[2011 Matchday] Whitecaps at SJ Earthquakes | 2011 July 20

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by Fynnsky, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

Date|Time:
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 | 7:30pm PDT

Venue:
    Buck Shaw Stadium | Santa Clara, CA

Forecast:
    Sunny, 24° C

TV Broadcast:
    [​IMG]
    League Position & Form [Last 5 League]:
    Vancouver: 2-10-8, 14 pts, -9 GD [WLLLL]
    San Jose: 5-6-8, 19 pts, +1 GD [TTLTT]​

2. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Has anyone heard who the probable starting 11 are?

3. RD84

RD84 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Tacoma
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only this board were more active :(

4. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If only whitecapsfc.com was more active...

I found this on the earthquakes' website:
    VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC – OUT: FW Atiba Harris (R knee surgery); DOUBTFUL: DF Jay DeMerit (R adductor strain); MF John Thorrington (R calf strain); QUESTIONABLE: MF Russell Teibert (R hip flexor); PROBABLE: MF Davide Chiumiento (R hamstring strain)

5. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I only got to watch the last half, but the team looked pretty damn good if I do say so myself. Ten days off now to build the chemistry and get back from injuries makes me think the rest of this season could be good to us.

6. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i agree with you :eek: ... with 1 more player surely to come by next week-- a dynamic mf-- the season will be on the upswing and i look forward to a much better second half of the season
    whether its because of or in spite of TS is still open to debate

7. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    West Brom seem to think they have Hargreaves, so who is it?

8. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The Caps looked more lively I thought in the attacking third and midfield than the Quakes, but the Caps were sieve-like in the defending of their 18 yard box and final third overall.

Brovsky was horrific and directly responsible for BOTH goals.

Hassli had a stormer, as did Camilo and Salinas.

I'm VERY upset that Rico was subbed out of the game with the Caps having all the momentum with 10 minutes left. TS essentially resigned us to playing for the draw. Unacceptable.

9. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    I thought Hassli was starting to look a bit gassed near the end there, although we definately lost momentum taking him out.

It was reminiscint of one of those early season games where I thought our team actually looked pretty good, esp. with Rochat DeMerit, and Harvey missing from the backline. I thought Leathers had a pretty good game - for a mucker :D

Does Cannon ever play the ball short, he's got a "cannon" of a kick, but we seem unable to win balls in the air with exception to Hassli. In the Man City game, we seemed to work the ball out of the back a lot more, and the possesion was nice to watch.

How did people feel about Jarju? I like having 2 big guys up front, although having chiumento come on for him, it was nice to see someone in the middle of the park taking control.

10. whiteymirbowl

whiteymirbowl Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Kamloops, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I missed most of the game, but managed to watch the final 15 in the first half, and a few moments of the second, and i was pleasantly surprised. We looked like we could keep pressure up front when we managed to enter the attacking 3rd and ball handling was much better. And Hassli looked excellent up front, even when he came back across half to help the wingers work the ball up field. Wish i could have watched more.....

11. falcon83

falcon83 New Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thought the middle of the defence was suspect quite a few times during the game even letting Lenhart walk in alone in the dying minutes for what should have been the game winning goal. Having Boxall and Janicki as the middle of the back line is frightening, where was Rochat? Brovsky had a disappointing game after the good play in the MC game on Monday. Guess thats the difference between friendly and real games. Would like to have seen Salinas stay on the right, thought the two made a good pairing on Monday.

My opinion of Koffie grows with every game. That shot was a howitzer. If he adds scoring prowess to his defensive abilities this team should win some games. Vagenas is a step up from Dunfield.

Very good offensive outburst on the night. The team was able to attack past the 18 yard box on many occasions. Hassli seems to be more involved in the play now than in previous games. Salinas also made some nifty moves to set up the second goal.

12. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Rochat had to go back to Vancouver to be with his wife and (I'm assuming by now) new baby.

13. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I really dislike when players miss games for "births". I know its your kid and all, but you are paid a lot of money to play a sport and should be out on the field. You can make it up to your child with the lavish lifestyle your pro sport wage provides.

Just my two cents.

14. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    dont be such a hard ass-- wouldn't you have wanted your Dad to be there when you were born???

15. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    f&^k me Shiek!

Are you crazy?

You must not have kids... surely to f&*k...

give me strength. :mad:

You have kids ONCE in your life. I don't care who you are and what you do, family first... job second...

16. falcon83

falcon83 New Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Was at the birth of both my daughters, there is no point in my life that will match those two moments in time. I could not criticize anyone who gave up any other event to be a participant in the birth of their own child. For the SJ game Boxall and Janicki were the best available.

Has anyone got further details, the Whitecaps site did not seem to mention the outcome.

Congratulations Mr. Rochat.

17. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    IIRC they had a healthy daughter.

18. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    No I don't have kids. Obviously:)

I do think that the kid "won't remember" so it is not such a big deal, right?

I don't want to upset people here with such a controversial opinion that pro sports athletes should not miss games! It was just a perspective I thought was reasonable.

19. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    If you had kids you'd know exactly how unreasonable your thoughts were.

I was there for both my kids births and they are easily the two most important/cherished moments in my life that I wouldn't trade for anything.

You'll never see a grown man reduced to tears and turn into a blubbering emotional mess until you've seen someone like me experience the pain and suffering of the woman I love birth my two daughters. It truly is a miracle and I wouldn't ever expect any employee of mine to work instead of be there for his family, and I'd recommend anyone to immediately risk getting fired or quit their job if their employer preferred they work instead of be there for their family..

20. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Too bad that many new parents these days a few years after the birth of their children will be more interested in their cell phones than their kids well being!