2012-2013 Europa League Match thread [R]

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by AfrcnHrbMan, Sep 20, 2012.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    with all due respect for the opinions of my fellow astronauts, je persiste et je signe.

1-2 is perhaps the trickiest first-leg score of all to play around. when you have the luck to score first and relatively early i think the best tactic becomes clear. hold on.

even a second goal brings only prolongations if you don't hold the clean sheet. and the more open the game becomes, the more you're chasing after a necessary 2-goal difference. of course if the difference in quality is such that you can expect a 4-1 victory with confidence... but that was far fom the case here.

and the players did not play like little girls. they were well-organized, collected and energetic. they intercepted passes instead of laying off the ball, and brought the ball out with a cool head, getting some good counters, even if disappointingly little came of them... but as i said, even a second goal only meant extra time in the final analysis.

2. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    This is all true. But Lyon's goal was never under seige until the team decided to back up into their own half and let Spurs have the ball. Lyon had a better chance of keeping a clean sheet by playing the kind of game that comes naturally to them.