jack Johnson*-Wisniewski
    Erik Johnson- John Moore*
    Corey Potter*- Fowler*
    Gardiner* - Faulk *
    Gleason - Brian Lee*
    Bogosian* -

Montoya*
    Brian Boucher

Now what might a realistic roster look like?

Pacioretty-Cullen-Okposo
    Wheeler-Shannon- Atkinson
    Galiardi-Bjugstad-M. Brown
    Zucker-Coyle- Nystrom

J. Johnson- M. Stuart
    Gardiner - Faulk
    Fowler- Bogosian
    J. Moore

Al Montoya
    Jack Campbell
    Ben Bishop

Hello relegation round!

2. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    What, no Joey Crabb?

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah I'd take him if he wanted to go. Certainly over Zucker, Brown or Atkinson

4. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Yeah, I thought it was better than just subscribing. :D

The whole reluctance to play in in the world championship from US NHL players surprises me. Dedication to the program should be a requirement for consideration for the Olympics and World Cup teams (assuming they'll contain NHL talent).

I know the Canadians have an easier time rounding out a decent team, mostly due to depth, but I've heard Bob Nicholson go on record too many times talking about "commitment to the national program" - so I figure the management turns the screws on players who decline for non-injury reasons.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh

I'd probably rather field the best team possible for the Olympics rather than use the WC as a carrot. Although I'd really like to see at least a team of freaking NHLers there. And I'm not even talking about NCAA players, but Yan Stastny from the KHL!

Of course all of our players drop out due to injury, everybody is injured this time of year. Most of them just don't give a shit.

Thankfully we have Jack Johnson who pays his own way to play for team USA, which is cool.

6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I hear that, but since seedings for IIHF tournaments are based on IIHF results - I'd want my best skaters there to avoid relegation - not to mention some sort of continuity playing together.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it'd be nice. I think the issue is of course the tournament has zero presence in North America. It's slightly known in Canada, but completely unknown here other than as a bit of a circus show. Combine that with Canadians having way more patriotism tied into their hockey team and a deeper team you see Canadian players showing up more and in better quality.

I mean last years squad was almost entirely 2008 and drafted later players.

Duchene
    Eberle
    Kane
    Pietrangelo
    Schenn
    Skinner
    Tavares

The US also sent it's best post 2008 players

Fowler
    Stepan
    Kreider (NCAA)

ohhhhhhh

Just can't compete with that depth, combined with our players apparently not really caring and we suck.

Of course, we sent our best ever team to the WOrld Juniors last year and pure awesomeness happened there too. :rolleyes:

8. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    John Carlson - there - I hope that helps.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddN_6yWXG34"]WJC-TV 2010: Canada 5 - USA 6 - YouTube[/ame]

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Eberle
    Hall
    RNH
    Tavares
    Skinner
    Stamkos
    Perry
    Getzlaf
    Duchene

And that's just the possible top 9

Evander Kane...Benn(if Dallas miss out)..Rick Nash.

God damn:D

I still remember the game against France last year where during the warm up the French players just stood and watched the Canadians warm up for minutes on end not really doing much themselves for a few minutes.

11. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It is a shame that Price is out with concussion because I would of liked to see him between the pipes for this event. Seems the last couple of years they sending over a u23 side pretty much and I would like to see few more experienced players. Great team from all the teams out of the playoffs right now would be

Perry--Getzlaf--Nash
    St Louis--Stamkos--Eberle
    Tavaras--Staal--Benn
    Ladd--Ott--Downie
    RNH

Subban Myers
    Phanuef Bouwmeester
    Robidas Hamonic

Ward
    Harding

12. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US team doesn't took completely terrible

Bobby Ryan---Paul Stastny---Kyle Okposo
    Max Pacioretty-Nate Thompson--Nathan Gerbe

Alex Goligoski--Jack Johnson
    Cam Fowler---Justin Faulk
    Jeff Petry

Bachmann

14. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Saying in Edmonton that is RNH got the invite but needs to pass a medical

15. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    dissapointed Nash and Stamkos refused the invite....wish Canada took this more seriously:(

Nash doesn't want to risk a injury in case of a "trade" this summer and Stamkos has a sore shoulder.

16. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nash been a loyal servant to hockey Canada so year off isn't that worst thing, would of liked to see Stamkos showcase his talents on the big ice though I doubt his 2014 will be in any danger by not coming out.

17. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah forwards are a little weak, but that's actually a pretty good blue line that should generate some scoring chances.

By the way, do you guys know if Landeskog is playing for Sweden?

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year our top line was JVR-Stepan-Wheeler, and was followed by college and KHL guys. So yeah, it's a step up.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that perhaps Blake Wheeler would be added, which would be nice.

21. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Greetings from Denmark :) .... one of the absolute smallest Ice Hockey nations at the WC (probably along with Kazakhstan and Belarus)

... and by smallest, I'm not really thinking of size or population, but the climate in Denmark is not well suited for traditional winter Olympics sports and the past 10 years we have gone from having only 16 rinks to the present 24 rinks and just around 4,400 registered hockey players including women and children, which is why I believe we still must be among the very smallest at the WC :D ...

But the youth development here is still very good and the league I guess is decent, though the few real top players soon leave for especially Sweden.

As for the national team, it has managed to stay in the top level WC the past 10 years in a row, mainly due to some good "Viking" fighting spirit and team-work and also a bit of luck at times, though in the later years we have seen some Danish players move to the NHL, which has now clearly improved the quality of the national team, even though we are only talking about a few players.

At this WC Denmark will be able to field more NHL players than ever seen before (Jannik Hansen, Lars Eller, Frans Nielsen, Philip Larsen and perhaps also Mikkel Bødker)... and they all seem top motivated to do their very best, especially since it is neighbouring Sweden hosting the Danish team at the WC in a group also including Norway and neighbouring Germany.... so perhaps they should all watch out for a better and highly motivated Danish team this year :D

The Danish squad (not quite up to date):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark_men's_national_ice_hockey_team

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Yeah Danemark! One of the up and coming nations in the sport.

Last time I was at the IIHF WC, the Danish fans were some of the best.

23. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although if Phoenix keeps winning, that will mean that Bodker won't be able to join unfortunately.

For the US, perhaps we'll see a Schneider or Kesler or Pavelski join up now that their respective clubs' playoff runs are over.

24. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada has a number of good players dropping from the playoffs, it's going to be fun to see what players decide to come over. It would be nice to get couple of players from the likes of Neal, Burns, Valsic, Letang, Staal, Crosby, Hamhuis, White (could be few more names like Del Zotto, Staal, Girardi, Richards, Toews, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, Bolland). I know a lot of long shots in those names but maybe with Canada needing a strong showing to improve their rank for 2014 might convince a few more to go.

Makes you wonder why Canada bother picked up Schenn last week when they were better players available once the first round was over or even could be had now.

25. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, yes Bødker may be a long shot, unless they start losing.... but Jannik Hansen, Lars Eller, Frans Nielsen and Philip Larsen were all quick to agree that they will play for Denmark at the WC... and according to the NT coach there is still hope that Nicklas Jensen (AHL) may join up as well....

Otherwise Denmark mainly depend on players who have played or are still playing in the Swedish league, like the brother of Mikkel Bødker, Mads Bødker, Morten Madsen (former AHL), Julian Jakobsen, Nichlas Hardt, our "Swedish" (born) player Jesper Jensen and our "Russian" player Kirill Starkov, which is good since we are playing in Sweden, so they will feel partly at home and no doubt are keen on showing their best.