2011 Roster

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Meinert6, Mar 31, 2011.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 23 players...

I have to believe that Tony/Andy are either waiting to see if anyone of interest gets cut today, or (hopefully) they're on the hunt for another International...

With the players we'll be missing during the WC I can't believe we'll go into the season with an open roster spot...

-----------

WNY cutting Elli Reed in favor of daddy's little girl Alex should give Elli just a bit more motivation for our home opener...

Can't wait!:D

3. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Yes, I hope they bring a more of the Portland style of play (gorgeous to watch).

4. Dartsoc

Dartsoc New Member

May 16, 2004
    Good luck

5. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we'll be getting a new addition to the squad very soon...

via Twitter: AMCrossley

Just signed off on the Breakers first trade of 2011. Exchanging one of our 2012 draft picks for a new arrival. More details soon. #wps

6. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing it's Rapinoe from the CheeseSteaks.

7. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    I think the last thing the Breakers need right now is another player missing loads of time with USWNT duty.

8. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    It's Dallstream for a second rounder in 2012. Don't know about that one.

9. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Dallstream's a good pickup. She can play forward or defender, giving Tony more versatility with his roster. Dallstream has pretty good speed. Saw her in a game last year as a forward against Athletica and she got behind the defense a couple of times but just couldn't finish. She was on that 2008 U-20 team that Tony coached to the championship down in Chile, so he's quite familiar with her skills.

I was wondering whether she can play midfield though, because that's where I think Boston is thinnest with Angeli out.

10. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Dallstream it is!

We now have 25% of Tony's 2008 Golden 20s....obviously he collecting.

So who else can we add...

Def not getting Morgan, Marshall or Kling...but Fountain, Fowlkes and Edwards could probably be had for a price??

Would love to add LeRoux or Nairn next year...If there is one...Glad Jim is confident!

Welcome to Boston Kiersten!!

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Dallstream in person a couple of times when she was playing for Washington State, as well as with the U20s. She's a very good acquisition. It looks like Tony is collecting for the long term. Also, it looks like he's collecting players who know how to play within a team system vs players who want to be superstars. If you go back and study all the information about the Tony's selections for the U20 championship team, a lot of it was about who could play within a team system and who wouldn't. Maybe not the best individual players, but the players who, working together, made the best team.

If you're interested, listen to the interview conducted with Keelin Winters last Fall, here: http://crossconference.podbean.com/2010/10/12/special-episode-02-keelin-winters/

12. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    now, they can play kelly in the MF with no real upgrade up top. boy, how does it look now not paying faby the extra couple of dollars to stay with the team and give them wing speed and a TRUE national level forward? this would have been the season for her coming out party since she'd be a starter. and they couldn't even go after her since santos signed her for 2011 to replace maurine. i had boston winning it all this yr. now, i'm not sure they can finish 4th and score more than 1 goal a game against anyone but atlanta.

[​IMG]

and i dont think anyone for magicjack or wny would want to be traded. why would you leave FREE apts with team mates, good pay and owners you love vs host families? Tina left a starting spot behind in ATL for a condo on the beach, clubhouse and bench spot.

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallstream is probably better than all but 3-4 of the upcoming rookies in the 2012 draft, so this looks like somewhat of a steal. Dallstream was a 1st round pick in the deepest 1st round draft pool (for talented rookes) in WPS history, that being the 2010 first round in the draft. And she was picked up by Boston for a 2nd rounder in next year's draft (which is not nearly as strong as the 2010 draft). Again, it looks like a moderate steal at least.

Some of these WPS trades just don't look like they're even.
    One team always seems to get the clear-cut better end of the deal.
    Now, it's possible that Sky Blue could be clearing up some cap space.
    But I don't think Dallstream is one of their higher paid players (maybe she is, since she was an ex first round pick, but that was by a different team).

Tony Dicicco has assembled a very impressive roster, filled with quality and quantity in both his "veterans" and "young players". I'll break down the young talent below (which is very impressive). He's always building for the future, while maintaining a great roster in the present.

