2012 Hot seat or getting warm seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Cliveworshipper, Apr 11, 2012.

1. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Clive, no need to drag your name through the mud. You are wrong on this one and everyone but you knows it. My arguement isn't that every SEC school has made a great hire or that every ACC school pays poorly. I am simply saying that SEC budgets and salaries are much higher for women's soccer on average than the ACC. You can argue that the ACC has the best coaches and is the best conference. Legitmate arguement and you'd probably win that one. Budgets and salaries aren't close.

A catalog from 20 years ago has nothing to do with current budgets. Baker was an ACC coach 7 years ago and the National Coach of the year when he went to the SEC. It's debatable whether 7 years would be relevant to this converstaion. I say yes. You say no. I can live with that. I never said the TOP coaches were being hired away. Bramble went to an Elite 8, Baker a Final 4 and Penske was National Coach of the year. Not exactly slumming it.

You are twisting words, making unsubstantiated claims and fighting a losing fight. Swanson, Dorrance and Krikorian make good money and have top jobs in the country. I am not arguing they would leave or should leave. Krikorian makes good money. Swanson less than the top half of the SEC.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The article on Pensky leaving is January 27, 2013

The Washington Post has an article from December 11, 2012 that Maryland jumped

Maybe the Mayan calendar thing threw you off.

3. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    It's common knowledge in the coaching world that the SEC pays the most and has biggest budgets for w soccer.
    Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to leave so cal for Alabama, ole miss, lsu or even Florida or Georgia but I'm no coach so I don't have to make that call. I'm sure they are very nice places to live but that would be a tough sell for me.

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Apparently it's a tough sell to the top ACC coaches as well.

5. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    I made no statements concerning which were better jobs, who were better coaches, or why someone should or shouldn't leave. My only statement was the the SEC pays more and has more resources. You made statements such as "Women's soccer sees none of that money." That simply is not true. Whether Swanson or Krikorian should or would leave is an entirely different discussion. I doubt they would, but again that is an entirely different discussion.

As for Cromwell at UCLA, that seems to be a good fit. After a disaster of a process, they seemed to get their person. Or at least a person who makes sense. I still can't imagine the UCLA would want CP. Nolan would have been great.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, we agree on Cromwell, anyway. I didn't think UCLA would pony up to get her. It will be really interesting when the San Diego Union publishes next year's state employee salaries.

I think it's a great hire, if the announcement is real.

As to the rest, my response was to the claim that the SEC was hiring away the ACC coaches. No matter what their gobs of money, they haven't ponied up enough to do that. The SEC is a Football conference, the best in the Nation. But they are not the big dogs in women's soccer. That has been the ACC since the sport began and still is.

7. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Brian Pensky coached the 2012 Fall for UT. At least according to the University of Tennessee website. If you are going to attempt sarcasm and humor, you should really get your facts correct. Why you are arguing something you clearly have no clue about is beyond me. Stick to UP and you should be fine.

Morris20 repped this.
  8. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    I realize I am bordering on flaming here and I apologize. Again your statement is false.

I have given 3 examples in the last 7 years of ACC coaches who were at the top of their game, who were hired away by SEC schools.
    Pensky- Was the National Coach of the Year and a National #1 seed. Maryland was and still is in the ACC.
    Baker- Was at FSU, went to a Final 4 and was hired away from UGA.
    Bramble- Took Clemson to an Elite 8 and was hired away by Alabama.

I agree they are not the big dogs in soccer. You said the SEC had not hired away ACC coaches. That is incorrect. You can argue that they those were good or bad hires. You can not argue that the SEC has not recently hired away ACC coaches. Opinions will vary, but I think on message boards, facts are important.

9. Wayne Famous

Wayne Famous Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    This is a coach that UMBC would not work with back in the 90s because she was too busy with the USWNT. That's a travesty to think now that she will be coaching one of the best programs in the nation. Funny - no mention of UMBC in her bios anywhere and they would love to have the 10-win seasons now that she had her 2 years there. Wish her all the best.

13. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    It seems everyone has found their appropriate level, congrats to Cromwell - it's nice to see someone step up who's so clearly earned it!! :D

14. worthyofbeing1

Oct 23, 2011
    Will people be claiming this is a good hire when her teams don't win the national title like Ellis?

That's standard people set Ellis up too.

15. BruBru

BruBru Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Cromwell said this herself in the press release. With this much talent year after year (and the 2011 class still basically in tact), this is of course an expectation. I guess that US Soccer is always hiring, however, regardless of results.

16. OMG1

OMG1 Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Who will replace Cromwell ????

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Your credibility just went below zero.

18. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Eddie, I am confused by your post, but let me see if I understand what you are saying here.... I don't know the history of her tenure at UMBC.
    Are you saying that because she was to occupied with the USWNT that UMBC dumped her in the 1990s when she had 10-win seasons? And that UMBC would be delighted to have 10-win seasons now-a-days? (I see that they won only one game last year.) Is then the "travesty" you are referring to that UMBC dumped her when she has turned out to be a very credible coach and now has deservedly taken a plum job?

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Soccerhunter, I may stand to be corrected, in which case, EddieK, I apologize. I may have misunderstood your post.

20. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Cromwell

21. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I typically don't like to respond to what appear to be personal comments regarding my posts but Soccerhunter is exactly correct as I believe Morris was initially as well. UMBC had a great coach on their payroll and now have among the worst ws programs in the nation while that same coach is now poised to lead one of the premier programs in the nation - just pointing out that irony is all.
    And when I said no mention of this in her Bio's, I meant the ones she controls at UCF and now at UCLA - that's the bit of slam on UMBC that I think is notable.
    Wikipedia and the UMBC archives are where you can confirm she coached and won 20 games in 2 years there and that UMBC has only won 1 game in the last 2 years and no winning record for over 1o years now.
    And I'm not usually offended by or feel like I have to prove something personally on an anonymous forum. Just trying to make points worth reading or contribute to the conversation and kind of hope to piss someone off now and then...
    Now continue your weekend.... :)

22. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    http://issuu.com/ucfwomenssoccer/docs/2009_yearbook?viewMode=magazine&mode=embed

23. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Eddie K: Sorry, but you stand corrected in assuming there is deception involving Cromwell's history at UMBC. You say there was no mention of this anywhere in her bios at UCF, when there clearly is. And don't expect the UCLA SID announcement to include her entire resume. Their stated total career wins for her did include those at UMBC. Check your facts, before you attempt to make a point.

24. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Using the magic internet machine I counted 2237 words in the narrative of Cromwell's Bio at UCF (either the most recent website or media guides) and No Mention of UMBC. She had 2 winning seasons as a Division I head coach and no mention except in her official stats as a coach (which most SID's and the NCAA would probably insist are tracked). So, what's your point again? You think she's proud of her days at UMBC? You think UMBC is proud they had her and let her go? I think the evidence is clearly the opposite. It's a rags to riches coaching story any way you look at it (but she was always an accomplished player). I hope she does well....and now that UMBC will have a new AD soon, there's a chance they will to some day.