2011 Stadium Rules(changes)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by PhillyUnited, Feb 10, 2011.

1. PhillyUnited

PhillyUnited New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Philly Suburbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is for suggestions on changes to the 2011 Stadium Rules. I really didn't have to many issues with last year's rules, but there is one that I really hope the FO changes this year, well maybe two.

The first is the whole you can't bring your own water into the stadium thing. Pay $4 a bottle or have a fresh glass of Chester(the waste capital of South Eastern PA) from the water fountain... what a crock, especially on those days where it was 100+ degrees. I always opted for the water fountain and asked for a cup with ice while I was getting a beer. On more than one occasion I held up the line because they had to go find a cup and ice.

The second is the fact that you can't bring a sandwich into the stadium. I would love to save a few bucks on food and bring in a Primo hoagie every once in a while. I enjoyed the food at the stadium and would definitely buy food from the concessions at some games. Its a long season and the concessions add up over 17 games.

These are my biggest issues with the rules at this point. I had a great time at the games last year. The stadium experience was out of the world. The food was great and the Prima Pils went down easy. I even used the order from your seat service and the food showed up in 5 minutes. I know the Eagles allow both bottled water and food to be brought in so I hope the Union will consider this change.

Have at it....

2. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allow streamers.

3. MyCynideCathrsis

Feb 20, 2008
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they should do more with the supporters' entrance. It's a nice idea, but if they were to actually implement it as a gate for supporters only it would eliminate the need for some of the other rules such having to bring in flags, banners and etc. (i.e. things allowed in the River End but not the rest of the stadium) so many hours in advance.

I don't know how feasible it would be to close it off to non-River End ticket holders, but when they first announced that PPL Park would have a supporters gate I kind of envisioned it to be something along those lines.

And as the previous poster mentioned, allow streamers. Why allow confetti but not streamers? Confetti is far more difficult to clean up. Maybe they're worried about the streamer assault that we saw a few years ago. If that's the case I'm sure the FO could talk to the supporters and ask that we do not throw them at players.

4. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, I'm fine with no streamers. I hate seeing them on the field during play.

5. Justinquayle

Justinquayle New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I'd love to see the supporters gate limited to river end ticket holders

6. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it wouldn't be feasible since you want the easiest access to your seats from whereever you come in from the parking lot. Perhaps having half of that gate sectioned off of RE ticket holder would work, allowing us to have a direct lane into the RE. Idk I don't think that we need out own gate, but figuring out the flags, drugs, etc problem would be nice.

7. nhlman10

nhlman10 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Meh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i brought in water, snacks, etc on the reg during last season. its summer right, so wear cargo shorts and bring whatever you want. never not once has anyone outside the gates asked me to empty my shorts.

8. PhillyUnited

PhillyUnited New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Philly Suburbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, I wore cargo shorts and they always patted me down and took my water. i guess the point is that you shouldn't have to sneak it in.... they need to allow two bottles and a sandwich in a clear plastic bag. Would love to see the streamers but I think they are concerned about the opposing team peing pelted going in and out of the tunnel, this is Philly after all....

It would be hard to make the supporters gate for supporters only. People walk up from Lot C and that ends up being the logical place to enter. I sit at the other end and usually walk to the Seaport Entrance(finishing beer) but sometimes I use the supporter entrance( porto-potties are full and I gotta go like a race horse). I am a paying member of the SOBs but I sit in 113. As a paying member would I be able to use the supporters entrance?

I think I'm going to throw an email together to the front office early next week based on some of the suggestions on this thread. Keep em coming....

9. soccerman90

soccerman90 Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get water in I took a bottle and wrapped it in a scarf and then put it in my bag. They looked in the bag and I think the person was suspicious but he didnt say anything

10. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow are you kidding me? we should be able to bring in food and drinks? what else... are you upset that they charge you for parking and tickets? c'mon man be realistic here

11. MyCynideCathrsis

Feb 20, 2008
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's actually a pretty good idea - splitting the gate into River End tickets on the right on non-River End to the left, and then just have barriers herding River End ticket holders towards their seats (but not completely blocking the paths to the concessions). This would allow those with RE tickets to enter with flags, banners and whatnot without having to bring them in 4 hours in advance.

12. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand your post. You can take water and food into Phillies games, so why not PPL park. I don't mind the no food, but the water is something that should change, especially for a summer outdoor venue where is can get quite hot and dehydration may be a concern.

13. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my buddy has brought in cans of beer on multiple occasions using the cargo pants trick.... don't know how he got away with that... :p

Also one of the first games at PPL park I was specifically told by a CSC employee that if we put water bottles in our cargo pockets you'll more than likely get in with it.

14. PhillyUnited

PhillyUnited New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Philly Suburbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slitz,
    I am def not kidding. Do you work for the front office? A bottle of water or two and a sandwich is too much to ask? Yes, the Phils and Eagles allow it and so should the Union. Like I said, I would def still buy food at some games, I like the stadium food from the cheesesteaks to the nachos and Chickie and Petes( Still waiting for the Union Pretzels to go stadium wide). Doesnt seem like that big of a deal. Maybe I'll just start smuggling my food in, little mac and cheese in the right pocket, chili in the left, and a couple of beers taped to my crotch.... haha :D

Stop acting like we are like Kansas City or DC or some other low fan base city. We have better attendance than the Sixers. The ownership is banking it.... Shirts, scarves, concessions, tickets.... guarantee they made out way better than expected last year. I think that is why we will be one of the premier teams of MLS this year, and going forward for some years to come.

15. eb684

eb684 New Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I would like to allow streamers as well. We had a good thing going in 101 last season until the Colorado game. Plus, everyone was good about keeping them nowhere near the field.

16. ofeydofey

ofeydofey BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 6, 2010
    Cinnaminson
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still want to stand on my seat again...

17. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had it hooked up last summer for those blazing hot afternoon games.

I brought my camelbak (empty).
    Once I got through the gate I walked to that first concession stand on the left there and asked them for 3 or 4 cups of ice (which they gave me for free). Dumped the ice in the camelbak bladder, went to water fountain and filled it up.

That lasted me until halftime so I went back and got more ice and water. /win eleventyeleven.

In terms of stadium rule changes, I would like for us to be able to have a small number of people who we can designate as being allowed to stand in the aisle. That would really help with spreading chants because then people could see them more easily.

I can understand the position that the security team is in. They can't have the stairs blocked, and letting one person stand there presents the risk that more and more will start doing it.
    But if we designate specific folks at the start of the game, maybe one person per stairway, and properly identify them (maybe with some sort of ID badge thing hanging around their neck or whatnot so security would know they were the pre-designated person) then I don't think it would create a safety hazard.

18. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think the stadium rules could be relaxed a little for the away fans. Heard more than a few Redbull fans complain that they were not allowed to use the glory holes in the mens room.

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing we don't play during the winter, or that PPL Park isn't a battery factory ...

:rolleyes:

20. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes yes yes!

21. JINX_1391

JINX_1391 New Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drugs? Did I miss that day? Or was it just that good of sh!t?

I thought this was gonna be a legit thread....seems like it belongs in OT, under complaints and whining. I get the tifo's, flags, streamers, even standing on seats complaints...but really...bottled water and sammiches! If that's the main point of this thread then FAIL. My best guess the reason they don't allow contraband into the stadium is security.

Joe PCNJ supporters walks through security with water bottles filled with JP5, complaining that it's hot on a summer day. Next thing we know molotov cocktails are flying into the stands and onto the field. Because of the concrete that the seats are bolted to the fire has no place to go but up and out. SOB supporters are engulfed in a matter of seconds, their polyester supporter shirts melting onto their burning flesh. Screaming, burning, smells, terror all because someone wants to bring in water bottles.

I digest, if they are allowed I will most likely be filling them with Vodka.

22. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can bring water/sandwiches to phils/eagles games because that was a long tradition. when they built the new stadiums, at least the eagles tried to change that policy and make it no outside food/drink, but the season ticket base that was coming over wouldn't have it, and had the power to keep tradition.

we don't have the same tradition, so precedent isn't in our favor.

if you don't want to buy concessions, get there a little early and eat by the river.

as for water, the scheduling of games this year has improved a long way. Only four home games all season start before 7pm, and only one of those is in the summer(June 11, vs RSL), so it wont be like last season where there were a ton of 1pm/4pm starts in the peak of the heat/sun. The other early starts are in the spring.

23. Mr Tips

Mr Tips Member

May 10, 2006
    Philadelphia; 138
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    seriously. I don't understand the fascination. it's not a 5-year old's birthday party or a junior high dance.

24. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are just something else to add... not a must have but always fun to add...

25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, I so hope we get padded seat cushions as our STH "gift" this season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]