2011 Pre Season top 25

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by TheClockworkOrange, Aug 1, 2011.

1. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    thought we could get some things rolling now that we are only a short time away from the season starting. Anyone care to put out a top 25?

2. BigSalmon

BigSalmon Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was hoping CollegeSoccerNews would stop slacking......

It says "Will be released the later part of July 2011" when you click Preseason Ranking 2011

3. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    Agreed. that was one of the reasons I wanted to get the convo going on here!

I don't know about a top 25, but I'll give out a top 15:

1. UNC
    2. Maryland
    3. Louisville
    4. UCLA
    5. Creighton
    6. Notre Dame
    7. Virginia
    8. UCONN
    9. South Carolina
    10. Akron
    11. Indiana
    12. Wake
    13. SMU
    14. UCSB
    15. Duke

4. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could Furman and/or Penn take one/two of the 10 remaining slots? Maybe toss in FGCU?

5. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    Make your own list and u can put them wherever you want.

6. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad...You asked for a top 25 but only went to 15...Thought you wanted help. Must have just dozed off...

7. Focker

Focker Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Carolina has to adapt to a new system. They lost Eddie Ababio, Michael Farfan, Stephen Mccarthy, Dustin Mccarty, Jalil Ananba, Alex Dixion. That's a lot of talent turn over. #1 start the season? I don't see it.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think there's a huge gap in the Top 10, maybe even 15 teams.

If you pushed me to name a preseason No. 1, I suppose I'd lean towards Louisville or UCLA based on what they did last year and what they bring back as opposed to what they lost.

But after that, I don't really think there's enough difference between, say, Connecticut, Creighton, North Carolina, UC Santa Barbara, Notre Dame, Akron, Virginia, Indiana and Maryland to be able to say that one of them deserves to be No. 3 and the other 5 or 8 or 11.

There just isn't a huge gap among the top teams right now.

9. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    I agree. Parity at its finest. I think its going to be a wild year.

10. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Furman will have a good keeper and good back line, but to be anywhere near the Top 25, they'll need some attacking players to step up consistently. It hurts that their leading scorer from last year (who had a whopping 4 goals) isn't coming back. They have a lot of talented young guys who need to step up.

11. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Ask and ye shall receive:

Goal.com's JR Eskilsons Top 25:

12. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
  13. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    A key member of Louisville's team, one mentioned in the above article, was injured this summer. If the rumors are true, he will not be a factor for a significant (if not the entire) portion of the season. No formal announcement has been made from Louisville so I am holding out hope its not as bad as is being said, but time will tell.

14. BigSalmon

BigSalmon Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Does that certain someone's initial goes something like CR? And no not Cristiano Ronaldo

15. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    CR is doing well..

16. Xfactor

Xfactor Member

May 20, 2011
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Watch Hoyas - lots of scoring coming back

17. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
  18. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    I still feel Louisville is a top 5 team, and could very well be in the final again. They return a ton of talent and have some promising new players.

19. *Oracle*

*Oracle* Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Lancaster
  20. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Re: College Soccer News Check In with their Pre-Season Poll

Two rankings are much more interesting than one.

http://www.collegesoccernews.com/index_files/Page424.htm
    http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...lsons Top 25&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13123361171621

Judging the significant disagreements

Indiana (#15 CSN, #6 Eskil) Indiana has good young talent, but it's too soon to put them near the top five. Verdict: CSN.

Boston College (#13 CSN, unranked Eskil) Talented team with a lot of returning players. Verdict: CSN

Cal (#14 CSN, unranked Eskil) Had a great team last year but lost a ton of players. Verdict: Eskilson

Brown (#10 CSN, unranked Eskil) Pat Laughlin inherited a very good team by the standards of a mid-major conference. Verdict: draw

Ohio St, Mich St, LMU (#17-#19 CSN, unranked Eskil). All good picks in the high teens. Verdict: CSN x 3

Georgetown (unranked CSN, #9 Eskil). Improving program that hasn't reached national prominence yet and also lost a good senior class. Verdict: CSN

FGCU (#24 CSN, #14 Eskil). Promising program that's tough to pin down. Verdict: good pick by both, draw

Wake (#25 CSN, #15 Eskil). Should be ready to return to national prominence after spending 2010 rebuilding. Verdict: Eskilson

South Carolina, Providence (unranked CSN, #17 & #20 Eskil) - Two teams that will struggle to recover from big losses. Verdict: CSN x 2

Final Score CSN 8, Eskilson 2, draw 2. Nice work by whoever runs CSN.

21. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Sacramento State should at least be honorable mention in the polls. They are back to back Mountain Pacific Sports Federation champs and have advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament the past two seasons.

They are only losing three from their starting lineup from last season and have sixteen letterwinners returning from a squad who eliminated Santa Clara last season, before losing at UCLA in the second round (very few beat UCLA in the NCAAs in Westwood).

22. WesternWillie

WesternWillie Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Santa Clara should have been given a low ranking (20-25) as I believe they lost zero starters.

23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Outside of the Pac-10, the state of California looks strong this year. I'd certainly put Santa Clara, UCSB, and LMU in the top 25, and I'd also give serious consideration to Sacramento State, Cal Poly, St Mary's, and CSU Bakersfield. Not saying I'd select them all, but I'd certainly take any of them ahead of Michigan.

Unfortunately, what's likely to happen is that they all beat up on one another and none of them gets a good RPI. If Sacramento State has another good year, they'll probably end up in a second-round game with UCLA, yet again.

24. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Re: College Soccer News Check In with their Pre-Season Poll

It will all start in less than a month so we will see how it all falls out...can't hardly wait.:D