2011 Rugby World Cup game questions

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by fscat, Sep 3, 2011.

1. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Let me preface this by saying that I don't know a ton about the sport of rugby, so I'm sure some of my issues with this game are due to this.
    I have been playing the new 2011 Rugby World Cup game and am having issues with certain aspects of it, I normally play as the USA:

1) When going against stronger sides, my chances of retaining possession in a line-out are about 50%, is there anything I can do to increase this?

2) In the run of play, when one of my attacking players are tackled against a better side, I often lose possession in the ensuing ruck, what can I do to improve my chances of retaining the ball?

Thanks for any answers that can be provided, I do enjoy the game, but I find it incredibly frustrating that I cannot improve at it, despite how much I play.

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed on lineouts that if you throw to the back it works well. As for retaining the ball in the ruck you need to smash the A button ( on the 360) repeatedly until you see a lock icon replace the A, then you know that the ball is yours.

3. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I've basically given up throwing to the back, it seems like I almost always lose possession like that. As for how to retain the ball in the ruck, I do smash the A button, but it seems like it still a good chance you will lose possession when your playing as "lesser" team.
    I've played enough to realize that the game is just naturally skewed towards strongers sides. For instance if you play as the US v Ireland, you will just naturally lose the majority of your scrums and lineouts and there's a good chance you will lose possession in the ruck. Also, in very convenient times for the opposing side, your team will drop a pass.
    Its a cool game, but its hard to enjoy it if your not playing as a good side.