2012-2013 global audience of world's sport teams

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by Metropolitan, May 14, 2013.

1. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There are often discussions about the most famous teams in the world, it's probably impossible to compare.

Out of curiosity, I got the idea to check the traffic on Wikipedia for articles related to the most famous sport clubs and franchises. Indeed, Wikipedia is plurilingual which makes the thing more interesting as it reduces the language barriers. Of course, Wikipedia page views depend on who's making the news but it can still give a good hint about global audience in a limited timespan.

Here's the list of Wikipedia articles about sport teams which generated the most page views from May 2012 to April 2013 in 10 languages: English, Spanish, German, French, Portuguese, Italian, Japanese, Chinese and Arabic. The percentage gives the proportion of readership between languages. I find the result quite interesting.

I've tested some other team sports such as Ice Hockey, Cricket, Aussie rule, Rugby or Handball. None of them make it in the top 75. Anyway I won't comment this list, that's your part of the job! :D

May 2012 - April 2013 Wikipedia articles page views in 10 languages
    [​IMG]

docdri and EvanJ repped this.
  2. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Important notice: these figures don't mean anything about popularity or fanbase.

On the other side, they do give a good idea about which teams made the most talked about them from April 2012 to May 2013.

3. staafros

staafros Member

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    For those who care, some US soccer clubs attendance statistics:

MLS average attendance 2013:
    Seattle Sounders 39,066
    Impact de Montréal 32,077
    Los Angeles Galaxy 21,661
    Portland Timbers 20,674
    Vancouver Whitecaps 19,746
    Sporting Kansas City 19,420
    Toronto FC 19,119
    Houston Dynamo 19,098
    Real Salt Lake 18,176
    Philadelphia Union 17,496
    New York Red Bulls 17,166
    FC Dallas 14,897
    Colorado Rapids 14,174
    DC United 13,761
    Columbus Crew 12,840
    New England Revolution 12,678
    Chicago Fire 12,108
    San Jose Earthquakes 10,409
    Chivas USA 8,045

Highest NASL attendance since 2011:
    San Antonio Scorpions 13,151

Highest USL PRO attendance since 2011:
    Orlando City SC 11,220

Highest average attendance ever:
    New York Cosmos 47,856

The Tampa Bay Rowdies also did great with an average attendance of 28,345 in the past.
    I think New York City FC will get an average attendance of 25,000 with big stars like Ibrahimovic and a stadium in the right place.

4. docdri

docdri Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Great work, Metropolitan!

Anyway, stats for this month should say much more, because in NFL is not played in May/April.
    Or october should be best, because NBA, NFL and MLB all go (if I'm correct). Some of those american sports were in disadvantage in May/April.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NHL starts before the NBA. The NBA regular season starts October 29.

6. docdri

docdri Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    So November is fairest month for these statistics? I'm not sure with MLB, but it is time of World Series, isn't it?

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2013 World Series will end October 27, 28, 30, or 31.

8. filippomo

filippomo Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Club:
    Modena FC
    These are very good numbers. I think you've an actual league there now. Strange names aside...

9. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because there is nothing strange about the names Juventus or Atalanta.

10. filippomo

filippomo Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Club:
    Modena FC
    Just meant that Real Salt Lake or Dynamo Houston seem strange as they use classic "prefix" used in other countries. Juventus anda Atalanta are not strange, in Italy what is strage is Real Vicenza (LP2), it would be strange if there was a Dynamo Roma as Dynamo if i remember correctly was the prefix for the Ministry of internal affair in most of the warsaw pact countries as CSKA was for Ministry of war/Defence/Army... Just that.

11. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just joking - every country has its share of oddly named teams (Sheffield Wednesday, the Strongest, etc.).

12. filippomo

filippomo Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Club:
    Modena FC
    Of course. Just to say I like simple names, referring to the cities. Toronto FC is good as FC Dallas. And I Think that also the names in an "american way" are good: Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers etc. In fact they reflect the traditions of Usa professional sports. The strange ones are those who refers to european traditions. I mean it would be strange to see a Associazione Calcio New York... as it is to have a Real in Salt Lake.
    Anyway, the numbers are very, very good.

blacksun repped this.