News: 2012 Attendance

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Heist, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first announced doubleheader in a while.

From SBI:
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...o-signs-eckersley-on-permanent-move.html#more
    "DYNAMO-EARTHQUAKES GAME RESCHEDULED AND MOVED
    The Houston Dynamo's regular-season visit to Buck Shaw Stadium to face the San Jose Earthquakes on March 18 has been moved. The game will now take place on March 17 and will be played at AT&T Park in San Francisco as part of a doubleheader featuring Mexico and Senegal's Under-23 teams. Kickoff for Houston-San Jose is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. CT."

I'm sure it'll sell a lot of tickets and perhaps allow San Jose to average well over 10k for the year, even if they aren't all there to see San Jose and Houston at this game.

2. bgix

bgix Bad Penny

Jun 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that this is a "marketing positive" and will hopefully expose more potential fans to the MLS game.

But everyone knows that this will spark "Attendance Thread" controversy, and (certain) people will be yelling "Astrix Astrix Astrix!!!!!"

However, more fan exposure is never a bad thing.

3. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I wouldn't have thought that the Mexico (or Senegal) U-23's were that big a draw in San Francisco.

4. bgix

bgix Bad Penny

Jun 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I may be mistaken, but put any Mexican team near any metropolitan area in California, and the fans will show up.

5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was going to be a good year without the double header anyways. KC won't have the marathon of home games, which hopefully means they'll have a slightly higher average. Houston is getting their new stadium, but is having a seven game away stretch to start off, but should still see a nice bump in attendance. Montreal is joining the league and having their first 5 games in Olympic Stadium and should get very good numbers for their first game, Toronto, New York, and LA games before heading to Saputo stadium where they'll still get good numbers. Seattle is expanding their seating to around 39,000 seats and are, apparently, planning several full stadium games and are expecting above 40k average.

The question is, what effect will the "We're gonna move, damn it!!" threats coming out of DC is going to have there, will the increases at FCD and Colorado continue, can Columbus and NER turn it around..

6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    the Mexican U23 is getting ready for Olympic qualifying that will start at the HDC for them later in March. a friendly in San Jose/San Fran might be a (very) decent draw, although it is hard to know what the true expectations are for ticket sales from the event organizers.

(Is SUM the event organizer, or do they just handle the senior Mexican team friendlies in the States?)

as for DC, I can't imagine that the effects in 2012 will be significantly different (or worse) than what was already experienced (in 2011 or earlier), with respect to the "We're gonna move, damn it!!" threats. the real driver of attendance (for DC it may seem, as they waddle around in search of a path to a stadium solution) would be can United win games at home and be an entertaining and relevant side (as has not been the case in numerous recent seasons).

7. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also on the positive side is the fact the Portland is going to open up more seats (1500 per game), or at least that was the plan. Anyone know if this occurred?

8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, you're right. I completely forgot about Portland expanding to 20,323 seats. So pen that average after every one of their home games and their final average. Unless, of course, they increase capacity for a couple of test games again. :)

9. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    This move by itself should have a significant impact on the >20 000 percentage for the upcoming year.

10. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have screwed this up. They should have committed to Baltimore and used Towson State or the Ravens stadium as a temporary solution or disavowed the idea. They are now appealing to neither market.

It could end up being like the ignominious end to the tenure of the team that was pronounced in Highlandtown ("Hahlintan") as the "Coats."

As reported in Sports Illustrated, Colts QB Bert Jones was toiling away in front of 30,000 or so (for a team that had previously been a tough ticket) at Memorial Stadium, when a fan got up to leave and said, "Turn out the lights when you're done, Bert." Except it will be more like 8,000 at RFK.

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Ugh MLS doubleheaders. This is so MLS from 10 years ago. When can we finally put this to rest

12. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start hating making money.

13. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pleasantly surprised it took this many posts to see someone say this. The difference is this isn't a regular thing and its not done to pad attendance stats. I have no problem with it if its not a regular thing. I actually like seeing a few of these <5 per year leaguewide.

14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its more money and exposure for the Quakes. Other than the fans based in the South Bay, I'm trying to figure out where the downside is.

I love the idea of the Quakes playing games occasionally at Stanford and the Central Bay Area. I think it really helps to broaden the fan base.

15. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Quakes were in a larger home stadium to begin with, or if they were not at or close to capacity then I would see this strictly as an attempt to pad attendance. However, in a 10.5k stadium that they have sold out fairly regularly it is difficult to bring in new people to the crowd in anticipation of the new 18k stradium they will soon be opening. Having this type of event helps WRT awareness and yes marketing. Yes this may be yet another in a long line of MLS doubleheaders, but the motives I suspect are far different.

16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do the doubleheaders actually work though? I seem to recall the stands being pretty empty for the MLS game before they filled in for the marquee game

17. noel R

noel R Member

Nov 20, 2007
    chicago
    Alot of those fans from 10 years ago still think the quality of play is the same.

18. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Ugh MLS doubleheaders. This is so MLS from 10 years ago. When can we finally put this to rest

I'm certain I'm not alone on this one

19. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so has anyone projected attendance at all? Honestly the 18Kish range seems very plausible.

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18k isn't impossible. Just to throw some numbers out, I used a five year average since established teams tend to fluctuate around a certain number unless something big happens (new stadium, etc). I also made some changes here and there based on gut feel.

Code:
    CHI  15,660
    CHV  14,783
    COL  13,781
    CLB  14,225
    DCU  15,000
    FCD  12,857
    HOU  19,000
    SKC  18,000
    LAG  23,090
    MTL  20,000
    NER  14,852
    NYR  20,000
    PHI  18,756
    PDX  20,323
    RSL  16,641
    SJE  12,336
    SEA  40,000
    TFC  20,264
    VAN  20,412
    AVG  18,420

21. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

fwiw, with 323 regular season league games in 2012, an average of 18,420 would get the league a total attendance of 5,949,660.

to get 6M total in the regular season, MLS would need to average 18,575.85 per game.

22. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Curious as to why you put 40,000 for Seattle. Is that the new soccer capacity? Hadn't seen an announcement of that. If so, fantastic.

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The GM said he expects the average to be 40k. I'm not 100% how he plans on getting that, but they opened up the Hawk's Nest, which adds another 2,800 to the capacity bringing it to 38500. The only thing I can think of beyond that is that they usually distribute another 500-1000 tickets beyond the capacity and maybe they are planning on opening up the entire stadium for a game or two again.

24. bgix

bgix Bad Penny

Jun 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe I saw a Hanauer quote that said they intended to do another 3-game-pack that included the "marquee friendly" and 2 MLS matches, like they did with Man-U last year.

25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be my guess too. A couple matches with the full stadium open that get 50k-60k would get them to the 40k average.