2012 Carolina Challenge Cup speculation

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Battery posted on FB that they will have an announcement on Thursday about the 2012 Carolina Challenge Cup.

Who would you like to see?

2. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York, while Henry is still playing...

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would like to see Henry not sure the Irish boys would like to see him though....

4. StagsUnited72

StagsUnited72 Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD
    Officially announced today, DC United will be back to defend the Carolina Cup along with the Coffee Pot. The Tourney starts February 25th and end March 3rd.

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC is the first team announced for the Carolina Challenge Cup.

http://www.charlestonbattery.com/news.asp?y=2011&page=1&id=654

Dates will be Feb 25 - March 3.

looking at the calendar for MLS teams LA, Toronto and Seattle are playing the first league of the CCL March 5-6 so doubtful any of them will participate (although word is TFC will play in the WDW during the same week as the CCC)

The Walt Disney World Pro Classic will be at the same time in Orlando so far it will be Sporting KC, Toronto and Orlando but will feature 8 teams leaving 5 more teams to be announced. no word if all the remaining teams will be MLS teams

remaining teams to be announce later.

6. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brrr....starting in February. Wonder why the early schedule? Wonder if that was to suit a particular team? The Regiment ought to have a pile of long sleeve tees for sale.....always a crowd pleaser when your nuts have retreated into your body cavity.....

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is starting the second week of March in 2012 and the CCC ends the weekend prior to the season starting.

Definitely need to look into some long sleeve t's again and maybe a new Regiment scarf!

8. Seaside

Seaside Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Heard somewhere after the DC announcement that the Chicago Fire would be back this year as well.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Orlando's WDW tournament the same time as the Challenge? Seems that NY is probably doing Orlando again.

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @seaside I've heard Chicago as well from outside the Battery organization. I also heard someone hint at Columbus from outside the area as well.

yeah it is the same week this year. Do you have link for the NY plans? Not that I doubt you just trying to use deduction to figure out some of the candidates for the CCC. Keeps me busy in the off-season!

more speculation at:

http://www.noquartersoccer.com/2011/11/battery-announce-dc-as-first-team-in.html

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about the new tournament in Arizona, Desert Cup? I think it's Feb 22 - Mar 3. 4 unnamed MLS teams are supposed to go there. But no teams announced yet.

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here is the only thing I can find about the Desert Cup. its dated Sept 29 and looks to be covering about 10 days, but other than location and dates nothing new.

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/sports/report/092911_desert_cup/mls-firms-up-plans-desert-cup/

missed the dates the first time I looked, they are on the right column, under the photo

14. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am on it.

15. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would very much like for it to be Union. Heaven knows they could use the matches.

I am dreaming here, I know...

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery saying via FB that they will make another announcement about the CCC tomorrow (wednesday)

17. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far, all teams with some red in their jerseys .... hmmmmmm, most likely a coincidence :)

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery tweeting they will announce the final team on Monday.

Is it February yet?

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So eliminating those teams in Tuscon, Hawaii and Orlando, who is left to be the 4th team?

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard anything about the Tuscon teams.

But take away Colorado (Hawaii) Sporting KC, (confirmed for Orlando) Toronto FC (supposedly in Orlando) Philly (supposedly part of their contract with Bimbo to preseason in Orlando until 2014)

I would take the CCL teams out of the equation (Seattle, LA and TFC) too.

that leaves quite a few choices and I haven't heard much. there are a few I think are more likely than others for various reason but at this point I would just be guessing really.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, we wouldn't want guessing on BS now would we? :)

Keep up the good work.

24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually it was late and for some reason my keyboard space bar is messed up and I have to hit it in the one place my thumb doesnt hit naturally. Annoying to say the lest!

On a different laptop now so my thinking goes like this.

The Battery obviously is spacing out the announcments for more exposure locally in the media. With that in mind I would leave the last team as the one with the biggest profile. Nationally that would be LA and NYRB with their big name players.

I don't think LA will travel to SC so close to their CCL matches So NYRB would be one of my top guesses.

A two other "big" profile clubs would be Seattle and Columbus. mainly beacuse both have former Battery players that were well liked with and popular with local fans before they made the jump to MLS. Again Seattle has the CCL that would leave Columbus as another one of my guesses.

my last theory would be a club that they have had a relationship in the past whether via USL (Portland, Vancouver, or Montreal) or former participants (Houston, San Jose, RSL) of those I would eliminate Montreal as even though the Battery has had preseason matches with Carolina and the NASL, I don't think there is any love loss with Saputo. If it was Houston, I think they would hold the announcement ntil after the Cup to take advantage of the any hype that would come from that, so that would be put Houston and Montreal low on the list.

My final theory would be one of the clubs that wanted to come last year but wasn't one of the selected teams. (there were eight teams wanted to come but I dont know who the five were that were not selected)

Those are my theroies. Not sure if they will stand up but I know they work hard to bring in teams and it something they work on throughout the season.

REding that post I realize I have much time on my hands and spend too much time thinking about these type of things....

25. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can count on it not being LA or NY. They have huge appearance fees, but LA might be losing one of their star attractions, if the rumors about Beckham going to France are true.