2011 NPSL General Discussion

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by athletics68, Nov 10, 2010.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just thought I'd get next season going since we've closed out 2010.

First news I've heard is that the old A-League San Diego Flash are making a comeback to league play for the first time since 2001 and will be playing in the NPSL. They claim to have chosen the league for stability reasons but ostensibly it's likely the reason was financial. On the plus side they closed out their 2010 expansion season strong with their biggest crowd to date.

Any news on other incoming teams for 2011 or any folding squads? Does 2 teams in SD and the Arizona team mean we might be seeing the SW conference finally reborn?

2. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Plus that Santa Ana Winds team in LA.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SD Boca
    San Diego Flash
    Santa Ana Winds
    Arizona Sahuaros

Is 4 enough for a division? I know there were 4 other groups thinking of joining, was the Flash and Winds two of them?

4. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think the SW division was made up of just three teams in 2008: SD United, Arizona Sahuaros, and the Albuquerque Asylum. (Ok, just looked it up--it's true, 3 teams in the SW in '08). So four is better than three. It would be nice to get a couple more though.

The 2011 confirmed teams (and I assume the conferences/divisions) are supposed to be officially announced by the league after the AGM in January, so I guess we'll find out for sure then. In the meantime maybe we'll get some more individual team press releases/announcements to make the picture a bit clearer.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting another LA area and AZ team would be nice. That way you've got the local derbies in 3 areas, plus you might be able to cut down on long range travel costs that way for teams as well.

6. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Is there any new teams in the north east or in canada?

7. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out east here it looks like there's a group interested in placing a team in Cleveland. There's a whole thread on it in the "Cleveland" board under "USL Expansion".

8. CBSoccer

CBSoccer Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Lancaster Rattlers reportedly "defected" from USL's PDL and would be a fifth NPSL SW division team...

Is there any reason to stay with PDL when NPSL is so much less expensive? Do PDL teams have to get out of a contract with USL?

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't see why they would. Several NPSL teams have made the reverse jump previously.

10. CBSoccer

CBSoccer Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I don't either, but there are a lot of PDL teams that continue to play in the USL...at a higher cost. I was thinking that maybe they paid a "franchise fee" or something that was non-refundable...and that would keep them from shifting to the NPSL.

I can't see any other reason to stay in the USL PDL, at least not in the western region...

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the same reason teams used to make the jump from NPSL to PDL. I think there is a mistaken impression that the PDL is at a "higher" level of play than the NPSL. Even though they're both functionally 4th level leagues.

12. sandiegosoccerlover

sandiegosoccerlover New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any confirmation on 2011 teams for south western division? or north western division? :D

13. Revovilla

Revovilla New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    I totally agree that 4 teams (comfirmed) are better than 3, the level of competition is definately up by having more teams to compete against. Lets hope we have a few more teams join the division. lets hope San Diego Flash is a done deal and that they join back into the NPSL.

14. Diplo

Diplo New Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It looks like San Diego Boca FC will be playing their NPSL season in Balboa Stadium. . .

http://sdboca.com/index.php?option=...a-stadium&catid=116:press-releases&Itemid=491

It sounds like a good idea, however, did this not work for San Diego Flash? I heard they were receiving about ~200 people per match. I am aware San Diego Flash went through their exhibition season and that may be the reason for such poor attendance... I guess it would be interesting to see why the Boca group believe they are going to make this work. . .

Also is there any update on the San Diego Flash Group on joining the NPSL? Or that other shadowy group from the South Bay??

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Flash weren't playing an actual season which means getting 200 under those conditions was actually a good thing. Boca moving to Balboa is a very smart move on their part. Central SD location replacing being out in La Mesa.

16. bsp

bsp Member

Oct 30, 1999
    Look for FC Hasental to join the Southwest division of the NPSL for 2011. Playing out of Thousand Oaks , CA, the club is looking forward to playing at a national level.

17. CBSoccer

CBSoccer Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    That is great news - Hasental (from their website) looks like a solid club, with some well-thought out intentions. I wish you guys all the best.

It looks like the NPSL West could have some great competition this year...I hope it continues to grow...

18. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only one team has ever made the jump from NPSL to PDL (SJ Frogs who consequently folded after making the jump due to the silly costs). I can't announce anything about this year yet...as we are in the process of hiring a new PR person and announcements haven't been made yet. But we have grown again.

I've been a busy person. Southwest is looking good, Southeast is expanding. Those really were the two area's we wanted to expand more in. So we'll see how it all plays out in the next few weeks.

I think you'll be surprised (in a good way).

19. CBSoccer

CBSoccer Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    More good news! Thanks Keem-o!

It would be nice to have another team or two in the NorCal area - as I assume San Diego will go to the SW - which leaves NorCa with:

Sonoma
    San Jose
    Sacramento
    "Bay Area"
    So Oregon (will they return?)

Maybe Santa Cruz will return?, or Chico?
    Sacramento area could surely support another team...as well as the "Bay Area"

Any more good news on the Pacific Northwest area? Is Sebastian Letoux's French Academy still looking for a league to play in - or did he move his club with him to PA? I know there are teams up there in the Portland-Seattle areas, but they seem to have a strong tie with the USL...

20. CBSoccer

CBSoccer Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    So - from the leaks and news here in this thread alone, the SW conference is up to six. That would be a pleasant surprise!

FC Hasental
    Santa Ana Winds
    Lacaster Rattlers
    San Diego Flash
    San Diego Boca
    AZ Sahuaros

Another team in the AZ area would help with travel costs.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. CBSoccer

CBSoccer Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Good stuff - keep 'em coming...looking forward to the post-AGM announcements in January to see where this all ends up...

23. ezstreet

ezstreet Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Topeka, Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on if Topeka, Kansas City or Wichita might be in the mix? Seems like good markets the NPSL could work well in.

24. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States