Young Talent
    F - Lauren Cheney
    F - Kelley O'hara
    F/M - Nikki Washington
    M - Keelin Winters
    M - Katie Schoepfer
    M/D - Jordan Angeli
    D - Elli Reed
    D/F - Kiersten Dallstream (can also play forward, but I think she'll play more on defense)
    GK - Alyssa Naeher

That's 9 great young players to work with for the future (who are all barely legal drinking age). If they can pick up another young midfielder and another young defender, then they're set for the future with nearly a full starting line-up alone of sheer young talent.

With Kelly Smith, Leslie Osborne, Alex Scott, Amy LePeilbet, Rachel Buehler, and Stephanie Cox leading the veteran crew (with their experience and leadership), this is a great mix for the team to have for the present and future.

Tony Diccico gets it.

Let's also not forget that Dallstream is not a national team player.
    She will be on the roster when Boston loses a bunch of talent to the World Cup for a few weeks. And with Dallstream's versatility (can play most spots on the field if needed), she will be that much more valuable when their roster and depth is "thin" during the time they lose at least 6-7 (or even eight) of their roster players to the World Cup.

14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008

Yes, they would be a better team with Fabiana than without her.
    But I don't think that's the difference between whether they win the championship or not. She is not a superstar player in the league. She was a good role player with lots of potential to become a borderline star down the road. I don't think she was ever gonna be a consistent WPS all-star though. The Brazilian players look so great playing together, but when you separate them from one another, and put them on a pro team in another county, most of them always look like role players than superstars (Fabiana included).

The only way the Breakers win this title, is if all their offensive players step up, and if they get "adequate play" in the midfield and "consistent goalkeeping" in net. They have great defenders (the best crew in the league). They need to get some more contribution from their midfield, and they need to stay healthy. Their offensive players need to step up (Kelly Smith is consistent, but they need more consistently out of Cheney, O'Hara, Hemmings, and crew). And Naeher is a good young goalkeeper in the league, but is still probably not a "current" Top 5 goalkeeper in the league yet (out of six teams), so that means Boston is one of the weaker teams in the league right now (for sure) in goalkeeping.

15. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    your wrong on that one with mj

16. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    I'm sorry, but that's just laughable. A player who could barely crack the severely flawed SBFC lineup last year and who's been rooted to the bench this season in Jersey is a steal? Just because you're a first round pick in a deep draft doesn't mean you're a great player, and Dallstream has been a massive disappointment thus far considering where she was taken. And discounting the strength of the 2012 draft is foolish. The very top of the draft might be a touch weaker than 2010, but from a second round and beyond view, it has the possibility of being stronger than 2010. When you consider they probably gave up a chance to draft someone like Frierson, Schuveiller, Heyboer, Ochs, Huster, etc. it's an awful steep price to pay, IMO.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point of order: Didn't she have a fairly severe ankle injury last year which very much hampered her ability to take the field?

18. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    I vaguely remember that being towards the end of the season. Please correct me if I'm remembering things wrong.

19. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She played 12 games with 6 starts before an injury (and I think Rampone coming back) and in Aug. she was put on the season ending disable list.

As others have said, with Angeli's injury and the WC, Tony may have felt he was thin on the roster, and both knowing Dallstream and that she had not played yet this season, he called Garbarra.

I think with some trades, it's a matter of "help me, someday I'll return the favor". If a coach does not plan to play someone, why keep her if another coach inquires.

20. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    I hear Aya from Japan might be joining.

21. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting. i have not heard anything like that...

We do have a Japanese NT player training with the team but I understand that we had no intentions of signing her...

Her name escapes me right now...She played at TEPCO with the Breakers players that trained over there this year...

I would love Aya to come here for so many reasons....I really HOPE it's true!:D

22. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Ahhhh perhaps you know more than I do. It is Aya Sameshima, not Miyama. Dont worry, if you got Sameshima, you would get a LOT of class.

But perhaps there will be no signing. Still, you know what "TEPCO" means, I assume.

23. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tokyo Electric Power Company. What do I win??:p

A couple of the Breakers, Taryn Hemmings and Claire Zimmeck were training with TEPCO shortly before the earthquake...They actually ran a fundraising clinic a couple weeks ago to benefit Japan...

I have been told Aya is just here for training and will not be signed...

24. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    I had a look at the roster and I can see why ! This team seems stacked. They have had a poor start but surely they will kick in to gear.