[2011 Matchday 6] Whitecaps vs CD Chivas | 2011 April 16

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Apr 13, 2011.

1. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

marching from oscar's to the empire field.

[​IMG]

tan long's first game in home turf.

2. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

failed balloon floating, one of the guys tripped :(

[​IMG]

no matter if our team is underperforming or not, the southsiders will always be behind your back.

3. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, this is how I saw the match.

Forwards: Camilo, once again, looks at least twice the striker Harris is and in my opinion has earned the right to be in the starting tandem. What he was able to do on his own, creating space and shot, and what he did linking up with Chiumiento in particular, was something out offense desperately need. Hassli was quiet in the first half, but certainly looked dangerous when he had the ball, then in the second half it seemed like Hassli just didn't have much to offer. I really wonder though how much that had to do with lack of service from the centre of the field. Tan and Salgado also got some time - and that's all I really have to say about that.

Mid: Shit, do we ever need our starting 4 across the midfield. Depth will always be a problem in MLS as long as the salary cap stays as low as it is, and when we are missing Teibert, Koffie, and Dunfield, it's impossible not to feel the loss. We simply couldn't connect well up the centre of the pitch - most of our offense came through the wing - specifically the left wing where Chiumiento looked dangerous for much of the match. Looked dangerous, I said. Not was dangerous. Dede's touch was off nearly the whole game: deft little moves, feints...then the ball would squirt away from him. Very frustrating stuff. I like Knight but I don't want him starting, Harmse didn't seem to contribute much to the attack, likewise Brovsky. Khalfan added a little spark when he came on for Dede, but why take Dede off? Why not take out one of Harmse or Brovsky when it's offense that we needed.

Def: Looked solid enough, especially Nolly who looked sharp and had good command of his box. Chivas could bring the ball forward decently, but they never seemed a sustained threat to score, large due to our ability to close down. Leathers was his usual speedy self, Rochat was a captain of industry.

Bah. Even with depth issues, those two shots off the post hurt. 1 point ain't bad, but it feels like 2 points we didn't get.

4. ShevaDani

ShevaDani Member

Jul 14, 2009
    MIGHTY EUROPE:D
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kraU9LvzOIY"]YouTube - Supporters' groups[/ame]

5. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Was at the game, should have won it in the first half easily even without the starting midfield.

Like someone stated, Koffie and Dunfield are integral to this team, even thorrginton isnt as bad as the two who played in the centre.....brutal.

Hassli is beastly, seeing his touch live in person its clear to see how he stands out.

Chumiento was rusty today, but still could have had 2 assists if knight wasnt average. Seriouslty knight, you know you have no skill or ability to beat anyone 1 v 1 yet you stop the ********ing ball every single time to try instead of using your pace to keep the ball moving first touch? idiot.

Back 4 is good, Leathers is unsung hero so far imho....so steady.

6. marcopaulo

marcopaulo Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Vancouver
    Totally agree, there was no centre midfield and the team clearly had no confidence in them as there were rarely any balls played to the middle. Defence looked solid with the exception of Wagner. Too many mistakes and lapses and too many errors in his passing. Hopefully Akloul and Janicki will be ready for the next game so Rochat can go back to the left side. They played well considering the injuries but there is a clear dropoff from some the starters to the bench.